The Student Room Group

Will clearing at Lancaster reopen??

My daughter applied to Lancaster thru clearing but didnt have the grades, since the CAGs were released she now meets the required grades. How can she ensure she gets a place? She is wanting to study business management degree at Lancaster??
Original post by S Norris
My daughter applied to Lancaster thru clearing but didnt have the grades, since the CAGs were released she now meets the required grades. How can she ensure she gets a place? She is wanting to study business management degree at Lancaster??

As far as I can tell, if Lancaster said there are no remaining spaces, there will be no way. Unis will also now be prioritising those who originally firmed them but were rejected due to the grade mess-up and now the subsequent u-turn. Have you phoned Lancaster to enquire about spaces?
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
As far as I can tell, if Lancaster said there are no remaining spaces, there will be no way. Unis will also now be prioritising those who originally firmed them but were rejected due to the grade mess-up and now the subsequent u-turn. Have you phoned Lancaster to enquire about spaces?

Lancaster haven't said there aren't any spaces, she originally applied for law, degree & made Lancaster her firm choice. She didn't get the grades for that specific course, so she applied thru clearing for business management course advising thst her grades were being upgraded, but they said the y couldn't accept her unless they were the actual grades. Since the CAGs were released she now has the grades. It's not her fault thst she didn't get the grades changed begorw clearing closed. She had been in touch with Lancaster disabilities because she has a disability & they were putting lots in place for her. Her psychiatrist wrote to Lancaster too. Are you able to give me a contact number of someone senior whom I can speak to about this please??
Lancaster haven't said there aren't any spaces, she originally applied for law, degree & made Lancaster her firm choice. She didn't get the grades for that specific course, so she applied thru clearing for business management course advising thst her grades were being upgraded, but they said the y couldn't accept her unless they were the actual grades. Since the CAGs were released she now has the grades. It's not her fault thst she didn't get the grades changed begorw clearing closed. She had been in touch with Lancaster disabilities because she has a disability & they were putting lots in place for her. Her psychiatrist wrote to Lancaster too. Are you able to give me a contact number of someone senior whom I can speak to about this please??

The problem is universities only have so much room and universities cant wave a wand to create more accommodation and lecture halls so if it is full then there is nothing anybody can do to help your daughter. This is a problem of just giving everyone the CAGs. Teachers over predict every year. 75% of their predictions are over predictions and this year despite record high grades the authorities have seen fit to further inflate grades and give 280000 higher grades.

It is a recipe for disaster. There is absolutely no way the universities can accept these students and most of these students will be offered places for next year thereby reducing the numbers able to get in who are sitting next year.

Last year Bristol University ended up placing 25 students in Newport because there was no room in Bristol.

Having 280000 students looking for places more than past years is going to create its own problem.

Hi @S Norris
It's a really difficult situation for everyone. We were in Clearing, and there were places until Monday when we closed, as you know, prior to the announcement.
Now we have an obligation to accommodate all our existing offer holders with their reinstated CAG. If we had had these grades initially, those students would have already been placed with us and we would have had far fewer places to release into Clearing and some courses that we did place students into through Clearing might not have gone into Clearing at all.
It might be that we reopen Clearing once we have had chance to process all the reinstated grades, but at this point, we can't say. If we do, this will, obviously be updated on our website.
You can email [email protected] with your daughter's clearing ID and her CAG, to let the Admissions team know she is still very interested, but I can't say there will be places available once we have honoured our offers.
If your daughter's heart is set on Lancaster, and we can't place her this time, we'd love to receive an application from her for 2021 entry.
I hope it works out for her
Louise
Lancaster TSR Team

Hi @S Norris
I don't know if your daughter has got a place sorted now, but if not, we do have a small number of courses now open in Clearing, including Marketing, but not Business Management.
Thanks
Louise
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi @S Norris
I don't know if your daughter has got a place sorted now, but if not, we do have a small number of courses now open in Clearing, including Marketing, but not Business Management.
Thanks
Louise

Thank you for your reply, she has BBC & doesn't want to do maths. But thank you for thinking of her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending