The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lincoln or Lancaster?

Hi Any thoughts on studying History at either of these universities? I am really keen on Lincoln on paper, but my preferred choice (Lancaster) has reinstated my offer now that Teacher assessment grades can be used. Rankings for history are similar, but Lancaster is higher overall as a university. I have been to Lancaster for open days, but Lincoln is a late entry and I can only look at the uni virtually. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Any thoughts on studying History at either of these universities? I am really keen on Lincoln on paper, but my preferred choice (Lancaster) has reinstated my offer now that Teacher assessment grades can be used. Rankings for history are similar, but Lancaster is higher overall as a university. I have been to Lancaster for open days, but Lincoln is a late entry and I can only look at the uni virtually. Thanks

I think Lancaster is wayyy better.
The city is safer. Although its not a bustling city at all.
Graduate prospects are much higher.
Better in league tables overall.
Great accommodation.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks. Were you a student there?
Original post by Tomsmom
Thanks. Were you a student there?

I've visited them both

Lancaster is a lovely uni - I'd choose that.

However, you have got to study there so make a pros/cons list comparing the courses :smile:

Hi Anon,
One of my close friends studied History at Lancaster and enjoyed it so much that she's now doing a masters there too.
You can talk to current History students using UniBuddy if you want an insight into the course, but I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have about the university and studying here.
There's also some student made content on the University YouTube channel which might give you an insight in what people get up to day to day, and people's experiences.
Otherwise, let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
I did my undergraduate at Lincoln and about to do my MA at Lancaster. They're both historic and beautiful cities. Lincoln (in hindsight) was quite small, so not a big roaring student city such as Sheffield or Manchester (but I wanted small/quiet). There was still plenty to do and the city centre is so easy to navigate since it's just one long high street. I really loved it, and my university experience was great too.
I would say make a pros/cons list for sure, but league tables and ratings aren't everything. Whichever you choose, make the most of it and you'll have a great time! :biggrin:
I can only speak for Lincoln, I love it there, the city is small but that's what I prefer and you have everything you need there, social life is good and it is going up in the rankings :wink:

But honestly, depends what you're looking for in a uni, and where you think you'd be happiest. Look at the pros and cons of both, and go from there :smile: Hope you have a good time at uni!

I wouldn’t bother with lincoln. I’m studying here and from what ive seen over the years is that they only care about the money. They make loads of promises to get you on the course that havent been done. Staffing on my course specifically has been shockingly poor. People behind the scene have been no help and i just get the overall feel that no one there actually knows what theyre doing.

Lets just say if you dont choose lincoln you’ve had a lucky escape!

Hello @anonymous #1,

The University of Lincoln is ranked top 20 in the UK for overall students satisfaction in 2020 and obtained Gold Teaching Excellent Frame (highest possible). I would advise attending our upcoming Open Days to see the university for yourself; our next open days are 26th September and 11th October and you can book here. If you are close enough, jump on the train and come visit the city - I did this and it made my choice a lot easier. Alternatively, speak to one of our Ambassadors on UniBuddy for their experience at the University of Lincoln - Connor is doing History :smile: This would give you the opportunities to ask questions (specific or general).

My motto for uni is 'what you put in is what you get out of it' so make the most of your time at uni and get involved. Personally, my tutors, staff and course friends are always there to support me throughout my time at uni and so I never felt I was alone and unsupported. I have enjoyed my time at this Uni and will miss it.

Good luck with your future. Hopefully, we will see you in Lincoln!
Natt - 3rd-year Biomedical Science :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending