The Student Room Group

2021 Chemical Engineering applicants

Thought I'd open a discussion for anyone looking to start undergrad Chemical Engineering in 2021 since I haven't seen any.

What are your A-Level predicted grades, BEng or MEng and which Universities do you plan on applying to?
Original post by briteeshbro
Thought I'd open a discussion for anyone looking to start undergrad Chemical Engineering in 2021 since I haven't seen any.

What are your A-Level predicted grades, BEng or MEng and which Universities do you plan on applying to?

Hi, at my first college I studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology in yr 12. I ended up dropping psychology mid-year and had no passion for biology. I completed the year but didn’t get good grades (BCU) and chose to restart year twelve at a different college with maths, economics and chemistry instead. How does restarting yr 12 affect my university applications, to oxbridge and imperial for example? And is it the same as resitting A-levels although I’m not resitting any exams as they are all linear? This year (12) I gained AAC for my end of years, and I plan to apply to Cambridge for chemical engineering. Am I at a disadvantage because I restarted yr 12 at a different college?
Original post by LoveEmerald
Hi, at my first college I studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology in yr 12. I ended up dropping psychology mid-year and had no passion for biology. I completed the year but didn’t get good grades (BCU) and chose to restart year twelve at a different college with maths, economics and chemistry instead. How does restarting yr 12 affect my university applications, to oxbridge and imperial for example? And is it the same as resitting A-levels although I’m not resitting any exams as they are all linear? This year (12) I gained AAC for my end of years, and I plan to apply to Cambridge for chemical engineering. Am I at a disadvantage because I restarted yr 12 at a different college?

I'm not going to lie that confused me a bit but I'll try to answer it. Cambridge is more concerned about the fact that you're doing the courses consecutively. The reason behind this is it says you can handle a certain workload at the same time since their courses are academically challenging and you'll need a high work ethic. As long as you were doing 3 A-levels in all your years at college, I don't think this would hinder you. However, it's worth noting that the entry requirements for Cambridge are A*A*A. It is also recommended that you take A/AS level Further Maths. Furthermore, I think you should check on the website if they accept Economics as opposed to another Science.
I’m predicted to get 4A’s in physics, maths, chemistry and mathematics of mechanics at advanced higher (4A*) A level equivalent. I’ll be applying to Meng with industrial experience or with nuclear engineering. I’ve shortlisted 7 uni’s but I’ll soon pick 5 from them and they are: Manchester, Birmingham, Imperial, Sheffield, Strathclyde, Heriot watt and Cambridge
Original post by IbeIC123
I’m predicted to get 4A’s in physics, maths, chemistry and mathematics of mechanics at advanced higher (4A*) A level equivalent. I’ll be applying to Meng with industrial experience or with nuclear engineering. I’ve shortlisted 7 uni’s but I’ll soon pick 5 from them and they are: Manchester, Birmingham, Imperial, Sheffield, Strathclyde, Heriot watt and Cambridge

any advice for how to revise for chem
I'm a gap year student and so I have actual grades of A*A*A*a in physics, chemistry, maths and AS further maths and I will be sitting further maths this year. I will reapply to Cambridge and then probably Imperial, Birmingham, Bath and a random one.
Original post by Sakiudns

Go through a lot of past papers idk the a level course but I also think it’s good to memorise all the different reactions and mechanisms when it comes to organic synthesis
Hey,
I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths, I haven't got set in stone predicted grades yet as my Y12 mocks are on September 14th, I want to do MEng, and I'm planning on applying to Cambridge (via natsci) and Loughborough, I'm not sure on the others yet but I'm thinking of Bath, Nottingham and also Exeter for Renewable Energy Engineering- but I have a strong preference for Cambridge and Loughborough- so I'm hoping I can get into one of those. :smile:
Original post by Sakiudns

exam-style questions are a sure-fire method for any subject.
Original post by leigh2911
Hey,
I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths, I haven't got set in stone predicted grades yet as my Y12 mocks are on September 14th, I want to do MEng, and I'm planning on applying to Cambridge (via natsci) and Loughborough, I'm not sure on the others yet but I'm thinking of Bath, Nottingham and also Exeter for Renewable Energy Engineering- but I have a strong preference for Cambridge and Loughborough- so I'm hoping I can get into one of those. :smile:

I'm going through the same thing with my predicted grades.
It's so annoying because I need my predicted grades to decide what Unis to apply to and I'm only going to get them like 15 days before the Cambridge deadline.
Original post by avacados1
I'm a gap year student and so I have actual grades of A*A*A*a in physics, chemistry, maths and AS further maths and I will be sitting further maths this year. I will reapply to Cambridge and then probably Imperial, Birmingham, Bath and a random one.

What informed your decision to take a gap year?
Original post by briteeshbro
What informed your decision to take a gap year?

I was always going to take one because of student finance issues so I applied deferred last year.

Quick Reply

Latest