The Student Room Group

A level maths, ICT and economics

I have enrolled to do the three A levels named above (maths, economics, and ICT) but I am very worried about doing well in them but I haven’t even started the courses yet. I want to do as well as possible and was just wondering does anyone have any advice on how I can do well once starting the courses and to keep on top of things. For example how to plan schedules for each subject, manage my time so I’m not overwhelmed etc
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bennic18
I have enrolled to do the three A levels named above (maths, economics, and ICT) but I am very worried about doing well in them yet I haven’t even started the courses yet. I want to do as well as possible and was just wondering does anyone have any advice on how I can do well once starting the courses and to keep on top of things. For example how to plan schedules for each subject, manage my time so I’m not overwhelmed etc

If you weren't overwhelmed during GCSEs you will be fine in year 12, the jump isn't that bad. Just keep on top of your homework and if you ever feel like you don't understand anything adress it straight away by asking your teacher. Make sure you continuously do maths practice questions for each topic - the more you do the better you'll be prepared. Learn your essay structure for economics, Not sure about ICT but if just make sure you prepare for you in-school tests and you'll be fine.
I took Maths Physics and Econ and got A* in Maths and an A in Economics so I can help out with those subjects!

For Maths: Please revise A LOT and do ALL of the old past papers and practice A LOT of questions! You need to stay on top of your work and do your homework on time.. please dont think that "this topic is hard and it might not come up in the exam!" cause every mark counts!

For Economics: I read the entire textbook as a story book and what I did was basically use those situation with real life problems.. so for example how does demand and supply work with a certain product? say oil? and so on... I would also recommend looking at sample essays and using a particular format! reading the news helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Incede
If you weren't overwhelmed during GCSEs you will be fine in year 12, the jump isn't that bad. Just keep on top of your homework and if you ever feel like you don't understand anything adress it straight away by asking your teacher. Make sure you continuously do maths practice questions for each topic - the more you do the better you'll be prepared. Learn your essay structure for economics, Not sure about ICT but if just make sure you prepare for you in-school tests and you'll be fine.

tbh with you, I really blagged GCSEs but have a completely different mindset to when I did them, I want to do as well as possible this time (I didn't find them overwhelming). I was planning to do extra work at home in to subjects I don't understand in maths by looking at youtube videos and other a level websites to get a grasp of those subjects. Do you think I should get extra questions of my teacher to do at home at days I don't have maths? When the time for revising for exams comes, I am planning to do as many past papers as possible multiple times over. With ICT I have friends who have just done AS level so they said they will help me. Thank you for your advice its much appreciated. Sorry for the bombard of questions :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bored_user:)
I took Maths Physics and Econ and got A* in Maths and an A in Economics so I can help out with those subjects!

For Maths: Please revise A LOT and do ALL of the old past papers and practice A LOT of questions! You need to stay on top of your work and do your homework on time.. please dont think that "this topic is hard and it might not come up in the exam!" cause every mark counts!

For Economics: I read the entire textbook as a story book and what I did was basically use those situation with real life problems.. so for example how does demand and supply work with a certain product? say oil? and so on... I would also recommend looking at sample essays and using a particular format! reading the news helps!

Thank you for your advice it's much appreciated and puts me at rest a bit.

For maths I am planning to do all my work and just put my head down so that I can concentrate as much as possible, I'm going to research the topics that I don't understand at home by watching youtube videos and looking at a level websites to understand so I don't fall behind in class. I will do as many past papers as possible when the time of revision comes. I plan to do all my homework as soon as I get it to prevent me from slacking and changing my attitude. I also plan to do as you said with the it won't come up in the exam concept, everything that my tutor teaches me and recommends for me to revise thoroughly I will.

With economics I will look into the sample essays to get a look at what to expect when answering the questions. Would you say that economics is more just learning question types and how the examiner wants you to answer them or is it a lot of retaining information then putting it into a format?
(edited 3 years ago)
tbh with you, I really blagged GCSEs but have a completely different mindset to when I did them, I want to do as well as possible this time (I didn't find them overwhelming). I was planning to do extra work at home in to subjects I don't understand in maths by looking at youtube videos and other a level websites to get a grasp of those subjects. Do you think I should get extra questions of my teacher to do at home at days I don't have maths? When the time for revising for exams comes, I am planning to do as many past papers as possible multiple times over. With ICT I have friends who have just done AS level so they said they will help me. Thank you for your advice its much appreciated. Sorry for the bombard of questions :smile:

If you didn't do well at GCSE then the jump is probably going to be hard despite your change in mindset. It's good that you want to do well but try not to lose that motivation as it may get harder as you go.

For maths there's no need to get questions from your teacher. Do the questions in your textbook and do questions online (physicsandmathstutor has loads of questions on each topic which are exam board specific). If you don't understand something you can learn it on youtube or from your teacher then consolidate with as many practice questions as you can until you are confident that you wouldn't need to revisit that topic/concept. Doing past papers before your exams is a very effective way of preparing especially for maths.

On a sidenote is computer science an option at your school? You may want to do that over ICT as it's generally a better subject and universites also respect it more.

Work hard and smart next year and you'll be good.
Reply 6
Original post by Incede
If you didn't do well at GCSE then the jump is probably going to be hard despite your change in mindset. It's good that you want to do well but try not to lose that motivation as it may get harder as you go.

For maths there's no need to get questions from your teacher. Do the questions in your textbook and do questions online (physicsandmathstutor has loads of questions on each topic which are exam board specific). If you don't understand something you can learn it on youtube or from your teacher then consolidate with as many practice questions as you can until you are confident that you wouldn't need to revisit that topic/concept. Doing past papers before your exams is a very effective way of preparing especially for maths.

On a sidenote is computer science an option at your school? You may want to do that over ICT as it's generally a better subject and universites also respect it more.

Work hard and smart next year and you'll be good.

I didn't do bad at GCSEs I just didn't revise as much as I should have, I got pretty good grades in everything, I have the ability I've been told my ex teachers and the people around me but I just didn't have the work ethic I needed, but I have the motivation now that I was missing. Thanks for the advice on maths I will take all of that on board throughout my studies to make sure I don't fall behind.

Computer science is an option at my college but I thought ICT would have been more respected more for jobs including IT, would it be worth changing ICT to computer science when I go for my interview?

I plan to work hard and get the grades that reflect me this year and next year, just I'm a stress head and things like this really worry me, thanks for the advice :smile:
I didn't do bad at GCSEs I just didn't revise as much as I should have, I got pretty good grades in everything, I have the ability I've been told my ex teachers and the people around me but I just didn't have the work ethic I needed, but I have the motivation now that I was missing. Thanks for the advice on maths I will take all of that on board throughout my studies to make sure I don't fall behind.

Computer science is an option at my college but I thought ICT would have been more respected more for jobs including IT, would it be worth changing ICT to computer science when I go for my interview?

I plan to work hard and get the grades that reflect me this year and next year, just I'm a stress head and things like this really worry me, thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm sure you'll do good next year then.

Yes, you should seriously consider switching. In computer science you will learn how to use different coding techniques as well as how computers function/the internet and other things. Have a look online and compare the subjects to make sure it's something you would enjoy but computer science > ICT in pretty much all aspects.

Good luck, I'm sure you will do great!
Thank you for your advice it's much appreciated and puts me at rest a bit.

For maths I am planning to do all my work and just put my head down so that I can concentrate as much as possible, I'm going to research the topics that I don't understand at home by watching youtube videos and looking at a level websites to understand so I don't fall behind in class. I will do as many past papers as possible when the time of revision comes. I plan to do all my homework as soon as I get it to prevent me from slacking and changing my attitude. I also plan to do as you said with the it won't come up in the exam concept, everything that my tutor teaches me and recommends for me to revise thoroughly I will.

With economics I will look into the sample essays to get a look at what to expect when answering the questions. Would you say that economics is more just learning question types and how the examiner wants you to answer them or is it a lot of retaining information then putting it into a format?

Good job!

And Economics is more of understand what the examiner wants to see.. using technical words.. sticking to the question, understanding the situation using your knowledge... they might use words like deficit.. and you need to explain those words first. the key to every good essay is this:

1. Define the terms in the question and link it to the situation
2. Discuss the pros and cons of a decision being taken (if one is being taken)
3. Discuss the pros and cons using examples from everyday life and ELABORATE (This is where most people lose marks)
4. CONCLUDE (Almost everyone get out of the A* or A zone cause they dont conclude their essay)

following these steps and any other steps your teacher recommends will do you good!

Quick Reply

Latest