The Student Room Group

Even my CAG grades are low

I emailed my teacher asking me why he gave me D for my CAG when I got an A for my mocks and was getting A and B's in his classroom and I got a reply 'we aren't allowed to discuss this matter, hope you understand' like wtf lol so now even though threes a U-turn it doesn't benefit me at all. This is stupid.

Scroll to see replies

You cant even appeal CAG so its actually unfair especially for students who never even got a long with their teachers and now theyr teachers have given em sh-tty grades to take the piss
You should be able to appeal this under the condition that you don't believe you've been treated fairly by you institution. They'll investigate it and look at things like your mock grades. If they are A's and B's as you say, i wouldn't imagine that it would be too hard to get a fair grade in the end.

When I got my centre assessed grades, the back read

GUIDELINES FOR AN APPEAL AGAINST A CENTRE ASSESSED GRADE

1. A student can only appeal this grade/rank order on the grounds of discrimination/bias by the school. In the first instance this should be done in writing to the Principal of the school by Thursday 3rd September 2020. The appeal can only be made against the process and not the mark submitted.
2. The Principal will arrange a review to be conducted; the outcome of which will result in either:
a. no irregularity in the procedure of awarding Centre Assessed Grades and rank orders. In this case the student will be informed. The students will have an opportunity to request a review of the school’s decision not to inform the exam board.
b. irregularity in the procedure of awarding Centre Assessed Grades and rank orders. In this case the exam board will be informed immediately. The exam board could then take a decision to investigate the evidence as malpractice by the school.
3. This outcome will be communicated to the student within 14 days.
4. In exceptional circumstances, the student can appeal to the exam board directly if there is evidence of bias or discrimination.

These were the guidelines on results day, but I don't think that they're outdated. Definitely worth a try.

Hope that helped.
What would I say in the email tho, idek how to word it but thank you
Original post by aisharaindrop
What would I say in the email tho, idek how to word it but thank you

Probably just start with with addressing your principal and say something like I wish to appeal my centre assessed grades as I believe I have been treated unfairly. I have evidence in class work and mock results to prove that my centre assessed grade is an unfair reflection of my performance throughout the year.

Something like that :smile:
Wev not been given any guidance from our schools if we can even appeal CAGs and the news is saying we cant? im confused

"Those parents and pupils who don’t like their CAGs [centre-assessed grades] now Ofqual have always said and we kind of agreed with them, that you should not be able to appeal against CAGs, because there is no one better equipped, can never be anyone better equipped than the teacher to determine the CAG and so it was never going to be possible to appeal against CAGs," he said.
https://www.tes.com/news/gcses-A-levels-2020-please-dont-allow-cag-appeals-say-schools
Wev not been given any guidance from our schools if we can even appeal CAGs and the news is saying we cant? im confused

"Those parents and pupils who don’t like their CAGs [centre-assessed grades] now Ofqual have always said and we kind of agreed with them, that you should not be able to appeal against CAGs, because there is no one better equipped, can never be anyone better equipped than the teacher to determine the CAG and so it was never going to be possible to appeal against CAGs," he said.
https://www.tes.com/news/gcses-A-levels-2020-please-dont-allow-cag-appeals-say-schools

Maybe the appeal advice I gave from results day may be outdated. Personally though, if I were you, and I got a D for something i really believed I deserved an A in and have multiple pieces of evidence that say ' Look i am literally an A student' then I would be sending emails to my principal, ofqual and everyone that's relevant and I would keep doing that until I got a case worker or something like that.
I emailed my teacher asking me why he gave me D for my CAG when I got an A for my mocks and was getting A and B's in his classroom and I got a reply 'we aren't allowed to discuss this matter, hope you understand' like wtf lol so now even though threes a U-turn it doesn't benefit me at all. This is stupid.

So peak brother. My cag was a C tho I got a C in the mocks tho friends with d and even e in the mocks have been predicted A’s

OH MY GOODNESS.
OH MY GOODNESS.
OH MY GOODNESS.

It's the end of the world. I need to be able to appeal my B grade. Someone help me.
Original post by cheerIeader
OH MY GOODNESS.
OH MY GOODNESS.
OH MY GOODNESS.

It's the end of the world. I need to be able to appeal my B grade. Someone help me.

Have you read Ofqual's page on the matter here? https://www.gov.uk/appeal-qualification-result/request-review
Original post by Lemur14
Have you read Ofqual's page on the matter here? https://www.gov.uk/appeal-qualification-result/request-review

I just read it and I'm quite confused.. who would review the grade and on what grounds would this be based on?
I have plenty of evidence to prove I deserve an A grade but I'm not sure how this appeal would be put forward.

Also is there a possibility of the grade going down?
I just read it and I'm quite confused.. who would review the grade and on what grounds would this be based on?
I have plenty of evidence to prove I deserve an A grade but I'm not sure how this appeal would be put forward.

Also is there a possibility of the grade going down?

I assume it would be either someone at the exam board or Ofqual, depending on why you were appealing. Essentially you're only going to be able to appeal if your school agrees it made a mistake with giving you a CAG of a B, or if you have evidence of discrimination (which is quite difficult to prove).
The only reason I could see for your grade going down is if somehow while claiming discrimination they decided they were discriminating towards you rather than against you, so rather unlikely! If the school says they put your CAG in incorrectly then it's not going to cause it to go down given you're being awarded your CAG (unless your calculated grade is higher)
Original post by Lemur14
I assume it would be either someone at the exam board or Ofqual, depending on why you were appealing. Essentially you're only going to be able to appeal if your school agrees it made a mistake with giving you a CAG of a B, or if you have evidence of discrimination (which is quite difficult to prove).
The only reason I could see for your grade going down is if somehow while claiming discrimination they decided they were discriminating towards you rather than against you, so rather unlikely! If the school says they put your CAG in incorrectly then it's not going to cause it to go down given you're being awarded your CAG (unless your calculated grade is higher)

So are you saying it is even possible for someone’s grade to go down?
Original post by Lemur14

I mean, I got a D last year in this subject so the CAG of a B could ultimately be seen as fair. I wouldn't use the word 'discrimination' to describe the grade given but I do know I completed my coursework to an A* standard this year and consistently achieved A*/A grades in all my mock assessments. I only faltered in one exam last year due to extenuating circumstances and while the jump from even a D to B is huge, I'm just desperately searching for a way to try and get it to an A. I truly don't want to appeal on the grounds of bias/discrimination, it seems like an opposition to my exam centre almost which isn't fair.

Do you think this is the final appeals process? It still appears to be quite rusty.
Original post by JGoosey2002
So are you saying it is even possible for someone’s grade to go down?

According to that page, yes. I'm wondering if it's slightly out of date though, since I think I recall Ofqual's statement the other day saying it wouldn't be possible for it to go down :beard:
I mean, I got a D last year in this subject so the CAG of a B could ultimately be seen as fair. I wouldn't use the word 'discrimination' to describe the grade given but I do know I completed my coursework to an A* standard this year and consistently achieved A*/A grades in all my mock assessments. I only faltered in one exam last year due to extenuating circumstances and while the jump from even a D to B is huge, I'm just desperately searching for a way to try and get it to an A. I truly don't want to appeal on the grounds of bias/discrimination, it seems like an opposition to my exam centre almost which isn't fair.

Do you think this is the final appeals process? It still appears to be quite rusty.

It seems so unfortunately :frown: TSR has an article about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse-and-a-level-students-will-not-be-able-to-use-mock-results-to-appeal-grades

Unless there's been another u-turn by the government, I read that GCSE students CAN now appeal their grades using their predicted grades. I only remember getting a sheet with predicted grades on in around January of Yr 10 - I really hope these are what they're talking about.
Original post by NatNeedsHelp
Unless there's been another u-turn by the government, I read that GCSE students CAN now appeal their grades using their predicted grades. I only remember getting a sheet with predicted grades on in around January of Yr 10 - I really hope these are what they're talking about.

I'm sorry WHAT? So GCSE students (whose results won't matter for a single month more) are allowed to appeal but A-Level students are not?
This is a travesty of justice.
I'm sorry WHAT? So GCSE students (whose results won't matter for a single month more) are allowed to appeal but A-Level students are not?
This is a travesty of justice.

It's the same now for A level students too I think, but this is a GCSE thread so I didn't mention it
Original post by NatNeedsHelp
It's the same now for A level students too I think, but this is a GCSE thread so I didn't mention it

This is an A-Levels thread. You can only appeal your CAG on bias/discrimination which is really hard to do or if you believe the centre has made a administrative error when processing the CAG

Quick Reply

Latest