The Student Room Group

Programming/Web Dev Advice?

Greetings, hoping that there's some Software Engineers/Web Developers who can help me out here!

Last couple months I've been testing out programming languages to learn, since I'm not enjoying my Current degree. I ended up sticking with Java and I'm half way through the Java Head First Book.

I came to a decision that the Career for me, is a Web Developer!

However that would require Learning HTML/CSS and Javascript and not Java, as I want to do Frontend.

I'm really struggling with the Java book now, and I'm tempted to drop it, and just start learning the 3 things I need to be a front end dev.

Should I keep learning Java, or just go to the main things I need for this chosen Career?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by CodingWho22
Greetings, hoping that there's some Software Engineers/Web Developers who can help me out here!

Last couple months I've been testing out programming languages to learn, since I'm not enjoying my Current degree. I ended up sticking with Java and I'm half way through the Java Head First Book.

I came to a decision that the Career for me, is a Web Developer!

However that would require Learning HTML/CSS and Javascript and not Java, as I want to do Frontend.

I'm really struggling with the Java book now, and I'm tempted to drop it, and just start learning the 3 things I need to be a front end dev.

Should I keep learning Java, or just go to the main things I need for this chosen Career?

Many thanks in advance!

In my opinion, Java is good for teaching you the fundamentals of coding in an Object-Oriented style. Besides, Java isn't typically used for the back-end of web development, PHP is very commonly used here, and there are several frameworks (most notably Laravel) that use PHP for this purpose.

However, if you want to do front-end, then I think you're right. Focus on the HTML, CSS and Javascript. vue.js is a good javascript framework for building web UIs and single page web applications. Also look at things like sass (which can compile down to CSS) which makes styling easier.
:hi: I'm a software engineer.

Web development entails learning lots of different languages and frameworks. It can get very confusing. I would recommend you follow a structured training programme like an online bootcamp. Personally, I would recommend https://www.udemy.com/course/the-web-developer-bootcamp/ to beginners. It covers basic frontend (HTML/CSS/Javascript) and some backend with Node.js (which is also Javascript). Java might be too difficult to learn for a beginner, especially in conjunction with three other languages.
Reply 3
Original post by Ben_171
In my opinion, Java is good for teaching you the fundamentals of coding in an Object-Oriented style. Besides, Java isn't typically used for the back-end of web development, PHP is very commonly used here, and there are several frameworks (most notably Laravel) that use PHP for this purpose.

However, if you want to do front-end, then I think you're right. Focus on the HTML, CSS and Javascript. vue.js is a good javascript framework for building web UIs and single page web applications. Also look at things like sass (which can compile down to CSS) which makes styling easier.

Appreciate the detailed reply! Comforts me knowing you mentioned other Frameworks too. I thought learning Java fully would be good for the fundamentals but I was told multiple times that it doesn't translate over to Javascript like with other languages.

I'll look into sass and start my Web Dev journey tomorrow!

Thanks a ton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending