The Student Room Group

A Level resits

As you all know, today is A Level results day. Sadly I didn’t get the grades I needed to get for the course I wanted to do and I’m just wondering if you guys think it’s possible to (re-)learn/revise all subject content for the autumn A Level exams in order to get grades I need (A*AA).

Should probably note that I haven’t touched a single textbook since March either.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Silxnt1
Just wondering if you guys think it’s possible to (re-)revise for the autumn A Levels in order to get grades such as A*AA?

Hey, hope you're doing well. If you don't mind me asking, what were you centre assessed grades and what did you get in the end? There are many other options other than resorting to doing the autumn exams. Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hey, hope you're doing well. If you don't mind me asking, what were you centre assessed grades and what did you get in the end? There are many other options other than resorting to doing the autumn exams. Hope this helps. :smile:

Hello, what are centre assessed grades? And they gave me BBC
Reply 3
Original post by Silxnt1
Hello, what are centre assessed grades? And they gave me BBC

Centre assessed grades are essentially the predicted grades by your school which were submitted to the exam boards and then adjusted by the exam boards if needed.
Original post by Silxnt1
As you all know, today is A Level results day. Sadly I didn’t get the grades I needed to get for the course I wanted to do and I’m just wondering if you guys think it’s possible to (re-)learn/revise all subject content for the autumn A Level exams in order to get grades I need (A*AA).

Should probably note that I haven’t touched a single textbook since March either.

Hey, I needed A*AB however was given A*CC. After many hours of tears and talking to my sixth form about the options. Even though they said just get onto clearing and go to uni I have decided to take the option of Autumn exams. I have decided i'm going to try and revise as much for as I can for the Autumn exams as also like you I have done very little since March. However if the Autumn exam grades are not great I will continue to do the summer exams. I hope this helps it's not really advise but a fellow dissappointed A level result student.
Reply 5
Centre assessed grades are essentially the predicted grades by your school which were submitted to the exam boards and then adjusted by the exam boards if needed.

At the start of A2 level I was given the predicted grades A*AA, if that’s what you’re referring to?
Reply 6
Original post by Silxnt1
At the start of A2 level I was given the predicted grades A*AA, if that’s what you’re referring to?

That sounds like your UCAS predicted grades but essentially yes. Your school should've told you or at least if you ask them, they should tell you what your centre predicted grades are. They may be the same as the UCAS predicted grades or similar and your school works this out using existing data they have about your performance, i.e. past mock exams, internal assessments, etc. which they submit to the exam boards. Hope this makes sense.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, are you still intending to sit the autumn exams? There are also two other options. You could appeal your results via your school and they may consider appealing on behalf of the entire cohort if they believe that your cohort has been unfairly treated (it depends under what grounds). The other is to consider Clearing which isn't a bad thing. There's quite a good variety of choice depending on what subject you're applying for and given that UCAS has urged unis to be flexible, a uni may take you on with the grades you have. For the former, there's very limited information about how the appeals process works and headteachers are saying that they may not receive this information and guidance until Tuesday from Ofqual (exams regulator and they're the good guys here). Further info about the appeals process as we know so far is here. Hope this helps. :smile:

P.S. Very sorry for the slow reply back.
Reply 7
That sounds like your UCAS predicted grades but essentially yes. Your school should've told you or at least if you ask them, they should tell you what your centre predicted grades are. They may be the same as the UCAS predicted grades or similar and your school works this out using existing data they have about your performance, i.e. past mock exams, internal assessments, etc. which they submit to the exam boards. Hope this makes sense.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, are you still intending to sit the autumn exams? There are also two other options. You could appeal your results via your school and they may consider appealing on behalf of the entire cohort if they believe that your cohort has been unfairly treated (it depends under what grounds). The other is to consider Clearing which isn't a bad thing. There's quite a good variety of choice depending on what subject you're applying for and given that UCAS has urged unis to be flexible, a uni may take you on with the grades you have. For the former, there's very limited information about how the appeals process works and headteachers are saying that they may not receive this information and guidance until Tuesday from Ofqual (exams regulator and they're the good guys here). Further info about the appeals process as we know so far is here. Hope this helps. :smile:

P.S. Very sorry for the slow reply back.

I’m actually unsure of what my centre assessed grades are, but I think I get what you mean about them.

Currently, I am still planning on doing the upcoming Autumn exams as I got BBC and I need A*AA to study Medicine. Spaces to study Medicine via clearing as scare enough as it is, so not having received the necessary grades makes it extremely unlikely I’ll be able to get in through clearing. I good a great UCAT score, however.

What I plan on doing is appealing for 1 or 2 of my (subject) grades (not all, however, as I’ve heard doing so can risk dropping the grades even lower in the process?). Then, if I manage to get any grades lifted up to an A or higher, I can do the autumn exams for the other subjects that are lower in order to try and attain A/A*. One other thing I’ve heard about is that, if my school appeals, I’ll have to wait 7-42 days to find out if it has been successful? (Which, in turn, might lead me to have to revise every subject for the few weeks instead of just one or two subjects)
Reply 8
Original post by coffeerush24
Hey, I needed A*AB however was given A*CC. After many hours of tears and talking to my sixth form about the options. Even though they said just get onto clearing and go to uni I have decided to take the option of Autumn exams. I have decided i'm going to try and revise as much for as I can for the Autumn exams as also like you I have done very little since March. However if the Autumn exam grades are not great I will continue to do the summer exams. I hope this helps it's not really advise but a fellow dissappointed A level result student.

Good to see there’s other people in the same boat as me.

Btw do you know what happens if you sit both the summer exams and autumn exams, as opposed to the autumn exams alone?
Reply 9
Original post by Silxnt1
I’m actually unsure of what my centre assessed grades are, but I think I get what you mean about them.

Currently, I am still planning on doing the upcoming Autumn exams as I got BBC and I need A*AA to study Medicine. Spaces to study Medicine via clearing as scare enough as it is, so not having received the necessary grades makes it extremely unlikely I’ll be able to get in through clearing. I good a great UCAT score, however.

What I plan on doing is appealing for 1 or 2 of my (subject) grades (not all, however, as I’ve heard doing so can risk dropping the grades even lower in the process?). Then, if I manage to get any grades lifted up to an A or higher, I can do the autumn exams for the other subjects that are lower in order to try and attain A/A*. One other thing I’ve heard about is that, if my school appeals, I’ll have to wait 7-42 days to find out if it has been successful? (Which, in turn, might lead me to have to revise every subject for the few weeks instead of just one or two subjects)

In your case, you could still potentially appeal your grades under one of the four grades in the article I linked above. There's still not a lot of clarity with regards to the appeals process and from what I understand, schools won't get this information from Ofqual until at least early next week. Also, yes you may have to wait quite a while for the outcome which isn't ideal. :frown:

Yh Medicine is indeed very competitive so good luck with that. I think inevitably, you'll have to sit the Autumn exams and ofc do well in your UCAT should the appeals process not go your way. If you need any further support with regards to getting into medicine, do ask ecolier. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Silxnt1
Good to see there’s other people in the same boat as me.

Btw do you know what happens if you sit both the summer exams and autumn exams, as opposed to the autumn exams alone?

If you talking about what happens in context of grades. I believe with the autumn exams the grades choose from the better grade between results day grade or Autumn exam results. If you don't do aswell in the Autumn exams then you can take the summer resits. With the summer resit the resit grade will cancel out the Autumn or original result grade. So what will be on your CV will be the resit grade there will be no option to choose between resit and the original.
Reply 11
In your case, you could still potentially appeal your grades under one of the four grades in the article I linked above. There's still not a lot of clarity with regards to the appeals process and from what I understand, schools won't get this information from Ofqual until at least early next week. Also, yes you may have to wait quite a while for the outcome which isn't ideal. :frown:

Yh Medicine is indeed very competitive so good luck with that. I think inevitably, you'll have to sit the Autumn exams and ofc do well in your UCAT should the appeals process not go your way. If you need any further support with regards to getting into medicine, do ask ecolier. Hope this helps! :smile:

I have just found out my Centre Assessed grades were AAB, and I got BBC respectively.

Do you know if I can successfully appeal in order to get those centre assessed grades (AAB), and then only have to do the autumn exam for one of my subjects (the one I got a C in (centre assessed, B) to lift it up to an A/A*)?

Appreciate your help
Reply 12
Original post by coffeerush24
If you talking about what happens in context of grades. I believe with the autumn exams the grades choose from the better grade between results day grade or Autumn exam results. If you don't do aswell in the Autumn exams then you can take the summer resits. With the summer resit the resit grade will cancel out the Autumn or original result grade. So what will be on your CV will be the resit grade there will be no option to choose between resit and the original.

Yeah, I see.
Reply 13
Original post by Silxnt1
I have just found out my Centre Assessed grades were AAB, and I got BBC respectively.

Do you know if I can successfully appeal in order to get those centre assessed grades (AAB), and then only have to do the autumn exam for one of my subjects (the one I got a C in (centre assessed, B) to lift it up to an A/A*)?

Appreciate your help

There's been an update from Ofqual earlier this afternoon at 4pm and things are moving fast pace.

Your Centre Asssessed Grades will be your official grades as that is higher than your calculated grades. As for uni places, you should get in touch with your firm/insurance unis to discuss whether you can get a place this year or a deferred entry for next year. Honestly, I feel for students like you who have to go through this mess which could've been avoided had the government acted sooner.

You're very welcome for the help. :smile:
Reply 14
There's been an update from Ofqual earlier this afternoon at 4pm and things are moving fast pace.

Your Centre Asssessed Grades will be your official grades as that is higher than your calculated grades. As for uni places, you should get in touch with your firm/insurance unis to discuss whether you can get a place this year or a deferred entry for next year. Honestly, I feel for students like you who have to go through this mess which could've been avoided had the government acted sooner.

You're very welcome for the help. :smile:

That’s good.

Also, I’ve heard from a friend that I can email some of my teachers and ask them to change my (centre assessed) grades.

For example, since I got AAB, I could apparently email my Chemistry teacher asking them to change the B to an A and then email my Maths teacher asking them to change the A to an A*.

I don’t know if this is a valid solution but if it is then I’ll definitely consider as an alternative one to doing the actual Chemistry exam in autumn.

They also mentioned something about having to get it done by September 7th as that’s when the grades can no longer change.

Do you know anything about all of this?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Silxnt1
That’s good.

Also, I’ve heard from a friend that I can email some of my teachers and ask them to change my (centre assessed) grades.

For example, since I got AAB, I could apparently email my Chemistry teacher asking them to change the B to an A and then email my Maths teacher asking them to change the A to an A*.

I don’t know if this is a valid solution but if it is then I’ll definitely consider as an alternative one to doing the actual Chemistry exam in autumn.

They also mentioned something about having to get it done by September 7th?

I dont think your teachers can change the grade they entered for you as this was done way earlier back in March. What u might be able to do tho is use your mock results as evidence for appealing but the appeal process is still being decided so you should wait until the gov has all the details. Hope this helps.
Reply 16
Original post by dj_ad_1
I dont think your teachers can change the grade they entered for you as this was done way earlier back in March. What u might be able to do tho is use your mock results as evidence for appealing but the appeal process is still being decided so you should wait until the gov has all the details. Hope this helps.

Can they not change it as part of the appeal process?
Original post by Silxnt1
Can they not change it as part of the appeal process?

Schools dont have details yet on how the appeal process will work

Quick Reply

Latest