The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni suddenly withdraw my offer

I was given an offer on monday through clearing on BA History which I accepted an added to my UCAS clearing.
I was emailed to say that it would be confirmed in 48hrs but I have just received an email stating that my offer has been Unsuccessful?withdrawn.

No other reason, just this. Can they do this?
I was under the impression that after I accepted then this would be a legally binding contract. The course is still open and I meet the requirements/grades for the course so how can this be done?
Original post by Suttoner72
I was given an offer on monday through clearing on BA History which I accepted an added to my UCAS clearing.
I was emailed to say that it would be confirmed in 48hrs but I have just received an email stating that my offer has been Unsuccessful?withdrawn.

No other reason, just this. Can they do this?
I was under the impression that after I accepted then this would be a legally binding contract. The course is still open and I meet the requirements/grades for the course so how can this be done?

This sounds weird. You should ring them to find out the reason for withdrawing the offer.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
@PQ Is this allowed?
--
@Suttoner72 do you have the correct GCSEs & A-levels etc. they requested? Just checking this isnt the reason.
Reply 3
It looks like UCAS haven't updated the results. They're still working on the assumption of the grades before the government u-turn.

Not sure if the previous offer will be re-instated after the results are upgraded or I will have to make a new application. The new grades adequately cover the entry requirements for the cause.
It looks like UCAS haven't updated the results. They're still working on the assumption of the grades before the government u-turn.

Not sure if the previous offer will be re-instated after the results are upgraded or I will have to make a new application. The new grades adequately cover the entry requirements for the cause.

UCAS is hoping to get these grades to unis by Friday, so hopefully they'll have them by then and can re-instate your offer. Do you have a written agreement anywhere for the offer with the grades?

Keep a hold of that if you do, and regardless email them saying that you will fulfill this offer with your CAG's, which will be with them by Friday.
Reply 5
I received an email with the original offer that I then accepted and added into my UCAS clearing.
I'll keep this and email the uni.
I received an email with the original offer that I then accepted and added into my UCAS clearing.
I'll keep this and email the uni.

This is allowed but it will generally only be done if something in the UCAS application contradicts the information given over the phone or if an applicant adds the choice on Track after their deadline.

If those don’t apply to you then it’s highly likely that there’s been some muddle of confusion mapping your UCAS application to your clearing offer.

Ring them tomorrow. Take names and job titles and keep asking to speak to someone more senior until you get a good answer.
I am in a similar situation.
I received an offer which was even mentioned on the university's application portal but not on UCAS Track (probably because this was some days before results day and hadn't been updated). So, I contacted the university to accept my offer but then they withdrew it because I haven't made an IELTS exam as I was taking A-Levels this year (after receiving a foreign secondary diploma) and thought that this was therefore not necessary.

The uni told me that they may require this from candidates who are not English native speakers which I would understand but what I don't get is that I applied in June and they only started to talk about the IELTS after I already received my now withdrawn offer.
I asked them if they would accept the English grade in the diploma which I already have because it is only very closely below of the mark they accept as equivalent to their IELTS score requirements but I haven't received an answer yet.

It would not be such a problem for me (even though I think that it's very expensive) to simply take an IELTS now but I would have to wait days before the next date, then wait for my results and afterwards I would have to be very lucky because this university would still have to have places in September which might not be that likely as it is well ranked and has a good reputation for my subject...

Is there anything I could do? I am frightened that I would now be going to pay a lot of money to take the IELTS only to wait until September when I might not get a place at university anymore.
This would be very bad for me given that I already took a gap year and got my diploma quite late because of a school transfer. So, it would not be an option to reapply for next year and I haven't found other universities in Clearing which really attract me.
Everyone makes faults but I believe that it would be unfair if I would now not be able to join the university only because of an error of one of them on which I could not have had any influence while I still would be the only one who has to suffer from its consequences.
Reply 9
And to top it all off, they've now closed clearing completely. Says they 'may' open it up again next week.

So thanks for that Nottingham and UCAS, I've gone from having a place on a course to having absolutely nothing.
And to top it all off, they've now closed clearing completely. Says they 'may' open it up again next week.

So thanks for that Nottingham and UCAS, I've gone from having a place on a course to having absolutely nothing.

I suspect this is due to reversal of CAG grades, they now have many more successful applicants to find places for, that they didnt have on results day.

I would assume most uni's ask for confirmed grades which when you applied the CAGs weren't officially confirmed by the exam board yet, they only saw your pre-CAG grades.

Its unfortunate, Id still email informing them you met the conditions, no harm in trying.
(edited 3 years ago)

I get that they might have many applications but still, they could care more for applicants, even more if they already sent them offers.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
I get that they might have many applications but still, they could care more for applicants, even more if they already sent them offers.

Thank you for the support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending