The Student Room Group

The Current Year 11 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

The Current Year 11 Thread Mark l (2020-2021)

Hi, and welcome to the Year 11 thread! We've made it this far, and we are unlikely to be a Year 11 class like any other. This thread is for you all to connect with fellow Year 11s, share resources, discuss revision, and more.

Especially with the uncertainty of what's going on this year with COVID-19, the important thing is, we're in this boat together, so this is the place to post that question you were too afraid to ask, or to vent at when something is getting you down, and maybe have some fun along the way!

Notices: If you have anything to share, PM me, @saffron <3 , and I can add it here for you!

Confirmed changes to 2021 GCSE Examinations:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...levels-in-2021

Icebreakers

Some of us may know each other from last years forum, but with a new year, there will be a new influx of TSR members, so it's time to introduce yourselves and meet some new friends!

- Introduce yourself (your name, a bit about you, pronouns, etc)
- What subjects are you taking this year? (be sure to include exam board)
- What are your favourite/least favourite subjects?
- What are your current predicted grades?
- What grades are you aiming to get this year? (if different from predicteds)
- What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
- What are you thinking of taking for A Level/studying/working on post-16?
- How are you feeling about starting Year 11?
- and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)

That's it! We can do this. Year 11 is going to be our year!

Let's hit your target grades this year, Class of 2021! :congrats:

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quoting all the people that posted in the year 10 thread last year! (re)-introduce yourselves and get to know each other before term officially starts :grouphugs: Good luck for year 11!

Spoiler

I think I should kick this thread off with my introduction and icebreakers!

- My name is Saffron (she/her)
- I'm taking three exams in the November exam series, which are Citizenship, Psychology and Sociology (I was due to take them this year, but as they were self taught, my centre could not give me a CAG), then I'm taking Triple Science, DT, French & History in the summer. I also took Computer Science in Year 9, and attained an 8. All AQA! (If you need any help with any of these subjects, especially CompSci and those I'm taking in November, I'm more than happy to provide it!
- I can't say I'm one for favourite and least favourite subjects, I enjoy studying Law extracurricularly and I'd say that's my true passion and the subject I enjoy most.
- My current predicted grades range from 7-9! Seven 9s, five 8s and a 7.
- I would LOVE to get all 8/9 grades, majority 9s would be lovely.
- In the future, I aspire to study Law at either Oxford or in London. I am working towards a career as a corporate solicitor in an international firm based in London, but I also have an interest in medical negligence law, so we'll see where it takes me once I'm able to study the subject in more depth!
- I'm honestly a little stuck on what I might like to do for A Level, but I'm thinking of Sociology, which is pretty much definite, along with other options I'm not so sure on and will have to see what my school offers next year (it's pretty small so changes a lot depending on cohort)!
- I'm a little apprehensive about starting Year 11. It's dawned on me just how short of a time it is until our actual exams. It's going to be quite a busy year and I'm a little nervous about how my November exams may interfere with mocks/other school work. I haven't been revising over the summer, and I know of many people who have been so that's certainly put me on edge! As well as the academic challenges, I am nervous about the return to school with COVID-19, as who knows what will happen and whether our exams might possibly reach the same fate that they have this year. If you're worried about going back, rest assured, you aren't alone! Feel free to reach out to me anytime.

I think that's everything! We can do this, Class of 2021!
(edited 2 years ago)
- Introduce yourself (your name, a bit about you, pronouns, etc)
Firdous
crackhead
combind science- AQA
MATHS-EDEXEL
ENGLIS LANGUAGE-EDUQAS
RS-EDEXEL
URDU-AQA
IMEDIA-OCR

MATHS AND ENGLISH I HATE
I LOVE SCIENCE UT THE TEACHER MAKES IT UNBEARABLE
ALL 5
BUT IN URDU AND RS ITS A 6
8 AND 9
- What do you want to do as a career In the future? What are your dreams, your aspirations, your goals?
ARTITECHT- ACCTUALLY I CHANGED MY MIND I WANT TO BE PSYCHOLOGIST.
BIOLOGY
GRAPHICS DESIGN
OR SMT ELSE
I AM NOT REALLY SURE YET
CHANGED MY MIND AGAIN
PSYCHOLOGY
SOCIOLOGY
HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE
NERVOUS
STARTED AND HATE IT
- and now, anything about you! (fun facts, hobbies, or anything else you want to share!)

