The Student Room Group

Exam Results Helpline - Ask us your questions.

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I have been rejected from Manchester for mathematics but are willing to wait till the 7th of September for my appeals. Before moderation, I had A*ABA in Maths, Physics, Economics and AS Further Maths. After moderation, I have ABBA in the same following subjects.

I am appealing for Mathematics and Physics for which I achieved an A* in Maths and A in Physics in my most recent mocks. The school has always taken mocks very seriously and so have said they will pursue my appeal because I deserve such grades.

However, the appeals process can take 42 days and with the 7th being 23 days away this doesn't make sense. Is there actually a chance that I might get my appealed grades but just too late? If so, that makes this triple-lock system obsolete being "getting at least your mock grade" is useless universities are already full.

Many thanks,
J.H
Original post by HBaguette
that's fair enough honestly, its not your job to answer questions like that
but you know i really doubt the deparment for education gives a ****, i went to a state school, why would they care?

I teach at a state school and only one or two grades in our whole cohort were changed - none of the ones in my subject were.
Hi,
I am still waiting on my results to be sent to me. I am doing a level 3 health and social course.
The college keeps saying that it is a technical issue but everyone ,except for health and social care related courses, in the college has received their results.
My uni is asking for my results before the 31st August otherwise i will be declined
What am i meant to do????
Original post by Muttley79
I teach at a state school and only one or two grades in our whole cohort were changed - none of the ones in my subject were.

Dunno how. My sixth form has over 100 pupils and I would say about 3/4 of peoples grades were downgraded, including two of my grades. Resulting in me being rejected from Manchester. I would also add that my 6th is quite academic, especially its NEXUS class for "gifted students" that I attended.
Original post by GammaOfi
Hi,

I have been rejected from Manchester for mathematics but are willing to wait till the 7th of September for my appeals. Before moderation, I had A*ABA in Maths, Physics, Economics and AS Further Maths. After moderation, I have ABBA in the same following subjects.

I am appealing for Mathematics and Physics for which I achieved an A* in Maths and A in Physics in my most recent mocks. The school has always taken mocks very seriously and so have said they will pursue my appeal because I deserve such grades.

However, the appeals process can take 42 days and with the 7th being 23 days away this doesn't make sense. Is there actually a chance that I might get my appealed grades but just too late? If so, that makes this triple-lock system obsolete being "getting at least your mock grade" is useless universities are already full.

Many thanks,
J.H

Hi there,

Thanks for posting, I am sorry to hear that you didn't get into your preferred uni.

Uni's are being encouraged to extend their deadlines and exam boards are also being encourage to get appeals that are dependant on uni places back as quickly as possible. We are still waiting for further guidance on the appeals process but it's good that you have taken the steps to speak to your school and that they are supporting you with the appeal.

There is a chance you will go over the deadline if there are no changes made to the current deadline process, therefore you will need to think about what is right for you in this situation. You could look at alternative courses and uni's through Clearing or you could look to apply for the same course at Manchester only for next year and use this coming year to work, volunteer or do alternative study. Whilst I understand that is not ideal for a lot of students want to go this year it is a potential option.

Try to think about what your end career goal is and if it is still possible to get there by going with a different uni through clearing. I really do hope that the appeals come through before the deadline for students but at this moment in time we have no further guidance about this.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by Ccharlie1
Hi,
I am still waiting on my results to be sent to me. I am doing a level 3 health and social course.
The college keeps saying that it is a technical issue but everyone ,except for health and social care related courses, in the college has received their results.
My uni is asking for my results before the 31st August otherwise i will be declined
What am i meant to do????

Hi thanks for posting.

We have been made aware of many BTEC students not receiving their results yesterday and we are at this moment in time unsure as to why this is. There could be a technical problem between the exam board and the colleges when releasing the information.

Have the college given you any indication on how they are trying to resolve this with the exam board?

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi thanks for posting.

We have been made aware of many BTEC students not receiving their results yesterday and we are at this moment in time unsure as to why this is. There could be a technical problem between the exam board and the colleges when releasing the information.

Have the college given you any indication on how they are trying to resolve this with the exam board?

Thanks - Sophie.

Hi.
No the college told us that results just haven't been posted yet.
I just don't understand how everyone else's have but people who seem to be doing health and Social Care related courses.
I also got in touch with the exam board and they told me that it was the colleges fault. They seem to be blaming each other.
It's just a massive worry to have to wait over the weekend
Original post by Ccharlie1
Hi.
No the college told us that results just haven't been posted yet.
I just don't understand how everyone else's have but people who seem to be doing health and Social Care related courses.
I also got in touch with the exam board and they told me that it was the colleges fault. They seem to be blaming each other.
It's just a massive worry to have to wait over the weekend

Hi, thanks for coming back to me.

I understand it is a worrying time and the delay in your results is not ideal. We are seeing a lot of BTEC students saying the same thing but we have no information to explain what has caused the delay.

We are keeping an eye on the situation and if we can offer any further insight/advice we will get back to you.

In the meantime the best advice I can offer is that you keep in contact with your college and I hope that you are able to access your results soon.

Thanks - Sophie.
Just a quick reminder that the Exam Results Helpline will be available on TSR to answer your exam results questions until August the 28th. If you have a question regarding your results post it here and one of our expert advisers will get back to you.
If I feel my school has been biased against me in grading me as the grades they submitted for UCAS and cga differs by two/three grades, how do I find out the school has been biased against me as they're not willing to share me my ranking nor give me an answer as to why the grades differ so much. My grades submitted in for UCAS was higher than cga.
Original post by nemowentswimming
If I feel my school has been biased against me in grading me as the grades they submitted for UCAS and cga differs by two/three grades, how do I find out the school has been biased against me as they're not willing to share me my ranking nor give me an answer as to why the grades differ so much. My grades submitted in for UCAS was higher than cga.

First up - your school HAVE to provide you with teacher assessed grade (CAG) AND your ranking if you request it. This should have been made available to you from results day. If you haven't formally asked for this info, make that request to your headteacher by email. If they will not provide it, that simply strengthens your case.

Then If you think that your teacher Centre Assessed Grade (CAG) has been affected by bias or discrimination and lack of integrity when your grade and rank order was determined, then you have the right to complain to the school and/or make an appeal/complaint of malpractice or maladministration to the awarding organisation. (ie the Exam board, such as AQA or EDEXCEL for example).

To attempt to ascertain if this is the case then in the first instance you need to raise a SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST (SAR) with your centre (ie your school) and they MUST have a process set up to deal with this request. (If they don't, this just strengthens your case). You can also raise a SAR directly with the specific exam board for the subject you have a grade issue with.

If you raise a SAR then they HAVE to supply you with information relating to what was discussed and shared with examination bodies to enable the CAG result to be determined. This may include: The teacher assessment / Written comments about the provisional grade and/or rank order / Records of past performance

That information may be enough for you to realise that the CAG was in fact decided and assessed fairly and correctly by your school based on the evidence they had about your performance/ability. Or it may confirm to you that the CAG was affected by bias, discrimination, malpractice or maladministration.

Bear in mind the timescales it could take to get the information after you make a SAR. The organisation (for example your school or college) must respond to your request within one month. (I believe if you make the SAR direct to the exam board, they have 40 days to respond).

I hope this helps
(edited 3 years ago)
I want to resit math as I got a B in my AS grades, but I feel hard done by because I really believe I could’ve gotten an A. I really want an A at minimum at the end of A2 in order to get into high end Unis. My As grades were as follows
Economics - A
Chemistry - A
Mathematics - B
Physics - B (dropping)
Do you think I should resit math, or is it still possible to get an A/A* at the end of A2. Please advise.
Original post by nemowentswimming

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and thanks for posting your question.

The school/college can provide you with information regarding your ranking as long as it does not reveal information about any other student, I am unsure why they are not providing you with this but I would suggest speaking with them again.

If you feel there has been bias, discrimination or malpractice when calculating your CAGs you can appeal the grades, you can either speak with your school/college about the appeals process or you can speak with the exam board about starting an appeal.

If your CAGs were lower than the standardised grades you received, you will keep the highest of the two sets of grades.

I hope this helps, please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by Gutted1010
I want to resit math as I got a B in my AS grades, but I feel hard done by because I really believe I could’ve gotten an A. I really want an A at minimum at the end of A2 in order to get into high end Unis. My As grades were as follows
Economics - A
Chemistry - A
Mathematics - B
Physics - B (dropping)
Do you think I should resit math, or is it still possible to get an A/A* at the end of A2. Please advise.

Hi - thanks for posting and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Do you know if you are on the new linear A level system where your AS grades don't count towards your final A level grade? If your AS is a stand alone grade then it could be more than possible to finish your A levels with an A/A* with the right motivation and application.

You could chat to the school/college about the possibility of sitting the exam that you missed in the summer in the autumn term instead to pull up this grade as well.

Thanks - Sophie.
Hi All!

Just a quick update from us...

Now that results are out we understand a lot of you will be thinking about your next move. We are running a free Virtual Careers Fair next week where you can talk to some of the largest organisations for education, apprenticeships and training across the country.

It's completely free to register - nationalcareersservice.eventbrite.co.uk

You can pick and chose which of the sessions you take part in and if you can't make it on the day it will be accessible until October.

Quick Reply

Latest