The Student Room Group

GCSE Autumn 'Resits' 2020

What are you 'resitting' in Autumn and why?
None :smile:
chemistry got an 8 which is annoying because i got an 8 in my mock and i was 3 marks off a 9 but my teacher still gave me an 8
CS got a 7, i know i can get a 9
physics, got an 8, i know i can get a 9
that's it so altogether i'll have (hopefully) 999999988
Reply 3
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth
chemistry got an 8 which is annoying because i got an 8 in my mock and i was 3 marks off a 9 but my teacher still gave me an 8

Do not waste your time re-sitting subjects you got an 8 in - or even a 7. You would be far better off concentrating on your A levels.
I want to resit English language, English literature and design and technology. In a similar vein to @lizzie.zipmouth I feel I could have, and have in a previous mock, done better than my grades even though they are good (8 - in language, 7 in literature, 8 in tech.) I think if you feel you could have done better/have done better just sit them because you will regret not doing it. No harm in retaking (maybe a bit more stress during a levels but I doubt it’s major, particularly for the subjects I’m doing.)
Original post by Compost
Do not waste your time re-sitting subjects you got an 8 in - or even a 7. You would be far better off concentrating on your A levels.

I've covered all of AS level Maths and the first 2 topics in both AS level Chemistry and Biology. I assure you, I am not behind and won't be.
GCSEs are a strong part of the admission process for the course I want to do and there is no harm in retaking. Retaking Chemistry is revision for next year anyways and Computer Science is fairly easy to do well in. Physics I'm weary about so I probably won't retake but there's no harm in doing so. I would regret it if I didn't and if my gcses hindered me in anyway
Do you guys think the grade boundaries for the autumn exams will be harsher/higher?
i hope they re not
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth

what are your current grades if u don't mind saying
Original post by Compost

Don't you think that re-sitting a 7 for an 8 or 9 would be beneficial since it would show that you're not letting CAGs define you & aren't taking the easy way out? I got a 7 in Maths and I'm considering retaking, although I'm taking Math in A-levels anyway sooo...
I wouldn't bother. Some revision of GCSE content now to be ready for the start of term would be a good idea but I'm not sure how seriously a university would take a GCSE taken when you're already studying the A level.
Original post by Compost
I wouldn't bother. Some revision of GCSE content now to be ready for the start of term would be a good idea but I'm not sure how seriously a university would take a GCSE taken when you're already studying the A level.

I get your point, but considering these GCSEs resits in O/N aren't really counted as resits & rather as first sittings, would that make much of an impact?
Original post by anaveragekid
I get your point, but considering these GCSEs resits in O/N aren't really counted as resits & rather as first sittings, would that make much of an impact?

Hard to know since we've never been in this situation before. If you were taking AS at the end of Year 12 I would saying definitely don't as that would provide evidence of your ability before you apply for university. As it stands, it's hard to be certain.
Original post by Compost
Hard to know since we've never been in this situation before. If you were taking AS at the end of Year 12 I would saying definitely don't as that would provide evidence of your ability before you apply for university. As it stands, it's hard to be certain.

Right, so I actually am just entering AS this Sept & ofc barring some catastrophe will be taking the AS exams in M/J 2021. In such a case a retake wouldn't be recommended, right? I talked to a lot of my seniors & teachers, tbf they've all cautioned against a retake saying I should focus on AS instead to prove that my GCSE 7 was not the correct grade, rather than retaking and risking all your AS subjects. Would you agree with that?
Original post by anaveragekid
Right, so I actually am just entering AS this Sept & ofc barring some catastrophe will be taking the AS exams in M/J 2021. In such a case a retake wouldn't be recommended, right? I talked to a lot of my seniors & teachers, tbf they've all cautioned against a retake saying I should focus on AS instead to prove that my GCSE 7 was not the correct grade, rather than retaking and risking all your AS subjects. Would you agree with that?

yes

Quick Reply

Latest