The Student Room Group

American ideas about racism are influencing Europe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bhadbhabie
Um. No.

So you want the UK to adopt the leftist American values currently on display in Portland?
Reply 21
Original post by LiberOfLondon
So you want the UK to adopt the leftist American values currently on display in Portland?

Ah the eden of the west where racists and sexists (who the poster admires for some reason) lob petrol bombs and other weapons at police. Never mind the ones who attack normal civilians and whine when they get shot for it.

Yeah perfect way to live :wink:

I want equality for all, which is what the American left is fighting for. While their operation in achieving this equality can be criticized, I believe the principles for which they are protesting are entirely valid and deserving of immediate public and governmental attention.
I want equality for all, which is what the American left is fighting for.

Explain to me how kicking a truck driver's head in, demanding whites give up their houses or burning down the Multomah building fights for equality?
I want equality for all, which is what the American left is fighting for. While their operation in achieving this equality can be criticized, I believe the principles for which they are protesting are entirely valid and deserving of immediate public and governmental attention.

What do you think the Uk left is fighting for if not that?

Politically speaking, the American left is similar to the UK right in their immediate aims. Our actual left wing politics is far to the left of all but the fringe of American politics.

Publically speaking, on almost all metrics the UK population is more tolerant, less prejudiced and more open than the american public.

I mean, America is still grappling with the police killing black people... and you want us to be as progressive as they are?
(edited 3 years ago)
Explain to me how kicking a truck driver's head in, demanding whites give up their houses or burning down the Multomah building fights for equality?

Interesting how you elect to acknowledge only the first sentence of my initial response. Perhaps if you acknowledged the remainder, you'd understand that their demonstrations are open to criticism and I am neither supporting, nor defending them. The principles for which they are rallying, however, are entirely valid. Equality for all.
Original post by fallen_acorns

Politically speaking, the American left is similar to the UK right in their immediate aims. Our actual left wing politics is far to the left of all but the fringe of American politics.

Publically speaking, on almost all metrics the UK population is more tolerant, less prejudiced and more open than the american public.

UK population more tolerant, less prejudiced and more open than the American public? Don't make me laugh. I've been attacked for my views by so many members of the "tolerant" UK public on here, I've lost count.
Interesting how you elect to acknowledge only the first sentence of my initial response. Perhaps if you acknowledged the remainder, you'd understand that their demonstrations are open to criticism and I am neither supporting, nor defending them. The principles for which they are rallying, however, are entirely valid. Equality for all.

Except Antifa don't want equality - just look at what their members call black conservatives.
Except Antifa don't want equality - just look at what their members call black conservatives.

Antifa are not wholly representative of the liberal and left-leaning American public.

Every single political ideology has birthed an extremist group. That doesn't suggest the ideology is inherently flawed. If this were the case, then every single ideology ranging from political to social to religious would be categorically flawed.

#SayNoToExtremistGroups
UK population more tolerant, less prejudiced and more open than the American public? Don't make me laugh. I've been attacked for my views by so many members of the "tolerant" UK public on here, I've lost count.

What do you think would have happened if you had starting spouting your views in the bible belt in America? They would have supported you with open arms and agreed with how tolerant you are?
Antifa are not wholly representative of the liberal and left-leaning American public.

Every single political ideology has birthed an extremist group. That doesn't suggest the ideology is inherently flawed. If this were the case, then every single ideology ranging from political to social to religious would be categorically flawed.

#SayNoToExtremistGroups

American leftists in positions of power have refused to come down hard on Antifa though
@bhadbhabie

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2011/11/17/the-american-western-european-values-gap/

This will be useful to you...

If you don't want to read it, just skim down and look at the graphs.

Across the board, the UK populous is more liberal and progressive in nature than the American public.

Don't be fooled by the progressive american sources you likely follow - they aren't representative. In general, America is the most right-wing and least progressive of all the anglosphere countries, and tends to lag years behind Western Europe when it comes to progressive politics and social values.

After all, don't forget that they are the nation who voted for trump... And the only guy who seems to be able to beat trump (Biden) would be a conservative if here held identical views to those he holds now, but were in the UK.
@bhadbhabie

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2011/11/17/the-american-western-european-values-gap/

This will be useful to you...

If you don't want to read it, just skim down and look at the graphs.

Across the board, the UK populous is more liberal and progressive in nature than the American public.

Don't be fooled by the progressive american sources you likely follow - they aren't representative. In general, America is the most right-wing and least progressive of all the anglosphere countries, and tends to lag years behind Western Europe when it comes to progressive politics and social values.

After all, don't forget that they are the nation who voted for trump... And the only guy who seems to be able to beat trump (Biden) would be a conservative if here held identical views to those he holds now, but were in the UK.

Thank you for this source. I will look into it.
And the only guy who seems to be able to beat trump (Biden) would be a conservative if here held identical views to those he holds now, but were in the UK.

No - Biden would be a Lib Dem at most.
No - Biden would be a Lib Dem at most.

I'm not so sure, I think that the more liberal of his party would fit in well with the lib dems, but Biden? hes a middle of the road, safe kind of politician, small icnrimental changes, don't rock the boat type of guy... He would have fit in very well in David Cameron's goverment. He would have gotten his healthcare, equal marriage, equality act, increases to migration etc, all things he likes, but he wouldn't have been pushed as far as corbyn+co would have gone, which is bassically communism by american political standards.
I'm not so sure, I think that the more liberal of his party would fit in well with the lib dems, but Biden? hes a middle of the road, safe kind of politician, small icnrimental changes, don't rock the boat type of guy... He would have fit in very well in David Cameron's goverment. He would have gotten his healthcare, equal marriage, equality act, increases to migration etc, all things he likes, but he wouldn't have been pushed as far as corbyn+co would have gone, which is bassically communism by american political standards.

Isn't the closest American parallel to Corbyn Bernie?
Isn't the closest American parallel to Corbyn Bernie?

In terms of their relative possition within each countries political spectrum - yes,

hes still to the right of Corbyn for me, although a few of his policies (free tuition fees, higher tax on the highest earners) do overlap. The vast majority of his policies also overlap with the conservatives in the UK, given that our tory party is pretty progressive internationally speaking.

But Bernie isn't representative of the democrat party - hes to the left of them, hence why hes failed to become the nominee for the last two times, his policies, to the right of corbyn, are still to extreme for most of the party..
Reply 37
In terms of their relative possition within each countries political spectrum - yes,

hes still to the right of Corbyn for me, although a few of his policies (free tuition fees, higher tax on the highest earners) do overlap. The vast majority of his policies also overlap with the conservatives in the UK, given that our tory party is pretty progressive internationally speaking.

But Bernie isn't representative of the democrat party - hes to the left of them, hence why hes failed to become the nominee for the last two times, his policies, to the right of corbyn, are still to extreme for most of the party..

He always came across as rather a wind sock to be honest. Whilst he might of sincerely held several of the policies he put forth a fair whack of them just seemed to be churned off the progressive assembly line. Similar to Corbyn in a manner of speaking.

I've said before that the Dems should really split into two parties. One party for the more progressive Democrats such as Bernie, AOC and the Justice Dems, and one party for moderates like Biden.

I mean, America is still grappling with the police killing black people... and you want us to be as progressive as they are?

PRSOM. I wish I had given rep to this post, but PRSOM nevertheless!

Maybe it's your views that are bad, not the UK public?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending