The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Same Sex Room in Trafalgar

Hi, I went through adjustment into Portsmouth and have been placed into a same-sex section in Trafalgar, was wondering if my girlfriend would be able to visit me? Or are no females allowed in that area?

Thank you!
I assume it means all people in your block of 6/8? will be male.
But it won’t be that no females are allowed ever! (But be considerate of flat mates)
(If it was, it would be very very clear before you signed up)
I wonder if there are any very strict no opposite sex accommodation anywhere? I can see the appeal to some religious people, but then they work more likely stay in private accommodation;or their family would not let them attend university Unchaperoned.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hi!

Trafalgar is great - you're going to love it!

No, it does not mean that! it just means you shared a flat with all boys! You still can have people over (I am not sure about the rules now because of COVID :frown:). We may not be able to have visitors for a while, but as I said I am not sure.

However, just because you're in a same-sex flat does not mean you cannot have your girlfriend round :smile: I mean I guess it depends on your flat too - will they be fine with it?

If you have any more questions then let me know :smile:

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Catherine1973
I assume it means all people in your block of 6/8? will be male.
But it won’t be that no females are allowed ever! (But be considerate of flat mates)
(If it was, it would be very very clear before you signed up)
I wonder if there are any very strict no opposite sex accommodation anywhere? I can see the appeal to some religious people, but then they work more likely stay in private accommodation;or their family would not let them attend university Unchaperoned.

Yeah because I was worried that University of Essex for example, does not allow any visitors of the opposite gender in a same-sex flat
https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/accommodation/how-to-apply

I read that a lot of people who are placed in same-sex flats are in the same situation as me where they have been allocated this as these were the last spots available, but then again there are people with their reasons to stay in same-sex flats and I respect that!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Trafalgar is great - you're going to love it!

No, it does not mean that! it just means you shared a flat with all boys! You still can have people over (I am not sure about the rules now because of COVID :frown:). We may not be able to have visitors for a while, but as I said I am not sure.

However, just because you're in a same-sex flat does not mean you cannot have your girlfriend round :smile: I mean I guess it depends on your flat too - will they be fine with it?

If you have any more questions then let me know :smile:

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you for your reply, that sounds great! Obviously I'll have to check with my room mates and make sure they're okay with it first
Original post by arturik331
Yeah because I was worried that University of Essex for example, does not allow any visitors of the opposite gender in a same-sex flat
https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/accommodation/how-to-apply

I read that a lot of people who are placed in same-sex flats are in the same situation as me where they have been allocated this as these were the last spots available, but then again there are people with their reasons to stay in same-sex flats and I respect that!

It may be worth checking this with Portsmouth accommodation office first. I'd get a written confirmation that guests are allowed before signing/accepting anything. For example, at Essex there are very few same-sex accommodations and these are usually only for people that explicitly requests them (to avoid people ending up in same-sex accommodation unwillingly). Same-sex accommodation is an important requirement (most campus Universities in UK have this) to be inclusive and respectful of people's cultures and religions.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending