The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP !! Computer Science vs Electronic engineering (uni course)

Hi,

I was finding it difficult to make a decision between computer Science and Electronic engineering (with information engineering) .

I really feel like I will enjoy both subjects equally although am unable to make a choice regarding which path to take?

Having had a look at the university prospectuses for these two subjects , for me , further justified the balance.

Given the current conditions, I am also unable to attend in person for the events

I would really appreciate it, if you could provide me some advice?
Though computer science generally offers a higher salary and better job growth than electrical engineering, it allows for less practical hands-on work, is less versatile and often requires a graduate degree.

If you enjoy learning complex theory, then computer science could very well be the choice for you. As a computer science major, you would spend your education taking classes in subjects such as algorithms, computer programming, numerical analysis and computation theory.

However, students attracted to computer science by the high salary and rapid job growth may learn, as they work toward their degree, that computation theory doesn’t interest them as much as practical application would. Electrical engineering’s emphasis on applying science, technology, engineering and mathematics principles to solving problems related to computer design may make the program more appealing to students who don’t find algorithms and theory to be all that exciting. Electrical engineers design and develop electrical equipment, test their designs and oversee the manufacture of the equipment they have invented.

Both electrical engineering and computer science have breadth to their field of study, yet their focus is also somewhat narrow. A computer science major might pursue a concentration in a subject such as mobile computing, game development, cyber security or machine learning and artificial intelligence. However, the student would almost certainly work with computers, and might have a difficult time transitioning to another technology career. One benefit of electrical engineering is that it is a broader field of study than computer science. Students in electrical engineering programs take courses in computer engineering, but also in engineering the digital systems and electrical circuits found in other electrical equipment. Students of electrical engineering might go on to work with computers. They can also work on power generation systems, electric motors, navigation systems, communication systems and electronic equipment.

Keeping this in mind, it is ultimately down to you to decide what you want. Often you don't know if you'll enjoy something until you have experienced it. Try searching up some online mock lectures and see if you like any
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lege-lego
Though computer science generally offers a higher salary and better job growth than electrical engineering, it allows for less practical hands-on work, is less versatile and often requires a graduate degree.

If you enjoy learning complex theory, then computer science could very well be the choice for you. As a computer science major, you would spend your education taking classes in subjects such as algorithms, computer programming, numerical analysis and computation theory.

However, students attracted to computer science by the high salary and rapid job growth may learn, as they work toward their degree, that computation theory doesn’t interest them as much as practical application would. Electrical engineering’s emphasis on applying science, technology, engineering and mathematics principles to solving problems related to computer design may make the program more appealing to students who don’t find algorithms and theory to be all that exciting. Electrical engineers design and develop electrical equipment, test their designs and oversee the manufacture of the equipment they have invented.

Both electrical engineering and computer science have breadth to their field of study, yet their focus is also somewhat narrow. A computer science major might pursue a concentration in a subject such as mobile computing, game development, cyber security or machine learning and artificial intelligence. However, the student would almost certainly work with computers, and might have a difficult time transitioning to another technology career. One benefit of electrical engineering is that it is a broader field of study than computer science. Students in electrical engineering programs take courses in computer engineering, but also in engineering the digital systems and electrical circuits found in other electrical equipment. Students of electrical engineering might go on to work with computers. They can also work on power generation systems, electric motors, navigation systems, communication systems and electronic equipment.

Keeping this in mind, it is ultimately down to you to decide what you want. Often you don't know if you'll enjoy something until you have experienced it. Try searching up some online mock lectures and see if you like any

First of all, thank you for the very well-explained answer.

I will definitely have a look at any mock lectures - Do you have any in mind for CS or EE?

Thank you again for your help :smile:
Original post by Parziva1
First of all, thank you for the very well-explained answer.

I will definitely have a look at any mock lectures - Do you have any in mind for CS or EE?

Thank you again for your help :smile:

You're welcome. No I don't haha but there are a lot of free courses out there too. Take a look at EdX and Future Learn
Reply 4
Original post by lege-lego
You're welcome. No I don't haha but there are a lot of free courses out there too. Take a look at EdX and Future Learn

Will do 👍👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending