The Student Room Group

A-Level Extenuating Circumstances

Hello,

So, when I did my A-Levels I had a serious health condition occur to me in the months leading up to and during my A-Level exams. Because of this I received below average A-Level grades (CDE in Business, Economics and Maths respectively). I was predicted higher and I know I am better than CDE grades. I did my A-Levels in 2019 and was hoping to retake my exams in Summer 2020 but they were cancelled due to COVID-19. I was hoping to go uni in September 2020 but it would be at a lower tier uni. I want to pursue a career in finance, so I wanted to ask for advice on whether I should go to a lower tier uni or resit my A-Levels in 2021. Thanks
i’m sorry to hear that u had a serious health problem. if u like the university that u have found that accepts ur grades then go ahead. personally i would retake the year and get better grades to go to a decent enough uni. look for universities that do foundation years (since the entry requirements would be lower) r u happy with doing that. but this is something that u need to figure out for urself. do u want to go to uni this year or r u okay with retaking the year. at the end of the day this is ur educational journey. the most we can do is advice u but we can’t tell u what to do.
Reply 2
Y

Original post by OnABus2Neverland
i’m sorry to hear that u had a serious health problem. if u like the university that u have found that accepts ur grades then go ahead. personally i would retake the year and get better grades to go to a decent enough uni. look for universities that do foundation years (since the entry requirements would be lower) r u happy with doing that. but this is something that u need to figure out for urself. do u want to go to uni this year or r u okay with retaking the year. at the end of the day this is ur educational journey. the most we can do is advice u but we can’t tell u what to do.

The university isn’t my ideal choice of uni (Uni of Greenwich). I’ve looked at foundation years but I’ve heard they are a waste of time and money. I feel like Uni of Greenwich will hold me back from advancing in a career in finance. I am ok with retaking the year but when I go uni I will be 22 which is annoying that my health has delayed me going to uni.
Original post by Anonymous
Y

The university isn’t my ideal choice of uni (Uni of Greenwich). I’ve looked at foundation years but I’ve heard they are a waste of time and money. I feel like Uni of Greenwich will hold me back from advancing in a career in finance. I am ok with retaking the year but when I go uni I will be 22 which is annoying that my health has delayed me going to uni.

university of greenwich is an ok university but i think, since u want to do finance, u should definitely go to a much more decent university like city university of london. i understand that it might be frustrating waiting so long to go to university but u would rather go to a decent university and have a better chance of pursuing a career in finance. age doesn’t matter :smile:) ik people that have decided to go to university at the age of 26! education is a journey and ur journey started a little later than usual which is okay especially since it’s not ur fault :smile:) good luck and hopefully we’ll stay in contact to see how ur doing for ur a levels and university!!
Y

What grades do you think you can get?

Ideally you should be ready to sit them this October.

Given the chance I am more of a fan of resitting and going to the uni after achieving my potential. Its been very unfair on resitters, but you only do uni once and I would hate being at a uni I didnt wish to attend or felt I should have been at a much better one.
i’m in the same situation as you. had some personal issues in year 13 and expected to resit this year. my sixth form gave me the same grades i got initially. i’m reapplying for the third time for 2021 to get into a RG uni, i didn’t want to go to a sh*t uni, after all that was one of the main reasons why i resat - get into any dream uni where i know i’ll get lots of opportunities and a good experience
Reply 6
Original post by OnABus2Neverland
university of greenwich is an ok university but i think, since u want to do finance, u should definitely go to a much more decent university like city university of london. i understand that it might be frustrating waiting so long to go to university but u would rather go to a decent university and have a better chance of pursuing a career in finance. age doesn’t matter :smile:) ik people that have decided to go to university at the age of 26! education is a journey and ur journey started a little later than usual which is okay especially since it’s not ur fault :smile:) good luck and hopefully we’ll stay in contact to see how ur doing for ur a levels and university!!

Yea you're right. In the long term I think it will impact me going to below average uni. I have decided to retake my A-Levels this year. I appreciate your advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
What grades do you think you can get?

Ideally you should be ready to sit them this October.

Given the chance I am more of a fan of resitting and going to the uni after achieving my potential. Its been very unfair on resitters, but you only do uni once and I would hate being at a uni I didnt wish to attend or felt I should have been at a much better one.

Grades wise I think for Business I think I can get an A. For Economics I'd say a B and Maths I can get a B/A. I would have been ready to sit them in October, but with the exams cancellation, I was told after the cancellation that my exam centre would give me centre assessment grades but around a month later they said I wouldn't be able to get those grades due to lack of evidence to submit. And yea I've decided to retake my A-Levels this year as for finance the Uni you go to matters. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 8
i’m in the same situation as you. had some personal issues in year 13 and expected to resit this year. my sixth form gave me the same grades i got initially. i’m reapplying for the third time for 2021 to get into a RG uni, i didn’t want to go to a sh*t uni, after all that was one of the main reasons why i resat - get into any dream uni where i know i’ll get lots of opportunities and a good experience

Yea it sucks when things out of our control happen. I tried to convince myself that Uni of Greenwich would be fine, but I couldn't do it. Good uni = good career. Thanks for your advice :smile:
Grades wise I think for Business I think I can get an A. For Economics I'd say a B and Maths I can get a B/A. I would have been ready to sit them in October, but with the exams cancellation, I was told after the cancellation that my exam centre would give me centre assessment grades but around a month later they said I wouldn't be able to get those grades due to lack of evidence to submit. And yea I've decided to retake my A-Levels this year as for finance the Uni you go to matters. Thanks for the advice :smile:

So my adviuce is if you feel ready then take all three and go for the A's. As the results wont be out till January then resit any of your subjects you dont get an A in that Summer, then get into the best uni you cna and if by finance you mean IB then you are aiming to get into a traget uni.
Original post by 999tigger
So my adviuce is if you feel ready then take all three and go for the A's. As the results wont be out till January then resit any of your subjects you dont get an A in that Summer, then get into the best uni you cna and if by finance you mean IB then you are aiming to get into a traget uni.

Problem is I don't feel ready to take the Autumn exams, once the exams cancelled in March I was prepared to just go to the best uni I could go to with my grades. So for a few months I have not been in touch with my subjects. But now I realise I wanna go to a more reputable uni. I want to after a bachelors to do a masters in financial law, well hopefully. But I think firms are still interested in the higher rep unis
Problem is I don't feel ready to take the Autumn exams, once the exams cancelled in March I was prepared to just go to the best uni I could go to with my grades. So for a few months I have not been in touch with my subjects. But now I realise I wanna go to a more reputable uni. I want to after a bachelors to do a masters in financial law, well hopefully. But I think firms are still interested in the higher rep unis

Then do them next summer.
Hi, I don't know if people from this thread would care but I wanted to give an update on my situation so people could possibly learn from it. So even though A-Level exams were cancelled this year, I still sat A-Level exams for my exam centre to receive Centre Assessed grades for A-Level Economics and A-Level Maths. I decided to re-do those subjects because they were more important to do well in comparison to A-Level Business. I managed to get an A* in A-level Economics and an A in A-Level Maths. So I went from CDE to A*AC. It was great to see results that weren't impacted by health problems and now I am progressing to a target university for finance. I think it's safe to say that this year was worth it and I will most likely never have to worry about A-Levels again. I appreciate you guys for the advice you gave me! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest