The Student Room Group

What are the entry requirements for applying at Central Saint Martins?

So I was looking at the entry requirements for the undergraduate fashion design course offered at Central Saint Martins, and this bullet point that said;
''Access to Higher Education Diploma equivalent to 64 UCAS tariff points (preferred subjects include Art, Art and Design or Design and Technology)''
confuses me. Can anyone explain to me what do you need to enrol at CSM?
Is it that they prefer candidates to have done Art/ Art & Design / DT a-levels?

can anyone explain this to me >w<, please.
That is just one of the qualifications that they will accept. If you read the full list of entry requirements it tells you what they’re looking for.
If it states preferred subjects then yes, they’re looking for people who have studied these but it doesn’t exclude those that haven’t.
Reply 2
Thanks for the fast reply, to be totally honest I don't really know what those entry requirements mean... quite embarrassing to say so (// w //)
could you please clear some doubts of mine if possible?
Here, I've copy-pasted the entry requirements;
"Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Level 3 or 4) and one A Level at grade C or above" - is this talking about a BTEC in art and design? can a-levels suffice? It says AND an a-level, (・・ ; ) ??
"Merit, Pass, Pass (MPP) at BTEC Extended Diploma (preferred subjects include Art, Art and Design or Design and Technology) Pass at UAL Extended Diploma" - same thing, can a-levels work as a replacement, or do they just want BTECs?
"Access to Higher Education Diploma equivalent to 64 UCAS tariff points (preferred subjects include Art, Art and Design or Design and Technology)" - if I'm right I think this refers to a university degree and yh... I don't have that (´-ω-`)
"Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Level 3 or 4) plus equivalent EU/International qualifications, such as International Baccalaureate Diploma" - ...

I might just be reading too much into it, hehe...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by T_D
So I was looking at the entry requirements for the undergraduate fashion design course offered at Central Saint Martins, and this bullet point that said;
''Access to Higher Education Diploma equivalent to 64 UCAS tariff points (preferred subjects include Art, Art and Design or Design and Technology)''
confuses me. Can anyone explain to me what do you need to enrol at CSM?
Is it that they prefer candidates to have done Art/ Art & Design / DT a-levels?

can anyone explain this to me >w<, please.

In order to apply you have to submit a portfolio of work depending on your subject but most fashion/art courses will need it, if you haven't done a alevel or btec in art then it'd be better if you apply for a foundation year first then go onto undergrad. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by chenlils
In order to apply you have to submit a portfolio of work depending on your subject but most fashion/art courses will need it, if you haven't done a alevel or btec in art then it'd be better if you apply for a foundation year first then go onto undergrad. Hope this helps :smile:

Alright thank you again, I’ll go through doing a foundation course and then do an undergrad course for f&d

I’m planing on doing these a-levels btw;
DT
Media
Maths
Business

My sixth form is more academically inclined and they’re not offering a-level art, so I’ll have to do some extracurricular art/design related stuff along with these, I think

But I’m also worried that with these a levels I won’t be able to build a strong and unique portfolio, maybe I will? But who knows.

What do you think?

If these a levels are considered too academic for a foundation course in art & design , I might as well just change sixth forms and do a more creative a level, right?
Reply 6
Original post by T_D
Alright thank you again, I’ll go through doing a foundation course and then do an undergrad course for f&d

I’m planing on doing these a-levels btw;
DT
Media
Maths
Business

My sixth form is more academically inclined and they’re not offering a-level art, so I’ll have to do some extracurricular art/design related stuff along with these, I think

But I’m also worried that with these a levels I won’t be able to build a strong and unique portfolio, maybe I will? But who knows.

What do you think?

If these a levels are considered too academic for a foundation course in art & design , I might as well just change sixth forms and do a more creative a level, right?

There's courses online to learn fashion and CSM and LCF offer short courses in the summer and winter holidays too so there's always options to build a portfolio.
Reply 7
Ah- I changed my options to;
Maths
Economics
Textiles
I hope this will do, now I’m sure I’ll take the route where after a levels I’ll do a foundation degree in art & design. And for that I’ll need to create a strong portfolio depicting my creative flow, right? Right. I can do that :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by T_D
Ah- I changed my options to; MathsEconomics Textiles I hope this will do, now I’m sure I’ll take the route where after a levels I’ll do a foundation degree in art

Your options should be fine, something to consider however is that many (if not most) applicants to creative arts courses do an art foundation course (a FAD course) after their A-levels (or equivalent qualifications if they don't do A-levels), before applying to full bachelors courses in arts areas. They are particularly useful as they give students an experience of studying creative subjects "full time" (as most will typically have done one or maybe two A-levels out of three at most), gives you time to develop your portfolio, and also allows you to explore in more depth many areas of the creative arts that aren't as well supported by the A-level curricula (particularly design subjects). The art foundation diploma course is not a "foundation degree", which is a separate unrelated qualification.

@PQ has made a very handy thread with a lot of information about FAD courses, including some course providers for those courses, details about fees and funding arrangements, and what they are (and aren't) here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 I highly recommend you have a read through, as there's a lot of good and very useful info there :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by chenlils
There's courses online to learn fashion and CSM and LCF offer short courses in the summer and winter holidays too so there's always options to build a portfolio.

Thanks I didn’t know that CSM/LCF offered online courses
Hey @T_D,

It looks like you've already been provided with lots of useful information by others on the forum but I just wanted to jump in and say if you have anymore specific questions about Central Saint Martins or studying a foundation then please do not hesitate to ask.

Like applying for a BA most art foundation courses look at your portfolio rather than what A levels you have studied. Your local college will probably offer an art foundation or you can come study your art foundation at UAL we offer two different art foundations which you can check out here and here.

Good luck with your decision making!

Kindest,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
Your options should be fine, something to consider however is that many (if not most) applicants to creative arts courses do an art foundation course (a FAD course) after their A-levels (or equivalent qualifications if they don't do A-levels), before applying to full bachelors courses in arts areas. They are particularly useful as they give students an experience of studying creative subjects "full time" (as most will typically have done one or maybe two A-levels out of three at most), gives you time to develop your portfolio, and also allows you to explore in more depth many areas of the creative arts that aren't as well supported by the A-level curricula (particularly design subjects). The art foundation diploma course is not a "foundation degree", which is a separate unrelated qualification.

@PQ has made a very handy thread with a lot of information about FAD courses, including some course providers for those courses, details about fees and funding arrangements, and what they are (and aren't) here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 I highly recommend you have a read through, as there's a lot of good and very useful info there :smile:

Thank you 😊
Reply 12
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @T_D,

It looks like you've already been provided with lots of useful information by others on the forum but I just wanted to jump in and say if you have anymore specific questions about Central Saint Martins or studying a foundation then please do not hesitate to ask.

Like applying for a BA most art foundation courses look at your portfolio rather than what A levels you have studied. Your local college will probably offer an art foundation or you can come study your art foundation at UAL we offer two different art foundations which you can check out here and here.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep

Hey, I've heard in rare occasions some people can get into central saint martins with a very strong portfolio with no foundation courses and art background even though they have to catch up a lot. I'm wondering if this is still possible ?
Original post by cei17
Hey, I've heard in rare occasions some people can get into central saint martins with a very strong portfolio with no foundation courses and art background even though they have to catch up a lot. I'm wondering if this is still possible ?

Hi @cei17,

Normally students will have developed their portfolios through taught courses like a foundation, however in very rare circumstances (where a student may not have the options to study creative courses as part of their normal curriculum) students may choose to take extra-curricular courses to support development of their portfolio such as short courses. It's also worth noting that not all courses require a portfolio so some students may not have an art background, but could have a background in another subject that would be appropriate.

If you are considering an application to a creative undergraduate degree course, we would advise you to take creative subjects like art and design, textiles, photography or media, and also to take any opportunities you can to develop your skills and experience. Applicants who are engaged in creative activities outside of their curriculum often have strong applications as they can show dedication and commitment to the subject they want to pursue.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment
Reply 14
Hey again, can I send my personal statement directly to the London College of Fashion UAL and if so what is the process? Because UCAS only allows one personal statement and my other 4 university choices are law based completely different to fashion.

Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi @cei17,

Normally students will have developed their portfolios through taught courses like a foundation, however in very rare circumstances (where a student may not have the options to study creative courses as part of their normal curriculum) students may choose to take extra-curricular courses to support development of their portfolio such as short courses. It's also worth noting that not all courses require a portfolio so some students may not have an art background, but could have a background in another subject that would be appropriate.

If you are considering an application to a creative undergraduate degree course, we would advise you to take creative subjects like art and design, textiles, photography or media, and also to take any opportunities you can to develop your skills and experience. Applicants who are engaged in creative activities outside of their curriculum often have strong applications as they can show dedication and commitment to the subject they want to pursue.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment
Reply 15
Can I send my personal statement directly to the London College of Fashion UAL and if so what is the process? Because UCAS only allows one personal statement and my other 4 university choices are law-based completely different from fashion.

Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hey @T_D,

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by cei17
Can I send my personal statement directly to the London College of Fashion UAL and if so what is the process? Because UCAS only allows one personal statement and my other 4 university choices are law-based completely different from fashion.

Hi @cei17,
Unfortunately you can't - the UCAS system means that the same personal statement will go to all the different unis that you're applying to. You will have to be creative to find a way to explain that you have two areas of interest and give some space to explain your interest in the course at LCF. Although it is not very common, students do sometimes apply to courses that are very different. If the course you are applying to offers you an interview, this will give you further opportunity to explain your interest in the course. I would also recommend you attend one of the online open days at LCF so you can ask them more directly about the course you're applying to and for further advice about your personal statement.

Best wishes,
Sian
Reply 17
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi @cei17,
Unfortunately you can't - the UCAS system means that the same personal statement will go to all the different unis that you're applying to. You will have to be creative to find a way to explain that you have two areas of interest and give some space to explain your interest in the course at LCF. Although it is not very common, students do sometimes apply to courses that are very different. If the course you are applying to offers you an interview, this will give you further opportunity to explain your interest in the course. I would also recommend you attend one of the online open days at LCF so you can ask them more directly about the course you're applying to and for further advice about your personal statement.

Best wishes,
Sian

Oh ok, but I called into LCF BA womenswear through the awarding bodies UAL contact team and she said I could send my personal statement through the email [email protected] with my UCAS application number and my name on it and she said she'll see all my details from there. I'll be calling back in to see what format they want it in e.g, word or pdf. So I'm really confused about what is not possible to do ??
Original post by cei17
Oh ok, but I called into LCF BA womenswear through the awarding bodies UAL contact team and she said I could send my personal statement through the email [email protected] with my UCAS application number and my name on it and she said she'll see all my details from there. I'll be calling back in to see what format they want it in e.g, word or pdf. So I'm really confused about what is not possible to do ??

Hi @cei17,

Many thanks for your reply, I have reached out to the team you mentioned directly and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Many thanks,
Matthew
Reply 19
That's fine, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest