The Student Room Group

How can i relate sudoku to any computational methods?

OCR nea project. I need to explain how I can solve problems with sudoku using computational methods. Please help I'm really stuck.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ninja24
OCR nea project. I need to explain how I can solve problems with sudoku using computational methods. Please help I'm really stuck.

Do you have to create something similar to the soduko game for this project,
could you explain with a little more detail please? :smile:
Original post by S Z H
Do you have to create something similar to the soduko game for this project,
could you explain with a little more detail please? :smile:

Okay! For my OCR NEA project I made a sudoku game for users to play. At the start of the project we had to do some analysis meaning finding some problems with current sudoku games that can be solved using computational methods. ( I have to show this in my game). I have no idea what problems are associated with sudoku, and how to relate it to compytational methods.
Reply 3
Original post by ninja24
Okay! For my OCR NEA project I made a sudoku game for users to play. At the start of the project we had to do some analysis meaning finding some problems with current sudoku games that can be solved using computational methods. ( I have to show this in my game). I have no idea what problems are associated with sudoku, and how to relate it to computational methods.

these are possible problems and the solutions using computational thinking that i could think of. i hope this is what you were required to do :smile:

i have added definitions of the computational thinking methods i was taught below:
decomposition - breaking down a complex problem or system into smaller, more manageable parts.
pattern recognition looking for similarities among and within problems.
abstraction focusing on the important information only, ignoring irrelevant detail.
algorithms - developing a step-by-step solution to the problem, or the rules to follow to solve the problem.

any problems you may have with your game could be:
1- too many requirements. you might be asked to do a lot things with this one game (can be solved by [a] decomposition- breaking down the code into smaller manageable parts. using subroutines/functions in your program OR/AND algorithms- developing a step by step method, e.g. flowcharts, to simplify the program )
2- too much irrelevant information given in the project brief (can be solved by abstraction. removal of this irrelevant data)
3- lengthy & inefficient program (can be solved using pattern recognition. finding a pattern and using, for example, loops to shorten it)
Original post by S Z H
these are possible problems and the solutions using computational thinking that i could think of. i hope this is what you were required to do :smile:

i have added definitions of the computational thinking methods i was taught below:
decomposition - breaking down a complex problem or system into smaller, more manageable parts.
pattern recognition looking for similarities among and within problems.
abstraction focusing on the important information only, ignoring irrelevant detail.
algorithms - developing a step-by-step solution to the problem, or the rules to follow to solve the problem.

any problems you may have with your game could be:
1- too many requirements. you might be asked to do a lot things with this one game (can be solved by [a] decomposition- breaking down the code into smaller manageable parts. using subroutines/functions in your program OR/AND algorithms- developing a step by step method, e.g. flowcharts, to simplify the program )
2- too much irrelevant information given in the project brief (can be solved by abstraction. removal of this irrelevant data)
3- lengthy & inefficient program (can be solved using pattern recognition. finding a pattern and using, for example, loops to shorten it)

Thank you so so much ! This definitely has given me hope that my write up will be alright. You have no idea how much you've helped me. I appreciate it alot :smile:
Reply 5
No problem. I am doing the aqa NEA project. So I have to do a similar write up too. Good luck with yours :smile:
Original post by S Z H
No problem. I am doing the aqa NEA project. So I have to do a similar write up too. Good luck with yours :smile:

You too! Have you started yours?
Reply 7
I have completed my python program. And I am going to do the test then the enhancement-write up. For aqa we’re supposed to do it in that order in our report
Original post by ninja24
You too! Have you started yours?
The first thing to realise is that sudoku is not a maths problem but one of paytern matching. Also, there isn't an obvious himan scale alorithm you can follow to solve them. It comes down, ultimately to trial and error.

Forever, for computers this is easy because they can do iteration really quickly. The downside is that where as sudoku a hand full of solutions, it also has billions if not trillions of wrong solutions.

Stuff like that. Could you work out an algorithm that allows you to solve a sudoku?
Original post by ByEeek
The first thing to realise is that sudoku is not a maths problem but one of paytern matching. Also, there isn't an obvious himan scale alorithm you can follow to solve them. It comes down, ultimately to trial and error.

Forever, for computers this is easy because they can do iteration really quickly. The downside is that where as sudoku a hand full of solutions, it also has billions if not trillions of wrong solutions.

Stuff like that. Could you work out an algorithm that allows you to solve a sudoku?

wdym? like a flowchart?
Original post by ninja24
wdym? like a flowchart?

Yes. Or a sequence of instruction or pseudocode. Chances are you won't get it perfect but you might be able to tackle a box or a line.

A clue. You will probable need to define two functions IsInHorizontalRow () and IsInVerticalColumn () returning true if a given number is in the row or column being delt with.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Yes. Or a sequence of instruction or pseudocode. Chances are you won't get it perfect but you might be able to tackle a box or a line.

A clue. You will probable need to define two functions IsInHorizontalRow () and IsInVerticalColumn () returning true if a given number is in the row or column being delt with.

If I add this to my coursework which title would it come under? Also, is an algorithm version of my game necessary to get full marks?
Reply 12
Original post by ninja24
If I add this to my coursework which title would it come under? Also, is an algorithm version of my game necessary to get full marks?

For my AQA project we were told to do:
Design (e.g. flowchart-planning the program)
Create (e.g. python-creating it)
Test (testing possible inputs and outputs of it)
Enhance (write up- how u could make your program better)

Is that how ur supposed to do it too?
Original post by S Z H
For my AQA project we were told to do:
Design (e.g. flowchart-planning the program)
Create (e.g. python-creating it)
Test (testing possible inputs and outputs of it)
Enhance (write up- how u could make your program better)

Is that how ur supposed to do it too?

No ours is like this:
Analysis
Design
Develop coded solution
Test
Evaluate
Reply 14
If you are on design I think the flowchart/pseudocode would be for that.

https://ocr.org.uk/blog/resource-bank-for-the-nea/

^^this link has some examples that would show you what they expect from your project
Original post by ninja24

I dunno. What is the coursework asking you to do?

Which exam board is it? If it is OCR you only get a pass or fail for the NEA. Its purpose is to provide a practice opportunity in preparation for paper 2. As long as you do something you can't fail.
Original post by ByEeek
I dunno. What is the coursework asking you to do?

Which exam board is it? If it is OCR you only get a pass or fail for the NEA. Its purpose is to provide a practice opportunity in preparation for paper 2. As long as you do something you can't fail.

Yes it's OCR. I thought we'd be given a grade? Like a mark out of 70.
Original post by S Z H
If you are on design I think the flowchart/pseudocode would be for that.

https://ocr.org.uk/blog/resource-bank-for-the-nea/

^^this link has some examples that would show you what they expect from your project

That's for GCSE haha.
Original post by ninja24
Yes it's OCR. I thought we'd be given a grade? Like a mark out of 70.

No. Pass or fail. And it doesn't contribute to your final mark. It is worth doing though as you cover most of sections 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.5 on paper 2.
Original post by ByEeek
No. Pass or fail. And it doesn't contribute to your final mark. It is worth doing though as you cover most of sections 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 2.5 on paper 2.

It's on the specification though for a level? 20% of our final grade is what it says...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending