The Student Room Group

GCSE results for Oxbridge

Hey guys, is 8 9s and 2 8s good enough to apply for oxbridge?
thanks!

Scroll to see replies

that is more than good enough. go for it. good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
that is more than good enough. go for it. good luck!

thank you!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mow mowmow
thanks!

Go on the Oxford website and look at subject entry requirements for you want to do But yes well done.
Reply 4
thanks!

THATS BRILL!!!! Did u go to a private school or high performing state school?
Attachment not found
Reply 6
Original post by ZedTV
THATS BRILL!!!! Did u go to a private school or high performing state school?

high performing state school- i got niced, i know:s-smilie:
Reply 7
Attachment not found

care to show your name? i was only asking because there have been times where people have got all 9s and still didnt get into oxbridge...
thanks!

those are good enough, but A levels matter way more. good luck
Reply 9
Original post by perplexed turtle
those are good enough, but A levels matter way more. good luck

thank you- yes, i am going to work ridiculously hard for A level
care to show your name? i was only asking because there have been times where people have got all 9s and still didnt get into oxbridge...

And there have been times where people have got in with much less, Cambridge don't even care. Check your facts.

GCSEs (and sometimes A level grades lol) don’t really matter much when applying for uni as much as your passion for the subject and wider knowledge/reading and potential. It seems unfair sometimes when people who didn’t get amazing grades get in whereas people w straight a stars don’t but it’s ultimately about how well suited you are to the oxbridge course and teaching methods
Reply 12
And there have been times where people have got in with much less, Cambridge don't even care. Check your facts.

plz dont be rude about it let's support each other in this difficult time :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Scotney
Go on the Oxford website and look at subject entry requirements for you want to do But yes well done.

thank you. i had a look but it said a high proportion of 9-7s, but ive seen people with all 9s not get in. and especially after everyone is getting their grades increased this year, im not sure if it is worth it:confused:
Reply 14

i didnt know that, thanks for telling me!
Reply 15
Original post by aurora1025
GCSEs (and sometimes A level grades lol) don’t really matter much when applying for uni as much as your passion for the subject and wider knowledge/reading and potential. It seems unfair sometimes when people who didn’t get amazing grades get in whereas people w straight a stars don’t but it’s ultimately about how well suited you are to the oxbridge course and teaching methods

ohhh that makes sense. thank you for clarifying!
Obviously they're good enough - the universities values 9s and 8s the same. As such, you effectively got the highest grades possible. If they arent good enough, what are?

thank you. i had a look but it said a high proportion of 9-7s, but ive seen people with all 9s not get in. and especially after everyone is getting their grades increased this year, im not sure if it is worth it:confused:

I don't really understand your logic here. People with all 9s being rejected just shows that GCSEs arent that important.

People often say a levels are more important - but it's not really true, or at least not completely. Anyway it depends which subject and university you wish to apply to. It's hard to give an answer which applies to all of "Oxbridge".
Reply 17
Obviously they're good enough - the universities values 9s and 8s the same. As such, you effectively got the highest grades possible. If they arent good enough, what are?

I don't really understand your logic here. People with all 9s being rejected just shows that GCSEs arent that important.

People often say a levels are more important - but it's not really true, or at least not completely. Anyway it depends which subject and university you wish to apply to. It's hard to give an answer which applies to all of "Oxbridge".

9s and 8s are equal?
9s and 8s are equal?

Yes in terms of what used to be A* 9s and 8s are both that level.

Only if you can work-out the answer for yourself :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest