The Student Room Group

Career in Toxicology, need before clearing ends

I am not sure I want to do Medicine. Mainly because so many people complain about how demanding it is, with inadequate pay and a long it takes to get there. I'm an undergraduate applying through clearing, I've just finished year 13.

My questions:

1. What courses shall I take to become a toxicologist? Is Biomedical suitable, as I have an offer on a course at Keele.

2. Is there a demand for toxicologists in the UK

3. On the NHS website the career in bands 6-9 on the AFC pay bands. I would just like people experienced and have insight if the AFC pay bands are true to what people earn in the NHS.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
It really depends you could do toxicology related research and stuff in the lab almost with any bioscience degree. But if you mean clinical toxicology where you directly deal with patients, after medicine pharmacy sounds more like it( clinical pharmacy).

Medicine is really for those who can’t think of doing absolutely anything else.
Reply 2
Original post by Pezeshki
It really depends you could do toxicology related research and stuff in the lab almost with any bioscience degree. But if you mean clinical toxicology where you directly deal with patients, after medicine pharmacy sounds more like it( clinical pharmacy).

Medicine is really for those who can’t think of doing absolutely anything else.

Thanks for the reply, that was really helpful. I'm still currently looking for courses, I have one reserved at Keele for Biomed. So, from what you said shall i look for something like pharmacology or something pharmacy related? Again, if you think if anything "better" thank toxicology im open to suggestions. Like everyone else I just was a career that keeps me engages and financially stable.
I'm about to start my third year of my biological science degree and am interested in a similar area and have done a lot of research so hopefully what I've found can help!

First thing with a Biomed degree is that by the end of it you mostly likely won't offically be a qualified "Biomedical scientist" in the UK, as normally you need a masters to achieve this (heard from biomed friends and lecturers). A way of getting the master is the Scientist Training Program (run by the NHS, where you spend 3 years working for the NHS and earning a masters at the same time) or just consulting the board of biomed for the UK for another masters program. However, biomed is a good way to get into toxicology as said above. Pharmacy is always a good shout but is also a longer degree than biomed.

I might be biased but biological sciences is good for toxicology but is a lot more broad so you probably wouldn't be able to 100% focus on it for your degree, and it'd be less clinical based. I do think bio is good if you're indecisive about what you want to do though and if you think you may change your mind on your main interest (I know I did).

Overall for toxicology, most life sciences are good. Do a google and see what toxicology masters are asking for to have an idea! I found King's Colleges want biochemistry, pharmacy, or a related subject.
Reply 4
Original post by hazisgolden
I'm about to start my third year of my biological science degree and am interested in a similar area and have done a lot of research so hopefully what I've found can help!

First thing with a Biomed degree is that by the end of it you mostly likely won't offically be a qualified "Biomedical scientist" in the UK, as normally you need a masters to achieve this (heard from biomed friends and lecturers). A way of getting the master is the Scientist Training Program (run by the NHS, where you spend 3 years working for the NHS and earning a masters at the same time) or just consulting the board of biomed for the UK for another masters program. However, biomed is a good way to get into toxicology as said above. Pharmacy is always a good shout but is also a longer degree than biomed.

I might be biased but biological sciences is good for toxicology but is a lot more broad so you probably wouldn't be able to 100% focus on it for your degree, and it'd be less clinical based. I do think bio is good if you're indecisive about what you want to do though and if you think you may change your mind on your main interest (I know I did).

Overall for toxicology, most life sciences are good. Do a google and see what toxicology masters are asking for to have an idea! I found King's Colleges want biochemistry, pharmacy, or a related subject.

hazisgolden that was really helpful, really appreciate that. That's pretty much cleared up a lot of questions I have about that. I have one more question though its not completely related to this post. Would you say the opportunities/jobs that come after a Biomed or pharmacy degree are good? in the sense of how easy or difficult it is to get a job after and if the jobs are financially rewarding (not just for toxicology, other jobs that i could get into) And should i be talking about money and salaries when i talk to unis or other professionals? is it appropriate to say the good pay is a motivating factor as well as my passion for science etc.
Original post by arabi
hazisgolden that was really helpful, really appreciate that. That's pretty much cleared up a lot of questions I have about that. I have one more question though its not completely related to this post. Would you say the opportunities/jobs that come after a Biomed or pharmacy degree are good? in the sense of how easy or difficult it is to get a job after and if the jobs are financially rewarding (not just for toxicology, other jobs that i could get into) And should i be talking about money and salaries when i talk to unis or other professionals? is it appropriate to say the good pay is a motivating factor as well as my passion for science etc.

Can't say I know too much about job opportunities as I haven't gotten there quite yet. From careers events I've attended, they say there's always gonna be something if you try and are motivated. How well you get paid depends, as research jobs are notoriously underpaided but you can also get into big city firms that focus of pharmacology/biomed/etc. Pay is a good motivating factor, but I've always put my passion for science first personally. Science, especially biomed/bio, aren't going to pay as well as other jobs because it is mostly dependant on getting funding or public health sectors.

Money and salary talks are probably okay at careers events but I would still be catious. With lecturers, they have been striking on and off for 2 years so I'd say maybe avoid money talks there (mainly bc they are stupid underpaid).

Pay is a factor but entry jobs salaries are lower and you have to work your way up. To get a job you'll have get get good grades and experience no matter what, so I'd say go for what you like best and then work from there. The world will always need scientists though, so there will always be jobs somewhere.
Reply 6
Original post by arabi
Thanks for the reply, that was really helpful. I'm still currently looking for courses, I have one reserved at Keele for Biomed. So, from what you said shall i look for something like pharmacology or something pharmacy related? Again, if you think if anything "better" thank toxicology im open to suggestions. Like everyone else I just was a career that keeps me engages and financially stable.

In terms of financial stability and having a guaranteed job pharmacy definitely outweighs any bioscience degree. The point is you don’t have to become a pharmacist if you wanted to do bioscience research you could still do it. Employability rate is 100% according to a few unis like Uni of Manchester. After registration you immediately make about 40k. With biomed and stuff u usually need a PhD tbh. Not much could be done with a bachelor. Pharmacy should be compared to medicine and dentistry rather than biosciences to be fair.
Original post by hazisgolden

Hi I want to study biomed at uni and I’m also interested in toxicology jobs. Do you think that biomed masters with good few years of experience in similar roles will be good to get these jobs?
Original post by fatimalatif806
Hi I want to study biomed at uni and I’m also interested in toxicology jobs. Do you think that biomed masters with good few years of experience in similar roles will be good to get these jobs?

You should study MSc Toxicology or MSc Forensic Science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending