The Student Room Group

University of Sheffield A100 2021 Entry

Welcome to the University of Sheffield A100 2021 Entry Discussion.

Sheffield A100 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022634

For general information click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying

For entry requirements click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

Sheffield A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders' thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6967128

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have 10 GCSEs with the following scores 8888777777. I’m predicted AAA at A-levels. I have done volunteer work at the NHS for about a year and shadowed a general surgeon whilst carrying out an appendectomy. I haven’t done the UCAT yet. Do i have good chances of getting a place at Sheffield’s medical school?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dddeeeer32
I have 10 GCSEs with the following scores 8888777777. I’m predicted AAA at A-levels. I have done volunteer work at the NHS for about a year and shadowed a general surgeon whilst carrying out an appendectomy. I haven’t done the UCAT yet. Do i have good chances of getting a place at Sheffield’s medical school?

They select using UCAT, so nobody can tell you without your score, I'm afraid
Original post by GANFYD
They select using UCAT, so nobody can tell you without your score, I'm afraid

I will do it of course but i’ve always been frustrated with my gcse results as i’ve always thought that they weren’t satisfactory enough to apply for medical schools anywhere in the UK. With high UCAT score, do you think i have any chances?
Reply 4
I will do it of course but i’ve always been frustrated with my gcse results as i’ve always thought that they weren’t satisfactory enough to apply for medical schools anywhere in the UK. With high UCAT score, do you think i have any chances?

Your GCSEs are fine for most med schools in the country, so it is all dependent on your UCAT score
Reply 5

Review selection policy of different medical schools. Some use GCSEs as a part of their shortlisting process; discard those. Where as some use UCAT like Sheffield. Hence, try to get a very good score. Sheffield also doesn’t review PS. Do continue expanding your experience in care setting; more for understanding and reflection than to quote. Good luck.
Reply 6

honestly this is my concern as well, the cutoff for UCAT is 2420 for 2021 entry bit because they rank you based on UCAT the higher the score the better. I hope this somewhat eases you, all the very best my friend
Reply 7
hi there guys I was just wondering if you could let me know if the following is good enough for sheffield med school.
GCSEs: 9998887766
UCAT prediction based on mock results: 2600
will this be enough, I would just like to know just to roughly know what UCAT score I should be aiming for.
Original post by HChis
honestly this is my concern as well, the cutoff for UCAT is 2420 for 2021 entry bit because they rank you based on UCAT the higher the score the better. I hope this somewhat eases you, all the very best my friend

The minimum requirement is 2420 but the actual cut off for interview will probably be higher - it's usually been in the 2600s
Reply 9
Original post by Emily5243
The minimum requirement is 2420 but the actual cut off for interview will probably be higher - it's usually been in the 2600s

ah ok that is very helpful, thank you very much. Will 2580-ish be enough because this is what I feel I may get in my UCAT but i guess we will see what i actually get on Wednesday.
Original post by HChis
ah ok that is very helpful, thank you very much. Will 2580-ish be enough because this is what I feel I may get in my UCAT but i guess we will see what i actually get on Wednesday.

Based on previous years cut offs, probably not.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/medicine-admissions
Reply 11

ok thank you very much for all the help and info
Hi, i’m thinking of applying here for 2021 entry. Someone correct me if i’m wrong but they rank applicants for interview of their ucat score? so for example if i meet academic requirements and get a ucat score above the calculated cut off score i will be invited for an interview?
Secondly, does anyone know how many places they offer for UK entry?
Thank you
Original post by bradleywv1
Hi, i’m thinking of applying here for 2021 entry. Someone correct me if i’m wrong but they rank applicants for interview of their ucat score? so for example if i meet academic requirements and get a ucat score above the calculated cut off score i will be invited for an interview?
Secondly, does anyone know how many places they offer for UK entry?
Thank you

They will check you meet their minimum requirements. If you do, then they rank UCAT scores and invite the people with the highest scores to interview. Their cut off is usually in the 2600s. Have you done your UCAT yet? There are 273 places available for Home/EU students
They will check you meet their minimum requirements. If you do, then they rank UCAT scores and invite the people with the highest scores to interview. Their cut off is usually in the 2600s. Have you done your UCAT yet? There are 273 places available for Home/EU students

Thanks for the info, i have not taken my UCAT yet i am due to in a few weeks and i have been revising for about a month so in total i will have done about 2 months of revision. I am hoping to get about 2800 but anything can happen.
Reply 15

Hi there Emily sorry to bother you and ask this question again. I have done my UCAT and got 2620 Band 1 do you think it is possible for me to get an interview, having looked at previous cutoffs the lowest for Sheffield I have seen is 2630 for interview so do you think I could get an interview this year.
Original post by HChis
Hi there Emily sorry to bother you and ask this question again. I have done my UCAT and got 2620 Band 1 do you think it is possible for me to get an interview, having looked at previous cutoffs the lowest for Sheffield I have seen is 2630 for interview so do you think I could get an interview this year.

First of all, that's a really good score! Second, I would say it's definitely a risk to apply to Sheffield with your score but no one can predict the exact cut off this year as it does vary. I think your decision should be based on what other options for medical schools you have.
I think you should post in the 'which medical schools should I apply to' thread with all of your stats (GCSEs, A level predictions, and your UCAT) and there will be more knowledgeable people on there who can give you advice on your options.
Here's the link for that thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970
Reply 17
First of all, that's a really good score! Second, I would say it's definitely a risk to apply to Sheffield with your score but no one can predict the exact cut off this year as it does vary. I think your decision should be based on what other options for medical schools you have.
I think you should post in the 'which medical schools should I apply to' thread with all of your stats (GCSEs, A level predictions, and your UCAT) and there will be more knowledgeable people on there who can give you advice on your options.
Here's the link for that thread - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970

Thank you so much for this advice and thank you for the kind words. 😀
Hello everyone,

I sat A-levels in summer 2019 at the end of Year 13 in Physics, Biology and Economics, achieving AAB with a full pass in all practical aspects. There were significant problems in the department of economics leading to the school issuing a statement explaining extenuating circumstances for all students in my cohort.
This year just past I studied a full A-Level chemistry course and recieved an A in the results day this August.
I have also sat the UCAT with a band 2, 2870 (avg 718).

I emailed the admissions team in June and explained this, getting a response stating that they "will accept an additional A-Level in Chemistry providing that I achieve or am predicted to achieve an A grade". The wording of this makes me feel slightly suspicious that my original email was not fully read and that it appears as though I already met the qualifications for study and I did chemistry for fun/because its a prerequisite.

I phoned up today to double check and was told that my case is actually a disrupted studies application so i was reading through and as far as i can tell i SHOULD be able to apply and meet all the criteria but the lady on the phone couldnt tell me if i am eligible or not. (you have to apply and hope you are eligible?!?!... anyway).
When reading this it also states that "Disrupted studies are not considered once an applicant has received their A
Level grades." so I have no clue what to do. Does this mean i am disrupted studies or not?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: to clarify i am applying this year and will be hoping for entry in 2021.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by stormylolol
Hello everyone,

I sat A-levels in summer 2019 at the end of Year 13 in Physics, Biology and Economics, achieving AAB with a full pass in all practical aspects. There were significant problems in the department of economics leading to the school issuing a statement explaining extenuating circumstances for all students in my cohort.
This year just past I studied a full A-Level chemistry course and recieved an A in the results day this August.
I have also sat the UCAT with a band 2, 2870 (avg 718).

I emailed the admissions team in June and explained this, getting a response stating that they "will accept an additional A-Level in Chemistry providing that I achieve or am predicted to achieve an A grade". The wording of this makes me feel slightly suspicious that my original email was not fully read and that it appears as though I already met the qualifications for study and I did chemistry for fun/because its a prerequisite.

I phoned up today to double check and was told that my case is actually a disrupted studies application so i was reading through and as far as i can tell i SHOULD be able to apply and meet all the criteria but the lady on the phone couldnt tell me if i am eligible or not. (you have to apply and hope you are eligible?!?!... anyway).
When reading this it also states that "Disrupted studies are not considered once an applicant has received their A
Level grades." so I have no clue what to do. Does this mean i am disrupted studies or not?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: to clarify i am applying this year and will be hoping for entry in 2021.

Please post your queries about Sheffield A100 in this dedicated thread. Thank you :smile:

Post originally created by ecolier.

Latest

Trending

Trending