The Student Room Group

Dreading year 12...

I don’t want to go back to school I think my anxiety will just get worse. I’m also stuck between choosing sixthforms. My current schools sixth form doesn’t get good results but looks nice and cosy as there’s a new campus. The other school gets results as if it’s a private school however the school looks old and gloomy. I’m so confused and I recently had a anxiety attack because of stress over little things like this
Where are your friends going? which place has better teaching? which school is closer? do they both offer your choices? if you go to a worse school are you prepared to put that extra work in? How has your experience at your old school Been? All good questions to consider

I'm in year 13 now and last year when I was in year 11 changed to a school with better results. There's been some good outcomes - better grades & teaching, new friends, more freedom since it was a sixth form college. But at the same time cons e.g left my old friends, made a few annnoyingly fake friends, school is an hour away vs 15 minutes in my old school, stress from pressures of a 'good school' etc. but all in all I'm glad I changed to my new school. Also helped I despised my old school. But experiences are different, ik people who hated the change.

ultimately it's your decision and it's only 2 years and they will go really fast. Also you can always switch schools if your old school is nice enough after trying out the newer one.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Where are your friends going? which place has better teaching? which school is closer? do they both offer your choices? if you go to a worse school are you prepared to put that extra work in? How has your experience at your old school Been? All good questions to consider

I'm in year 13 now and last year when I was in year 11 changed to a school with better results. There's been some good outcomes - better grades & teaching, new friends, more freedom since it was a sixth form college. But at the same time cons e.g left my old friends, made a few annnoyingly fake friends, school is an hour away vs 15 minutes in my old school, stress from pressures of a 'good school' etc. but all in all I'm glad I changed to my new school. Also helped I despised my old school. But experiences are different, ik people who hated the change.

ultimately it's your decision and it's only 2 years and they will go really fast. Also you can always switch schools if your old school is nice enough after trying out the newer one.

I don’t really have any friends at my current school apart from this one girl who’s really nice. Most of my year group hates me because of fake rumours that the “popular girls” spread.
The new school has way better teaching. My current school is closer tho like 5 mins in the car whereas the new school takes 15-20 mins in the car. Both offer the subjects I want to do. My current school doesn’t have good education and I already had to teach myself the whole GCSE content for most subjects.

I haven’t had a good experience at my current school. I was alone for 3 years straight after year 9 when my “friends” left me because of fake rumours. I had to eat lunch alone and had no social life so moving schools will mean that I get a chance to start fresh. But also at the new school friendship groups will already be made so idk... I’m really confused and I’m having anxiety over this little decision
Original post by Isha8080
I don’t really have any friends at my current school apart from this one girl who’s really nice. Most of my year group hates me because of fake rumours that the “popular girls” spread.
The new school has way better teaching. My current school is closer tho like 5 mins in the car whereas the new school takes 15-20 mins in the car. Both offer the subjects I want to do. My current school doesn’t have good education and I already had to teach myself the whole GCSE content for most subjects.

I haven’t had a good experience at my current school. I was alone for 3 years straight after year 9 when my “friends” left me because of fake rumours. I had to eat lunch alone and had no social life so moving schools will mean that I get a chance to start fresh. But also at the new school friendship groups will already be made so idk... I’m really confused and I’m having anxiety over this little decision

It sounds like your old school was horrible for you no offence, I think you should change schools. But it's your decision. Also depends on what the new school is, is it an academy where everyone knows each other or is a sixth form college where everyone is relatively new to the school so there's less anxiety. August is ending so you should make the choice quick and good luck!!!

If it turns out bad, please believe me when I say the years will go quicker than you realise, hell I was only in year 12 for 6 months than this pandemic hit!! but even those 6 months felt quick. Also remember that you'll be heading to university before you know it, so study hard and make these years what you make of it. The best advice I can give you it not to care what others think, because i did way too much of that in year 12 and it made me miserable even when i had friend. Just have fun! (and study lol)
Samess I don’t wanna start school just yet😢 it’s in less than a week!! I have so much hw to do, buy my 6th form clothes as well as get ready for a dofe practice expedition. Ugh can we just go back 1 month or something
Reply 5
It sounds like your old school was horrible for you no offence, I think you should change schools. But it's your decision. Also depends on what the new school is, is it an academy where everyone knows each other or is a sixth form college where everyone is relatively new to the school so there's less anxiety. August is ending so you should make the choice quick and good luck!!!

If it turns out bad, please believe me when I say the years will go quicker than you realise, hell I was only in year 12 for 6 months than this pandemic hit!! but even those 6 months felt quick. Also remember that you'll be heading to university before you know it, so study hard and make these years what you make of it. The best advice I can give you it not to care what others think, because i did way too much of that in year 12 and it made me miserable even when i had friend. Just have fun! (and study lol)

Most people have said I should move schools so I think I might. But whenever I try to start something new, my anxiety pushes me back so if that happens I’m going to be at my current school. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. The new school isn’t a college so friendship groups there will have already been established and that is what’s scaring me
Reply 6
Original post by glowing_starfish
Samess I don’t wanna start school just yet😢 it’s in less than a week!! I have so much hw to do, buy my 6th form clothes as well as get ready for a dofe practice expedition. Ugh can we just go back 1 month or something

Omg same I’m not ready either. I need to buy clothes and do my transition work in a week
I think you should go to the school where you feel you would be more supported and where the teachers care more about the students. A level is more about self teaching anyways so i wouldn't suggest going to a far sixthform for the better teaching as it usually means they care less about their students if theirs a lot of students.
Do you know what you want to do in the future? If so, if it requires a levels do them but if you can get in with a btec I would go for them as they are a lot less stressful.
Reply 8
I think you should go to the school where you feel you would be more supported and where the teachers care more about the students. A level is more about self teaching anyways so i wouldn't suggest going to a far sixthform for the better teaching as it usually means they care less about their students if theirs a lot of students.
Do you know what you want to do in the future? If so, if it requires a levels do them but if you can get in with a btec I would go for them as they are a lot less stressful.

My current school has a separate sixth form campus so the teachers there will solely care about a level students. However at the new school the sixth form is with the rest of the school (yrs 7-11) but the teachers there have more of a friendship kind of relationship with the students.
I don’t want to go back to school I think my anxiety will just get worse. I’m also stuck between choosing sixthforms. My current schools sixth form doesn’t get good results but looks nice and cosy as there’s a new campus. The other school gets results as if it’s a private school however the school looks old and gloomy. I’m so confused and I recently had a anxiety attack because of stress over little things like this

Tbh the school doesn’t really matter, especially at alevel, because it’s really dependent on how much effort you are willing to put in.

For my GCSEs, I was at an awful school. When I say awful and mean absolutely dog sh*t. Despite that, I got top grades, 9 in biology, 8 in physics, 7 in maths, to name a few.
Most people have said I should move schools so I think I might. But whenever I try to start something new, my anxiety pushes me back so if that happens I’m going to be at my current school. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. The new school isn’t a college so friendship groups there will have already been established and that is what’s scaring me

Tbh I think u should deffo consider that 2nd school because u will have more gain than losses in a way right I mean it’s not like ur losing ur other friend. If u don’t go u will never know if u could of made new friends and don’t forget about the good grades:smile:

Also u probably won’t be the only new person there - acc everyone will be new to the environment cause none of youse have acc been to sixth form yet as u r only starting so u r pretty much on the same level.

Also don’t judge a school by its looks :smile:
My school is a private school n it is very old fashioned however I am rly happy to be there.
My current school has a separate sixth form campus so the teachers there will solely care about a level students. However at the new school the sixth form is with the rest of the school (yrs 7-11) but the teachers there have more of a friendship kind of relationship with the students.

I would go to your current school. Your second school wouldn't support you much and their time would be divided with gcse students. Plus the commute gets tiring after a while and when your back from sixthform your not going to want to revise.
Reply 12
Tbh I think u should deffo consider that 2nd school because u will have more gain than losses in a way right I mean it’s not like ur losing ur other friend. If u don’t go u will never know if u could of made new friends and don’t forget about the good grades:smile:

Also u probably won’t be the only new person there - acc everyone will be new to the environment cause none of youse have acc been to sixth form yet as u r only starting so u r pretty much on the same level.

Also don’t judge a school by its looks :smile:
My school is a private school n it is very old fashioned however I am rly happy to be there.

No at the new Sixthform most of the people will be coming straight from year 11 from the same school. Also idk why I feel I’ll be happier at my current school? The thing that I’m fearing the most is the fact that I may not be able to settle there and I might feel down all the time. If that happens then I won’t be able to put effort into A-levels.
No at the new Sixthform most of the people will be coming straight from year 11 from the same school. Also idk why I feel I’ll be happier at my current school? The thing that I’m fearing the most is the fact that I may not be able to settle there and I might feel down all the time. If that happens then I won’t be able to put effort into A-levels.

Dw i get ur POV. I acc joined my private school at secondary from a state school n none of my friends went there. I had a hard time the first few months even wen ppl tried to make friends I kinda pushed them away. I am so grateful that my friends acc tried w me n now we r totally besties. You may also make friends too n ppl there will be more focused on their studies than to bother wasting time judging ppl, which is my experience at a private school n like u sed that school has the grades. A levels will apparently take a lot of ur time so either way u should decide for ur studies
Reply 14
Dw i get ur POV. I acc joined my private school at secondary from a state school n none of my friends went there. I had a hard time the first few months even wen ppl tried to make friends I kinda pushed them away. I am so grateful that my friends acc tried w me n now we r totally besties. You may also make friends too n ppl there will be more focused on their studies than to bother wasting time judging ppl, which is my experience at a private school n like u sed that school has the grades. A levels will apparently take a lot of ur time so either way u should decide for ur studies

At the moment, I think I’m going to go to my current schools sixth form because I’m scared of dreading the new school. Also I cannot waste any time in year 12 just for trying to settle into the new environment
At the moment, I think I’m going to go to my current schools sixth form because I’m scared of dreading the new school. Also I cannot waste any time in year 12 just for trying to settle into the new environment

Ok if you feel that’s best for you. Good luck!!!

Heyyyy so how’s sixthform? Which one did u end up choosing?
Reply 17
Heyyyy so how’s sixthform? Which one did u end up choosing?

I chose the new one and I like it. The teachers here are much more supportive and helpful than the ones at my old school. The only issue is that I’m really stressed because I didn’t make notes from the start of the year :bawling:
I chose the new one and I like it. The teachers here are much more supportive and helpful than the ones at my old school. The only issue is that I’m really stressed because I didn’t make notes from the start of the year :bawling:

Yaaass good on u x igu that’s me too. What a levels r u taking? I’m doing chem bio n rs. At the start I barely did notes like it was hard adjusting. ngl I’m kinda happy I’m in lockdown cause I’ve gotten so many more notes done than wen I was at school. Although I am drowning in workload and I feel like extremely overwhelmed
Reply 19
Yaaass good on u x igu that’s me too. What a levels r u taking? I’m doing chem bio n rs. At the start I barely did notes like it was hard adjusting. ngl I’m kinda happy I’m in lockdown cause I’ve gotten so many more notes done than wen I was at school. Although I am drowning in workload and I feel like extremely overwhelmed

Same I feel overwhelmed too especially with the essays. This year messed up education but with lockdown at least we have more time for revision and making notes. I’m taking bio, chem and history.

Quick Reply

Latest