The Student Room Group

The Current Year 11 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Goldie-Is-King
Im away then for a bit(2/3 weeks):colondollar:.........I will catch up with it.......promise

I know, I don't mind. You can hop onto the bandwagon whenever it suits you best :smile:
Original post by Roses & Dreams
I know, I don't mind. You can hop onto the bandwagon whenever it suits you best :smile:

How much will I be missed out of 10...........I will take 6
How much will I be missed out of 10...........I will take 6

By me or by others? I can't put a number on something I haven't yet experienced :tongue:
By me or by others? I can't put a number on something I haven't yet experienced :tongue:

Well you it will be 2/10 but I meant others:biggrin:
Well you it will be 2/10 but I meant others:biggrin:

I haven't yet mastered the skill of mind reading :wink:
I haven't yet mastered the skill of mind reading :wink:

10........say 10 honestly:biggrin:
10........say 10 honestly:biggrin:

I shall say nothing because my mind holds nothing :biggrin:
I shall say nothing because my mind holds nothing :biggrin:

Whats my mind then?:u:
Whats my mind then?:u:

Your mind is your mind, as aforementioned I lack the ability to mind read :biggrin:
Original post by 1hhh
yh so like they scrapped practicals for sciences got rid of one of the books for eng lit and scrapped speaking for languages

practicals still apparently are a part of the exams. however, we no longer do them in class ourselves, instead it’ll be demonstrated to through a teacher, video or presentation so we don’t waste lesson time in school - at the same time sticking to safety stuff. for english we need to do shakespeare and can drop one of the others, unless it’s only poetry we can drop. idk about speaking for languages though, i did spanish in y10 and am doing polish as my extra subject but no one told us anything about that x

Original post by 1hhh
and apparently they r looking to push gcse to june 7

they will if there’s another lockdown or something happens that might cause a national problem that’ll affect all the schools here xx hopefully not as having as much normality as possible is gonna be really valuable this year - a lot of people (parents, students and teachers) argued that we’ll need that long summer everyone gets, some parents are already worried bc they have weddings and holidays booked for next year and delaying the exams will be unfair to them, i guess they listened bc 29th june is the only date given that we absolutely have to be available for x
Your mind is your mind, as aforementioned I lack the ability to mind read :biggrin:

aforementioned?

whats that mean:colondollar:
I thought Boris said that even in local lockdowns he would try to keep schools open? If everyone's exams are at different dates that would hardly be fair, so I doubt that's going to happen.
aforementioned?

whats that mean:colondollar:

Already mentioned :biggrin:
Already mentioned :biggrin:

sorry im thick............i bet everyone knows that:no:

Chocolate's thick and chocolate's nice :biggrin:
You're not thick, the only person thinking that is you
Original post by studybean:b
I'm retaking english lang cuz i suck, pls leave tips 😭😭😭

i suck at english lang so my tips won’t be great, i got a 7 in my end of years in march though, tbh idk how as it’s definitely not my strong point. i only really have one tip and it’s for creative writing:
my teacher told us to create 3 characters and have them written down into a page (pictures/drawing c an be included). all have different names, can be basic or rare, all have completely different looks and personalities as well as interests. remember these characters and basically befriend them from now on. simply so that you don’t waste time creating people when you can spend time creating the storyline itself. 3 people max because that’s all you need. also note down some of your favourite phrases from books or some complex sentences and stuff and memorise them for your stories so you have more time to develop the story instead of vocabulary. also think of a couple locations you’d like using (an attic, shopping centre, cruise ship, school etc etc) that have different possibilities of storylines, so it’s easy to get started. also begins are always the hardest part for me, so i always just use the power of three to begin (for a beach setting i’d use: birds chirping, waves crashing. wind rustling. ...) or with someone speaking in the middle of a conversation, still making sure the reader understands what the conversation was based on (for example: “so?” amanda questioned her daydreaming friend as she raised one of her perfectly-shaped eyebrows. “are you going to do the dare?” already the reader knows they’re playing truth or dare but the dare remains unknown, so the story never started at the beginning of their game but rather mid-playing, so it gets to the point instead of dragging the story along. i think i actually read a similar story beginning like this so it’s NOT my original idea, i just tweaked it a bit to fit my storyline from ages ago i’m not that original pahah). that’s kind of it. i have 2 small posters of revision tips/sentence starters and good phrases to use for both english lang papers but i’m in poland rn, i’ll be back next week so i’ll post them on here once i’m back xx
Chocolate's thick and chocolate's nice :biggrin:
You're not thick, the only person thinking that is you

I mean everyone knows what that word meant aforementioned?

i didn’t 😅 but i’ll know from now on ahaha
Original post by karolinamcz
they will if there’s another lockdown or something happens that might cause a national problem that’ll affect all the schools here xx hopefully not as having as much normality as possible is gonna be really valuable this year - a lot of people (parents, students and teachers) argued that we’ll need that long summer everyone gets, some parents are already worried bc they have weddings and holidays booked for next year and delaying the exams will be unfair to them, i guess they listened bc 29th june is the only date given that we absolutely have to be available for x

My area is currently in lockdown, but as far as I know its school as (new) normal in September.
Original post by karolinamcz
i suck at english lang so my tips won’t be great, i got a 7 in my end of years in march though, tbh idk how as it’s definitely not my strong point. i only really have one tip and it’s for creative writing:
my teacher told us to create 3 characters and have them written down into a page (pictures/drawing c an be included). all have different names, can be basic or rare, all have completely different looks and personalities as well as interests. remember these characters and basically befriend them from now on. simply so that you don’t waste time creating people when you can spend time creating the storyline itself. 3 people max because that’s all you need. also note down some of your favourite phrases from books or some complex sentences and stuff and memorise them for your stories so you have more time to develop the story instead of vocabulary. also think of a couple locations you’d like using (an attic, shopping centre, cruise ship, school etc etc) that have different possibilities of storylines, so it’s easy to get started. also begins are always the hardest part for me, so i always just use the power of three to begin (for a beach setting i’d use: birds chirping, waves crashing. wind rustling. ...) or with someone speaking in the middle of a conversation, still making sure the reader understands what the conversation was based on (for example: “so?” amanda questioned her daydreaming friend as she raised one of her perfectly-shaped eyebrows. “are you going to do the dare?” already the reader knows they’re playing truth or dare but the dare remains unknown, so the story never started at the beginning of their game but rather mid-playing, so it gets to the point instead of dragging the story along. i think i actually read a similar story beginning like this so it’s NOT my original idea, i just tweaked it a bit to fit my storyline from ages ago i’m not that original pahah). that’s kind of it. i have 2 small posters of revision tips/sentence starters and good phrases to use for both english lang papers but i’m in poland rn, i’ll be back next week so i’ll post them on here once i’m back xx

Thank you so much! These tips are so helpful, and a 7 is so good, i'm sure with more practice you'd get a 9 in year 11, thanks again!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest