The Student Room Group

GCSE Private Candidate - Unable to Apply to Sixth Form

Hi,
So im 17. Done my GCSE in 2019, unfortunately i didnt get into sixth form. I wanted to redo my GCSE'S and reply with new grades.
However the exams were cancelled and im left without a grade ( not even a calculated one)

I headed to 3 sixth forms in my town before summer to ask if i can be accepted based on evidence, however they haven't replied with a single email. I was hoping to get in touch in September when schools start and have a chance.

But now i see that the over graded GCSE results might lead to overflow of students in sixth forms.
Which that does make me nervous as it literally just puts a line through my plans. Plans that i really hoped that would come true.

Maybe anyone can help? Say somethin? Help in some way?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 1pikapikachu
Hi,
So im 17. Done my GCSE in 2019, unfortunately i didnt get into sixth form. I wanted to redo my GCSE'S and reply with new grades.
However the exams were cancelled and im left without a grade ( not even a calculated one)

I headed to 3 sixth forms in my town before summer to ask if i can be accepted based on evidence, however they haven't replied with a single email. I was hoping to get in touch in September when schools start and have a chance.

But now i see that the over graded GCSE results might lead to overflow of students in sixth forms.
Which that does make me nervous as it literally just puts a line through my plans. Plans that i really hoped that would come true.

I would try contacting some sixth forms and colleges by phone today if you can. Most will be open as they will have students getting results.

What sort of courses could you qualify for with you 2019 grades?
Reply 2
Hi,

I dont really know as Im seventeen currently studiyng a levels in sixthform in year 13 in september, as perhaps u didnt met grades before, only accepting years 11 of now that were supposed to go gcse's, also perhaps can u retake in october then reapply or try go to the sixthform itself and speak to a member of staff to dea with it.
Reply 3
and could depend oncourse iteself e.g sciences, maths etc many students do it, so could be booked or those offered unconditional offers or met grades filled up space, as my gcses i 2 9s, 47s, 26s,
Original post by Carismaw
I dont really know as Im seventeen currently studiyng a levels in sixthform in year 13 in september, as perhaps u didnt met grades before, only accepting years 11 of now that were supposed to go gcse's, also perhaps can u retake in october then reapply or try go to the sixth form itself and speak to a member of staff to dea with it.

I was instructed by ofqual that going to sixth form at 17 is fine cuz the funding is till 19 years old. Also that sixth forms accept anyone till the age of 19.
I am taking my gcse in november (as i didnt get a predicted) But the results will be about january/February.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I would try contacting some sixth forms and colleges by phone today if you can. Most will be open as they will have students getting results.

What sort of courses could you qualify for with you 2019 grades?

I can qualify for history and got the half of the requirements of psychology (thats what I want to do)
From the requirements I lack a single grade.

I might try phoning them but the thing is I'm afraid of over capacity and they will just say that they don't have space for me and thats all.
I can qualify for history and got the half of the requirements of psychology (thats what I want to do)
From the requirements I lack a single grade.

I might try phoning them but the thing is I'm afraid of over capacity and they will just say that they don't have space for me and thats all.

Well, if you don't phone them, you'll never know.

You might also want to consider distance learning options, or looking at BTECs?
Well, if you don't phone them, you'll never know.

You might also want to consider distance learning options, or looking at BTECs?

I am studying BTEC, however personally I feel that I just don't fit there and want to go to sixth form where I can do a range of subjects and be more happy.

I thought about distance learning however its expensive I will have a look tho.

I phoned them and 2 of them told me to get back in sept. One of the schools arent picking up
I am studying BTEC, however personally I feel that I just don't fit there and want to go to sixth form where I can do a range of subjects and be more happy.

I thought about distance learning however its expensive I will have a look tho.

I phoned them and 2 of them told me to get back in sept. One of the schools arent picking up

Well hopefully you will have some luck in September then.

Maybe it would help to see the BTEC as a means to an end, of going to uni where you could study something you enjoy more?
Well hopefully you will have some luck in September then.

Maybe it would help to see the BTEC as a means to an end, of going to uni where you could study something you enjoy more?

Maybe I'm overeacting with the while thing with sixth forms. Probably because of the news about sixth forms with full capacity

True, UNI allows me to go to a foundation year at certain subjects that aren't very correlated with the course.
Anyways, thanks. I will see in a bout a week or so
Maybe I'm overeacting with the while thing with sixth forms. Probably because of the news about sixth forms with full capacity

True, UNI allows me to go to a foundation year at certain subjects that aren't very correlated with the course.
Anyways, thanks. I will see in a bout a week or so

good luck any quieres plz email me i can help your or if studiyng gcse help cna help prepare u and tutor as i ahve tutored before

Quick Reply

Latest