The Student Room Group

When will the Tories behave like the Tories again?

They are behaving like a Labour government rn.

Scroll to see replies

I think you are correct in saying they are not really a Conservative government, but I disagree with the idea that they are like a Labour government. A Labour government would have acted sooner in March, perhaps under pressure from education and health trade unions. A Labour government would not have given half price meals in McDonalds.

Much as Jeremy Corbyn was criticised justifiably for the manifesto Labour put forward with such unrealistic ideas as free broadband, and for the lack of action over members anti-semitic comments, even with his poor leadership skills I think fewer people would have died from the virus. Probably Jeremy Hunt or Sajid Javid would have been better, but no-one would have been as bad as Boris Johnson.
Original post by Other_Owl

What do you expect with BoJo in charge? Long gone are the days of David Cameron with his sensible policies and level-headed politics. Theresa May oversaw the destruction of that mindset, and allowed BoJo to take the reins as PM. Our only hope now is that Chancellor Rishi Sunak will take BoJo's place and bring this country back to some sort of sensibility.
Reply 3
Original post by Gundabad(good)
What do you expect with BoJo in charge? Long gone are the days of David Cameron with his sensible policies and level-headed politics. Theresa May oversaw the destruction of that mindset, and allowed BoJo to take the reins as PM. Our only hope now is that Chancellor Rishi Sunak will take BoJo's place and bring this country back to some sort of sensibility.

You really love Sunak dont u lol
When the pendulum balance swings away from the wets, decisively towards the Thatcherite wing and remains firmly in place for at least 24months.
Alas, Rishi hasn't done anything. Anyone can stand at the bar and shout "Free drinks on me" before scootching out through the toilet window without paying.

The true judgement of this government will be in the next few years when unemployment is knocking on 10%, post Brexit red tape is hampering business and illegal migrants / refugees are still coming to the UK in ever increasing numbers. At least when they came in trucks we could pretend they weren't coming at all.
Original post by Nabu123
You really love Sunak dont u lol

rishi-sunak.jpg
When Rishi Sunak gets sacked after having ****ed the economy up.
Reply 8

If Johnson is that terrible wouldnt that by default make Sunak just another **** up of his?
The last few Labour governments had their issues, but they were vastly more competent than the current shower. This lot lurch from one self-induced catastro-**** to the next. Boris is plainly wildly out of his depth as PM and he has deputised government to an arrogant fool who thinks he knows everything yet is clearly utterly clueless when it comes to the job of running a country. The only man with a serious intellect in the government is Rishi Sunak but he will come under more pressure over the coming months as unemployment surges.
Original post by Napp
If Johnson is that terrible wouldnt that by default make Sunak just another **** up of his?

You're forgetting the fact that Sunak is patiently waiting for BoJo to completely f*ck things up. He might seem loyal to BoJo but he's just biding his time.

This is classical behaviour by a Tory Governnent!

No clue about most matters
Propaganda, deception, lies, and erroneous arguments.
A cabinet full of clowns that nobody will employ anywhere else.
And the pursue of Brexit...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12

Really?

Old Labour you mean? This is nothing like the competance of new Labour.
Reply 13
rishi-sunak.jpg

Sunak stole our future to buy himself a nice dinner suit?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The last few Labour governments had their issues, but they were vastly more competent than the current shower. This lot lurch from one self-induced catastro-**** to the next. Boris is plainly wildly out of his depth as PM and he has deputised government to an arrogant fool who thinks he knows everything yet is clearly utterly clueless when it comes to the job of running a country. The only man with a serious intellect in the government is Rishi Sunak but he will come under more pressure over the coming months as unemployment surges.

In the past 10 years we have seen the most catastrophic policies from successive Tory Governments with the pursue of Brexit to be top in the list of these policies. Regardless of who comes into power it will take decades to recover.

This Government is charcterised by lies, deception, propaganda, and twisting of all facts that have been presented to them. The way they handled the pandemic is shocking, the way they negotiate with Europe is even more shocking.

But the main issue is with the most immature and stupid electorate in the history of this country. Even labour voters voted for Johnson in the last election so he can deliver their wonderful Brexit. Shocking!!!

Stupidity definitely has no limits!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Sunak stole our future to buy himself a nice dinner suit?

No. Sunak will build our future by being sophisticated.
Original post by Quady
Really?

Old Labour you mean? This is nothing like the competance of new Labour.

This is Winter of Discontent-level pisspoor economic management.

Ever since I got into politics I've been a Tory. I'll be able to vote in 2024 and if Boris continues spending money like there's no tomorrow and trying to bring in nanny state measures, the Tories won't get my vote.
Reply 17
No. Sunak will build our future by being sophisticated.

I suppose a scorched earth policy gives a nice low baseline to build from.
Original post by LiberOfLondon

Ever since I got into politics I've been a Tory. I'll be able to vote in 2024 and if Boris continues spending money like there's no tomorrow and trying to bring in nanny state measures, the Tories won't get my vote.

I hate to be the one to defend your vote for the Tories but maybe that's not a great point on which to decide? Given that every major country on the planet has greatly expanded spending to deal with the crisis.

To my mind it is the corruption of the current government that is the most dreadful thing about them, closely followed by the terrible results of the austerity programme on the current crisis, which by the way Johnson keenly supported throughout. Then we have the way the Tories just can't get themselves out of the Brexit hole and are increasingly heading towards an economy-crushing Hard Brexit, mainly through complete ideological rigidity and through what seem to be hidden mechanisms at work where foreign oligarchs dominate Tory policy.
Reply 19
Original post by LiberOfLondon

Yeah thats about the level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending