The Student Room Group

Failed one module. Repeat whole year?

Failed one module. Do I have to repeat the whole year? I am retaking it again but not sure if I have to do the whole year again when I passed the other modules. It says I can progress but with retake. What does this mean?
Original post by ILoveSunsets
Failed one module. Do I have to repeat the whole year? I am retaking it again but not sure if I have to do the whole year again when I passed the other modules. It says I can progress but with retake. What does this mean?

Your university will explain. Normally failing an exam means a resit for that exam only.
Failing it for the second time normally means withdrawal or a retake.
Your uni rules and department or registry will explain whether they require just the exam (resit) a retake ( all lectures and coursework) and whether its just that module or you can proceed to the next year.

Best to contact the course tutor. Usually you cannot proceed to year 2 until all year 1 modules are passed.

Normally you can do a summer resit (but Its probably too late now).

It depends if its an essential module, sometimes unis can condone a failed module, other times you are required to the module to take modules in the following years.

Email your tutor or course director to find out.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Your university will explain. Normally failing an exam means a resit for that exam only.
Failing it for the second time normally means withdrawal or a retake.
Your uni rules and department or registry will explain whether they require just the exam (resit) a retake ( all lectures and coursework) and whether its just that module or you can proceed to the next year.

just curious which University would withdraw you if 1 module failed a second time? It would be extremely bad, considering the amount of tuition fees and time spent; getting kick out because of 1 module
Original post by nox9281
just curious which University would withdraw you if 1 module failed a second time? It would be extremely bad, considering the amount of tuition fees and time spent; getting kick out because of 1 module

I dont believe Oxbridge are too kind plus have answered several threads with others in this situation. People are not expected to fail and you shouldnt be doing resits. Nursing courses can be strict as well.
Original post by nox9281

They did say last year I can carry my failed module to my last year as it's only one course. I had to defer a year because of health issues and enrolled back and they told me to repeat a year? Makes no sense. I'm sure they made a mistake. I passed all of year 2 except 1 module. I really want to finish my last year of uni.
Reply 7
They did say last year I can carry my failed module to my last year as it's only one course. I had to defer a year because of health issues and enrolled back and they told me to repeat a year? Makes no sense. I'm sure they made a mistake. I passed all of year 2 except 1 module. I really want to finish my last year of uni.

so you can't progress onto year 3 and have to repeat the whole year 2 including the modules that you have already passed?
Original post by nox9281
so you can't progress onto year 3 and have to repeat the whole year 2 including the modules that you have already passed?

That's the thing I'm not sure on. I'm still speaking to my uni. Last year they said I can carry my one failed module to my final year and then I deferred for a year. Now I went back to enrol and they tell me to repeat year 2 when they told me last year I can carry on my final year. Makes no sense. I don't even know if I can get tuition fee for whole of year 2 and it's not fair if I've already passed all of year 2 and failed because of ONE module?
They did tell me that last year. I was about to do that until I deferred for health. I'm going back this year and now they changed their minds? They said I can progress to level 6 WITH retake.
Reply 10
That's the thing I'm not sure on. I'm still speaking to my uni. Last year they said I can carry my one failed module to my final year and then I deferred for a year. Now I went back to enrol and they tell me to repeat year 2 when they told me last year I can carry on my final year. Makes no sense. I don't even know if I can get tuition fee for whole of year 2 and it's not fair if I've already passed all of year 2 and failed because of ONE module?

Repeating year 2 isn't worth it because you will have to resit one module part-time and it take up a whole year. Tuition fees will be lower and student finance allow 1 extra year cover. I am guessing the module is a core meaning you needed to pass it in order to progress onto year 3, it's worth emailing course leader and personal tutor for that but they are most likely busy or on leave till September.
Original post by nox9281
Repeating year 2 isn't worth it because you will have to resit one module part-time and it take up a whole year. Tuition fees will be lower and student finance allow 1 extra year cover. I am guessing the module is a core meaning you needed to pass it in order to progress onto year 3, it's worth emailing course leader and personal tutor for that but they are most likely busy or on leave till September.

I'm currently talking to my course leader and she will get back to me. Its a waste if I have to do year 2 again because I failed one module. I can carry it onto my final year hopefully.
I'm currently talking to my course leader and she will get back to me. Its a waste if I have to do year 2 again because I failed one module. I can carry it onto my final year hopefully.

I think you will do that one module in year 3
Original post by Starlight15
I think you will do that one module in year 3

Hi everyone I forgot to update but they got it wrong but they fixed it. I'm still going into my final year this year and I'm carrying the module over to my last year

Quick Reply

Latest