Korrny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, I’m looking for a first car and have a budget of around 2.5k and am planning on paying monthly for insurance. I’ve checked quotes on The usual polos, fiestas, corsas etc. Looking at around £1400 mark with no black box however I’ve noticed I can insure a bmw 116i for around the same however this is including a black box. Just wondering if the horror stories you hear are justified. I’m not going to be driving like a nutter. What do you guys think? Usual corsas etc with no box or a 1 series with a box? if the usual is my best option what is the best out of the Fiesta polo clio etc. I will be using it to commute to college 12 miles each way 3 times a week and to meet friends sometimes etc.
Last edited by Korrny; 1 month ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter has a black box and it has been no problem at all. VW polo 1.2 in a fairly expensive postcode for insurance purposes- she passed at 17 and fully comp with 3000 miles was £890. Renewal this year was £595. 2 named drivers with good driving records help bring the price down admittedly
Korrny
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply. I couldn’t ask what company your daughters with as I think some are a little more lenient. Has she not got any curfews or anything?
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Admiral little box. Never had anything from them.
MJ1148
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have had a black box since January and was worried since most of the companies have shocking reviews, but I have not had any problems with it so far *touchwood*. As long as you keep within the speed limit you’ll be fine.
Korrny
Rep:
?
That’s great thanks for your help.
Korrny
Rep:
?
(Original post by MJ1148)
I have had a black box since January and was worried since most of the companies have shocking reviews, but I have not had any problems with it so far *touchwood*. As long as you keep within the speed limit you’ll be fine.
That’s what I was thinking tbh wasn’t planning on driving like the usual BMW drivers haha. Are you with Admiral aswell?
izzxm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve had a blackbox from smartwheels since Feb and have had no problems! tbh i’ve never known anyone personally who has/had any problems with blackbox insurance, even though everyone seems to always complain about it? - as long as you stick to speed limits and just drive carefully i’m sure you’ll have no problems.
Korrny
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
I’ve had a blackbox from smartwheels since Feb and have had no problems! tbh i’ve never known anyone personally who has/had any problems with blackbox insurance, even though everyone seems to always complain about it? - as long as you stick to speed limits and just drive carefully i’m sure you’ll have no problems.
That’s great then. Think I’ll start looking for a 1 series. Thanks for the help!
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Korrny)
Hey guys, I’m looking for a first car and have a budget of around 2.5k and am planning on paying monthly for insurance. I’ve checked quotes on The usual polos, fiestas, corsas etc. Looking at around £1400 mark with no black box however I’ve noticed I can insure a bmw 116i for around the same however this is including a black box. Just wondering if the horror stories you hear are justified. I’m not going to be driving like a nutter. What do you guys think? Usual corsas etc with no box or a 1 series with a box? if the usual is my best option what is the best out of the Fiesta polo clio etc. I will be using it to commute to college 12 miles each way 3 times a week and to meet friends sometimes etc.
I'd personally go for the £1.4k with no black box on the the usual cars - whilst I can't say from experience (I've not had a black box), the amount of horror stories I've read (including the fact that they can cancel your policy and thus make you almost impossible to get an insurance quote for in future) about these boxes would make me steer well clear of them.
Korrny
Rep:
?
Yeah I’ve read Hundreds of horror stories. I can get insured on a 1.6 Focus 2008 for £1500 with no black box but I’m not sure if the 1.6 will be fast enough on the motorway? will it be enough? I can also get insured on a 1.6 Polo from 2007 For the same price. Should be a bit faster as it’s smaller But will the focus be more comfortable? which would you go for.
MJ1148
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That’s what I was thinking tbh wasn’t planning on driving like the usual BMW drivers haha. Are you with Admiral aswell?
I’m with insurethebox, tbh just went on comparethemarket and chose the cheapest option 😂
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I’ve read Hundreds of horror stories. I can get insured on a 1.6 Focus 2008 for £1500 with no black box but I’m not sure if the 1.6 will be fast enough on the motorway? will it be enough? I can also get insured on a 1.6 Polo from 2007 For the same price. Should be a bit faster as it’s smaller But will the focus be more comfortable? which would you go for.
A 1.6 will be fine. If anything, it'll be a little too powerful for a new driver. Look into common issues with both, and buy whichever you can find in the better condition for the money. I'd probably prefer the Focus, as it's more practical.

It may have changed, but paying monthly for insurance used to imply a credit agreement - you would have to continue paying for the year, even if your car isn't running or is written-off.

Be safe.
Korrny
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
A 1.6 will be fine. If anything, it'll be a little too powerful for a new driver. Look into common issues with both, and buy whichever you can find in the better condition for the money. I'd probably prefer the Focus, as it's more practical.

It may have changed, but paying monthly for insurance used to imply a credit agreement - you would have to continue paying for the year, even if your car isn't running or is written-off.

Be safe.
Thanks for the help, leaning towards the Focus anyway. As for the insurance I think that’s still the case, not much I can do though as it’s took me a while to even save up the 2.5k and would take the good part of another year to save up the 1.5k for insurance. The policy is with Hastings Essential. You ever heard anything about them?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the help, leaning towards the Focus anyway. As for the insurance I think that’s still the case, not much I can do though as it’s took me a while to even save up the 2.5k and would take the good part of another year to save up the 1.5k for insurance. The policy is with Hastings Essential. You ever heard anything about them?
I've not lived in the UK for almost 13 years, but Hastings is known.

If you're paying for the insurance from future earnings, there is a risk that you won't have the money, but will still owe it.
L-K
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've had a black box with my insurance for the past few years. I haven't had any problems and it has cost less and less each year.
You can log into your account whenever and see your driving score. It goes down with minor speeding (i.e. a couple of mph over the speed limit), sharp breaking and if you drive very late at night a lot. I drive carefully on the whole, but do drive on a late evening sometimes and it hasn't made much difference.
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've tried blackbox for my first 3 months of driving, my score dipped low so I cancelled the policy as the company increased the overall amount I owe them in correspondence to my score.

Ultimately opted for no blackbox to avoid the hassle and threat of having a insurance cancellation marker on my driving history. Driving became more fun and less hassle after this, could speed on the fast lane on the motorway as well as the backroads.
Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A 1.0L voltswagen polo is has the lowest insurance cost of any car you can buy. If you are concerned about price, get a 1 litre polo.
Max217
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For 2.5k, that 116i is going to bankrupt you in a matter of months. You're talking about Polos and Fiestas, then a rear wheel drive beemer that will cost more to fill up, service and fix. Honestly, nobody should get a RWD car for their first car, you haven't driven one before, and the first time you start driving in the rain and hit some corners, it could well be the end of the car.

Fiestas, Polos and Corsas are so popular because they're cheap to buy, insure, run, don't have too much power, and just generally are perfectly purpose built. Can't really go wrong with any of them, good safety ratings and decent interiors too. You could also look at Mini One's/Firsts or Suzuki Swift's. Black boxes are great too btw, your insurance will go down a lot faster if you have one on your policy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads