The Student Room Group

Further Maths for econ?

Hi,

I am looking to do an economics degree at university.
For an application to one of the top unis: Cambridge, LSE etc. - which of these options would give me the best chance of getting in?

1 - Maths Economics Geography
2 - Maths Economics Further Maths
3 - Maths Economics Geography Further Maths - giving me less chance of revision and risking lower grades

Thanks
Original post by Ethan034
Hi,

For an application to one of the top unis: Cambridge, LSE etc. - which of these options would give me the best chance of getting in?

3 - Maths Economics Geography Further Maths - giving me less chance of revision and risking lower grades

Thanks

For economics, Further Maths is never a requirement (even for a maths degree FM is very rarely a requirement- obviously with a few exceptions). My best advice would be to start all 4 and then either drop FM or Geography after about a month or so, once you’ve been able to decide which one you enjoy the most/are better at.

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography at Alevel (just finished Year 12) so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Becca216
For economics, Further Maths is never a requirement (even for a maths degree FM is very rarely a requirement- obviously with a few exceptions). My best advice would be to start all 4 and then either drop FM or Geography after about a month or so, once you’ve been able to decide which one you enjoy the most/are better at.

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography at Alevel (just finished Year 12) so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

At LSE and some might say even Warwick it may as well be a requirement if it is offered. OP I agree tho do all 4 then drop one. It’s better to get A*AA without further maths than AAC with it (for example)
Hi,

Thanks

Although the others are right f.math is never a requirement , from my understanding (alumni and admissions tutors) These competitive uni s love their econ undergrads taking f.maths ( mainly lse and cam ) and most of the time they don’t admit anyone if they don’t take it - unless for some very good reason like ur school doesn’t offer it. I’d say if you can, do the 3rd Option but if you can’t cope drop geography instead. And if you don’t want to do 4 do the 2nd option. I would strongly recommend you take f.maths if you are considering econ at lse and especially cam. And also 4 A levels but again only if you can get good grades in them . 4 a levels inc. f. Math is pretty much standard for an econ offerholder at cam.

I’m in year 12 currently and I’m going to apply to these unis as well and was also contemplating this. I take exactly the 3rd option except switch geography for physics and Also add the Epq.
Original post by QWERTY43211234
Although the others are right f.math is never a requirement , from my understanding (alumni and admissions tutors) These competitive uni s love their econ undergrads taking f.maths ( mainly lse and cam ) and most of the time they don’t admit anyone if they don’t take it - unless for some very good reason like ur school doesn’t offer it. I’d say if you can, do the 3rd Option but if you can’t cope drop geography instead. And if you don’t want to do 4 do the 2nd option. I would strongly recommend you take f.maths if you are considering econ at lse and especially cam. And also 4 A levels but again only if you can get good grades in them . 4 a levels inc. f. Math is pretty much standard for an econ offerholder at cam.

I’m in year 12 currently and I’m going to apply to these unis as well and was also contemplating this. I take exactly the 3rd option except switch geography for physics and Also add the Epq.

I would also add the actual courses for econ. (Especially at cam.) Are incredibly mathematical. Again, I strongly advise doing f.math all the way till A2 if not at least AS
Original post by Becca216

It's not a requirement but they very much do prefer it for Cambridge Economics for example - if you go to a sixth form which doesn't do it they'll be fine but the vibe me and other people got from open days is that they very much prefer it.

So I actually did the third option when I did my A Levels but I do not recommend doing four subjects. You get a heavier workload and I'd argue that the only benefit is just wider knowledge for your own satisfaction.

Admissions tutors at Cambridge and LSE look incredibly favourably at FM and it would be difficult to get an offer without it. This is doubly the case if FM is offered at your school but you chose not to do it. If you want a good chance at either of these then you should take FM. Other top universities such as Oxford, Warwick, UCL, etc. put somewhat less emphasis on FM.

I did my A Levels before the change so I don't know what dropped out and was added to the Maths/FM syllabus after 2017. The most useful content from FM was probably Stats and some matrix algebra. Basically, it's not like FM equips you with a lot more relevant maths knowledge, it's mostly a demonstration of ability.
Reply 7
Would Cambridge consider you if you did Maths, FM, Econ and an AS in another subject (psychology)? Or would dropping the fourth put me at a disadvantage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending