The Student Room Group

Confused about A-level options

I know i want to do either law or english at uni but im not sure if my subject combination is strong enough to get into a top (oxbridge/rg) uni

Im doing english lit, sociology and picked classical civilisation but im wondering if these are strong choices as i only have one facilitating subject (i was going to do history but i got very low in gcse)

Does anyone know what to do??
Hi there just chose the subject combo that you feel comfortable with and one that you are more familiar with.
I'd be comfortable doing these three but im a bit concerned they'd look weak in comparison to people who have studied 2+ facilitating subjects
If you decide to go for English that combination is ok but for law I think they are too weak as you are suggesting
Reply 4
Facilitating subjects aren't a thing anymore, and they were never a requirement in that sense anyway. A friend of mine just got into a RG uni for Law with 0 "facilitating" A-Level subjects.
You'd be able to meet the subject requirements for most, if not all, English and Law degrees with those subjects, provided your grades are up to par. You're far better off with a good grade in Sociology or CC than a rubbish grade in History anyway.
Original post by nzy
Facilitating subjects aren't a thing anymore, and they were never a requirement in that sense anyway. A friend of mine just got into a RG uni for Law with 0 "facilitating" A-Level subjects.
You'd be able to meet the subject requirements for most, if not all, English and Law degrees with those subjects, provided your grades are up to par. You're far better off with a good grade in Sociology or CC than a rubbish grade in History anyway.

I know if i did history i would get a top grade, its just that i dont want unis to look at the fact i only got a 7 in gcse or my teachers to underpredict me after seeing my gcse result.

Do you think it would be better to do history or maths instead of classics?
Original post by Whatsoverthere
I know if i did history i would get a top grade, its just that i dont want unis to look at the fact i only got a 7 in gcse or my teachers to underpredict me after seeing my gcse result.

Do you think it would be better to do history or maths instead of classics?

wait is a 7 your “low grade” in history??
Original post by bubblecat
wait is a 7 your “low grade” in history??

Yh but its lower than i expected (got a 9 in the mock and have been getting 80%+ in all the assessments) and one of the lowest of my results

I got told that unis would look at my gcse result for history and not make me an offer as they wouldnt expect me to get a/a* plus teachers predicting grades for uni would underpredict
Yh but its lower than i expected (got a 9 in the mock and have been getting 80%+ in all the assessments) and one of the lowest of my results

I got told that unis would look at my gcse result for history and not make me an offer as they wouldnt expect me to get a/a* plus teachers predicting grades for uni would underpredict

7 is equivalent to an A isnt it?? thats a great gcse grade! you could definitely do a level history if you wanted. a 7 at gcse will not impact what offers/predictions you get.
Original post by bubblecat
7 is equivalent to an A isnt it?? thats a great gcse grade! you could definitely do a level history if you wanted. a 7 at gcse will not impact what offers/predictions you get.

I thought unis/a-level teachers also look at what grade you got for gcse in that subject? So would they not be looking at my history gcse grade specifically??
I would say take history over classical civilisation. A 7 is a very good grade at GCSE and unis don't really look at them when compared to your A-levels. English literature, history and sociology will make a fine mix for your two uni subjects.
I thought unis/a-level teachers also look at what grade you got for gcse in that subject? So would they not be looking at my history gcse grade specifically??

not necessarily. unis care more about your predicted a level grades (unless you’re applying somewhere like oxford) and teachers will go off class work/mocks. also, a 7 is a GREAT grade so i dont understand. if they looked at your 7 they’ll see you’re more than capable.

Quick Reply

Latest