I LIKE BTS
I LOVE TSR
I AM A CRACKHEAD MOST THE TIME SO MOST THE THINGS I SAY DO NOT MAKE SENSE
(edited 3 years ago)
Ooo it's actually here, we're in Year 11 now :hide: get ready for the rollercoaster.

Helloo :hi: I'm Roses & Dreams, female and a master procrastinator. Pleasure to meet you.

My GCSE options

Spoiler

Favourite/least favourite subjects

Spoiler

Typical me can't remember their predicted grades woopsie :blushing:

Grades I am aiming for: hopefully for 7s and above, I know that may not happen but I'll try my best :biggrin:. Whatever happens, it will be okay.

Aspirations

Spoiler

A levels

Spoiler

How am I feeling about starting Year 11?

Spoiler

About me

Spoiler

That wasn't a great introduction, but it shall suffice. Good luck fellow Year 11s, we can do this! :rave:
Good luck year 11s! :woo:
Reply 6
- I'm Flo (she/her)

- This year I'm taking:

Maths (Edexcel) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
English Lit (AQA) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
Biology (AQA) - predicted 8/ aiming for 8
Chemistry (AQA) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
Physics (AQA) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
Geography (AQA) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
French (Edexcel) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
Art and Design - Textiles (AQA) predicted 5/ aiming for 7
Dance (AQA) - predicted 6/ aiming for 7
Citizenship (AQA, hopefully taking in November as I was entered last year but never did any assessments and got a 5 as my CAG :frown: ) - no predicted grade but I'm aiming for a 7 or higher.

- I was also entered for statistics (Edexcel) last year, and got a 9, and English language (AQA), and got an 8.

- My favourite subjects are maths and physics

- I'm really unsure about what I want to do career wise, but I definitely want to go to uni to do something in the sciences, at the moment I think physics.

- For A levels, I'm planning on maths, further maths, physics and French at the moment.

- I'm actually kind of excited to start year 11, definitely looking forward to going back to school properly in a couple of weeks. But also nervous as quite a few people in my classes didn't do a lot during lockdown, and I think there will be more emphasis on them than the people who did do the work when we go back.

- About me: I do dance (freestyle and hoop dance) out of school and actually recently got crowned world hoop champion in my age category!

I think that's everything for now, good luck year 11!
oh gosh we really are in y11 😳

~name~ karolina (she/her)
~info~ dancer, polish, i love learning languages/about countries etc therefore love travelling but am a bit broke atm and have no time to learn or explore :frown:, faint at the sight of blood, anything drama/suspense eg movies and books i like, i have an abnormal fear of participating in lessons, a cat person
~gcse subjects~
- maths (either AQA or EDEXCEL tbh i can never remember for this one lool)
- english lit and lang (EDEXCEL)
- combined science (AQA)
- polish (AQA)
- history (EDEXCEL)
- classical civilisation (OCR)
- re (AQA)
- was meant to do AS RE but because that was my third subject my school got rid of it because we were meant to start our third subjects in may but it probably would’ve been AQA)
- spanish , did the gcse this year and got a 9! (AQA)
~fav subjects~ was spanish when i did it but now it might be classics or history(only nazi germany though we just started it ahah)
~least fav~ gotta be english language:frown: , re might be my weakest though ugh
~current predictions~ apparently they’re 8s and 9s but idk which subject is predicted which
~aimed grades~ at least 7s because i need at least 5 of those to get into the sixth form i’m currently interested in going to
~future career~ my parents want me going into law, don’t get me wrong i do like the aspects of it but don’t really have plans to be a lawyer. kinda wanna do theatre work or a psychologist/sociologist. wanna continue a bit with dance though so time will tell. i just wanna be a good role model tbh
~a level subjects~
- history or classics (a bit more lenient towards history though but depends which content i prefer for my choice of sixth form)
- psychology or sociology (again depends on sixth form and what it offers)
- drama
~feelings about y11~ tbh idk how to feel. it’s a bit overwhelming but at the same time a relief to finally be getting slowly back to normal and seeing people i’ve missed again. glad to learn again but haven’t done my work from before summer and the summer hw so a bit stressful considering this. exams are creeping up on us and only now beginning to feel a bit scared but at the same time we can’t stop the time only start using it wisely, i ready for the busy life but at the same time not - mainly because i’m so bored but also it might be a big shock factor to us to be back in the environment again so quickly but nonetheless how all goes well this year and works out in our favour. as emily said, feel free to reach out to me too, we’re all in this together!

hope you all have a great year despite everything going on right now and wishing you all the very best x hope the class of 2021 is gonna be full of success and pride by the end of this school year!
Reply 8
I’m SZH

English literature- AQA
English language- AQA
Maths- OCR
Sciences- AQA
Geography- AQA
Business- AQA
Computer science- AQA
[ltr](I have done 2 language gcses earlier and got A and A*. I was given my predicted grade for religious studies for this year and I got 8 (A*)[/ltr]

I like maths and computer science a lot
I don’t like English And not a big fan of sciences

I haven’t received any predicted grades yet

Edit: got six 9s, two 8s and one 7

Hoping for 8/9s

I want to take computer science forward in my education, hopefully

For alevels, I’m planning to take maths, computer science, I haven’t decided on the third and further maths (if get a good maths predicted grade)

Edit: I’ve applied for mainly maths CS further and economics/business. Depending on the college.

I feel like this year will be much harder due to the strict rules of COVID-19 but I’m hoping to try my best. It’s going to be so weird to meet everyone and I’m nervous for the stress and exams.

I am a nerd. I basically have no social life, my education is the most important at this point, for me. Although at some point I enjoyed art and crafts but don’t have time these days (I do find python programming very entertaining- doing a few courses on it).

Edit: Fun fact- I was part of the Taekwondo club in my school for 2 years. Did it for an hour a week for 2 years. Started with a white belt. Then got a yellow tag belt then a yellow belt. Was almost there for a green tag one but I couldn’t continue the lessons.

Good luck to everyone. We’re in this together (let’s lower the grade boundaries :smile:)

Ps. I’m currently doing the Computer science (AQA) 20 hours NEA project. So if anyone needs any help, or wants to discuss it please let me know as I’m almost done and will probably be able to help you out :h:
(Edit: I’ve completed it now but found out that the exam board has completely scrapped it 😭)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I'm Mel!

I'm studying English Language, Triple Science and French (AQA) as well as Maths, Further Maths, GCSE Physical Education and History (Edexcel) and a Cambridge National in Business (known as Enterprise and Marketing officially).

My predicted Grades are mostly 8s, with a few 9s also. I already have grades in Statistics and English Lit (9 and 8 respectively) as I ordinarily would have taken these in the summer of year 10.

My favourite subjects are PE in both the theory and practical sides of this. I also enjoy biology and maths more so than most other subjects. My least favourites include physics and english, however I wouldn’t say I hate any particular subject.

A levels wise - Biology, maths and P.E definitely (the latter meaning it is highly unlikely I’ll stay on at my current school for sixth form as they only offer BTECs in sport - not my cup of tea) but I could potentially take further maths or stick to 3 with and EPQ perhaps.

In the future, I hope to continue studying Sport science to degree level, as I have a keen interest in this as someone who trains regularly and plays football, before potentially joining the Army as an Officer :smile:.

During lockdown I have been researching Universities in fair detail, and my current shortlist includes: University of Nottingham (my first choice atm), University of Birmingham and Loughborough University. I know it’s a little bit early to be thinking about this but I guess there’s no harm in getting ahead, plus I was SO bored at points during lockdown.

It’s quite likely that I will apply for the army’s scholarship scheme in the autumn of year 12, although this is highly competitive I like to think my leadership qualities and academic achievements would put me in good stead.

Hope we don’t get mucked about this year and that year 11 turns out to be the best one yet for all of us!
(edited 3 years ago)
💕Class of 2021💕
Hi everyone! :smile:

So I'm aaa24 (she/her) and this year I'm taking: (subjects)

Spoiler

What are your current predicted grades?

Haven't been given them formally- but based on recent assessments 7-9s

What grades are you aiming to get this year?
Ideally 8 and above :biggrin:

Future aspirations?
At the moment I want to be a doctor! (if not biomed or neuroscience maybe..)

A levels?
ahhh biology, maths, chemistry and maybe a 4th? (physics?) (further maths?) (english?) Epq? I'm really not sure yet!!!!

How are you feeling about starting Year 11?
Realistically - stressed + worried mainly :s-smilie: {my school is competitive and everyone will be aiming for 9s soooo....that will be fun:frown:}
What I tell my teachers - I'm so excited for a year of learning! (when we don't even know what's happening and are super uncertain about our exams this year...... and probably quite behind on content and had to teach ourselves half of it during quarantine....oops):rolleyes:

About me? :fluffy:
I love Greys anatomy(or any medical dramas tbh), am quite an introvert I think since I enjoyed online learning to begin with..... I like to play tennis (not v good more for fun!), I like to sketch+paint and bake, and my identity as one could say is based on exams and revision at this point... :cool:

Anyways I hope this year goes well for all of us :flower2: Good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
hiya everyone! :hi:
i’m ella, or nutella (she/her) you can call me either i don’t mind :woo:

my gcse options!

Spoiler

favourites & least favourites!

Spoiler

future aspirations!

Spoiler

sixth form stuff!

Spoiler

how am i feeling?

Spoiler

about me!

Spoiler

Hey,
I'm Emily (she/her)

This year I'm taking: (subjects)
Maths (Edexcel)
Combined Science Trilogy (AQA)
English lit/lang (AQA)
L2 BTEC in Digital Media (Pearson)

My Favourite subject is Media and my least favourite is science.

What are your current predicted grades?
Maths (9)
Combined Science Trilogy (8/8)
English lit/lang (6/6)
L2 BTEC in Digital Media (Distinction*)

What grades are you aiming to get this year?
All 6's and above

Future aspirations?
I have no clue at all! But would love to do something in Digital Media
6th Form/College?
I would like to do a L3 Extended Diploma in Digital Media.

How are you feeling about starting Year 11?
Scared and anxious!

About me?
I ave Autism/Anxiety and have an EHCP. I struggle with social skills (hence why I joined here, to give me some social interaction!). I love music and digital design. I have a dog called Bailey who is my best friend!

Good luck to all this year, and hopefully we can support each other!
Original post by Flobro
- I'm Flo (she/her)

- This year I'm taking:

Maths (Edexcel) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
English Lit (AQA) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
Biology (AQA) - predicted 8/ aiming for 8
Chemistry (AQA) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
Physics (AQA) - predicted 9/ aiming for 9
Geography (AQA) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
French (Edexcel) - predicted 7/ aiming for 8
Art and Design - Textiles (AQA) predicted 5/ aiming for 7
Dance (AQA) - predicted 6/ aiming for 7
Citizenship (AQA, hopefully taking in November as I was entered last year but never did any assessments and got a 5 as my CAG :frown: ) - no predicted grade but I'm aiming for a 7 or higher.

- I was also entered for statistics (Edexcel) last year, and got a 9, and English language (AQA), and got an 8.

- My favourite subjects are maths and physics

- I'm really unsure about what I want to do career wise, but I definitely want to go to uni to do something in the sciences, at the moment I think physics.

- For A levels, I'm planning on maths, further maths, physics and French at the moment.

- I'm actually kind of excited to start year 11, definitely looking forward to going back to school properly in a couple of weeks. But also nervous as quite a few people in my classes didn't do a lot during lockdown, and I think there will be more emphasis on them than the people who did do the work when we go back.

- About me: I do dance (freestyle and hoop dance) out of school and actually recently got crowned world hoop champion in my age category!

I think that's everything for now, good luck year 11!

also doing citizenship in November! feel free to chat about it anytime!!
Original post by 15977emily
Hey,
I'm Emily (she/her)

About me?
I ave Autism/Anxiety and have an EHCP. I struggle with social skills (hence why I joined here, to give me some social interaction!). I love music and digital design. I have a dog called Bailey who is my best friend!

As a fellow autistic Emily, I hope we will get along well! Your dog sounds wonderful 🥺
Can someone help me with answering history interpretations questions
hi my name is 1hhh she her
im studying
aqa english lit lang
maths edexcel
phy edexcel
bio ocr
chem aqa
computer science ocr
aqa business studies
aqa spanish
aqa rs
i havent got my predicted yet so well have to wait and see
i have a dream to get into medicine at oxford but realistically medicine at any uni by itself would be great as well
im aiming to get all 8/9s
i go to a grammar school and idk how i got there but its great and i have slight dyslexia
i love learning new things in chem and maths and my hobbies include playing the piano and playing need for speed/minecraft 😂😂😅
i kinda am nervous for yr 11 and not sure how it will go cuz of covid
and my plan got ruined but oh well
love tsr btw
(edited 3 years ago)
if a local area goes into lockdown during gcses does that mean that ower gcses get pushed back
Original post by 1hhh
if a local area goes into lockdown during gcses does that mean that ower gcses get pushed back

Yes. There's a contingency day (29th June) which all Year 11s must be available until. GCSEs can be run all the way up to an including on the contingency day. If the lockdown doesn't end before that day or you miss a few because of time, you will get CAGs

Quick Reply

Latest