The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donprima
Hi
need some advice here

Last week i achieved A*AA for A levels and im planninng to apply this year for the 2021 intake.(this sep im taking ucat)
Since medical schools are now offering places for the 2021 intake to those who applied for the 2020 intake will my application get rejected?

im doubtful because of applying as a gap year international student and applying with calculated grades

please be kind enough to advice me on this :smile:

This is just my thoughts,. I don’t claim to be an expert or in the know but this is what I think.
In any given year competition for international spots is very high and I doubt any of the Int’l applicants choose to defer. Moreover, the UK universities only have a finite number of spots for Int’l applicants (capped by funding I think) so are unlikely to over-offer, and certainly not to the same extent as they do for the home applicants. So on that basis there shouldn’t be any change in the number of places for international applicants next year.
Of course the government could theoretically lower the cap on Int’l students for medicine next year and reallocate those spots to home students, but at this point, they haven’t (yet).
Reply 41
Do uk medical universities accept moroccan baccalaureate ?
Reply 42
Please anyone here from morocco managed to get a scholarship to study medicine in UK ?
I have one year until i finish high school in Portugal, and have been thinking about applying to oxford university this year(st. johns to be specific). considering the new laws that have been established, does anyone have any advice or knowledge on how to get in with a scholarship and other helpful tips? (i know the chances are slim to none so i don't really have my hopes up but its worth trying XD)thank you in advance!!
yeahhh holyyy, and turns out eu students wont even be eligible for a loan so that would certainly be a pain in the bottom XD
in Portugal its extremely cheap, but the medical field is extremely competitive. i was just thinking of going to uni in oxford cause my grades are great so far and it seems like an excellent uni (also my asian parents would be extremely proud). however, not having a negative bank account once i leave uni sounds better in hindsight.
Thank you for replying so quickly!!
Original post by coainecoins
I started to worry there might be no places left or only a few places for international medical applicants in 2021. Each medical school has only about 20 places for international students, but now it seems most of 2021 places have already been fixed. e.g. QUB always make around 70 offers for 25 international places, now let's guess at least 50 international students already meet the entry requirements, so places have been filled for next year. GAME OVER :mad:

Sorry, I can't really get what you mean. Do you mean there is nearly no chance to get into medicine in any UK universities for international students in 2021? Why the places are filled?
Yes, but I don't understand why the places have been filled?
Original post by shingshing85
Yes, but I don't understand why the places have been filled?

Some people will have had to defer- I am considered an international student at the moment and I have had to defer my offer to start studying Medicine in 2021 instead of 2020 as originally planned. I now have an unconditional offer which I accepted and according to UCAS track, a confirmed place for 2021. There are very few international places to begin with (18 at the University I am going to) and I don't think they usually allow deferral for internationals but given the circumstances this year they have had to. Even if only 2 or 3 people classed as internationals have been granted deferral already then they have filled places, this means there might only be 15 places for this years applicants to compete for, hence making it even more competitive then usual.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello!

I am an international student wanting to study medicine. I still am waiting to write my A level. I’m not sure if my IGCSE results are good enough compared to others so my back up plan is to do nursing. I wanted to ask if I can apply for medicine and nursing at the same university?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you xx
Original post by Lalipatas
Hello!

I am an international student wanting to study medicine. I still am waiting to write my A level. I’m not sure if my IGCSE results are good enough compared to others so my back up plan is to do nursing. I wanted to ask if I can apply for medicine and nursing at the same university?

Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you xx

Bad idea generally, you d get rejected from nursing as your personal statement will make it clear it's a back up , a better back up choice would be something like biomedical sciences.
As above.

Nursing and Medicine are totally different roles -being really simplistic, nursing is more concerned with the patient's response to illness/injury/healing and delivering treatment, but medicine is more focused on diagnosis and prescription of drugs/treatment rather than delivering that treatment. They are obviously complimentary roles, but nursing is not the 'downgraded' version of medicine.

Because of this different focus, you have to have a different mindset to be a Nurse. A PS about Medicine will tell the Uni that actually you dont want to be a nurse at all, and that you dont have the aptitude for that role.

Most people make their 5th choice (if they use it, you dont have to) something like Biochemistry, Medical Science, Cellular/Molecular Medicine etc. These subjects know that despite you applying for Medicine, you may not get it - and they dont care if they see a Medicine PS, they'll consider you for their course anyway.
Reply 51
Hi, I am studying in Canada now and am planning to apply for medicine in the UK. My OSSD average scores in grade 11 was in the mid 90s (with no AP course) and my UCAT exam score was 2880 SJT Band 1. I've done some shadowing and volunteering work.

I would like to seek some advice on how to apply strategically with my profile and as an international student. Does anyone have any comments on which schools to apply for a better chance?
All UK med schools are excellent, but if I were you I would go with St. Andrews university due to the fact that they’ve special medicine course for students who are from Canada especially if you’re planning to do your residency in Canada after graduation. Check their website.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/
Reply 53
Original post by Arthur95
All UK med schools are excellent, but if I were you I would go with St. Andrews university due to the fact that they’ve special medicine course for students who are from Canada especially if you’re planning to do your residency in Canada after graduation. Check their website.
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/

Thanks Arhtur95

St. Andrews university will likely be one of the universities that I will put in my UCAS application. I am thinking of which other schools that I should put in. I guess those more focus on UCAT results? I am thinking of KCL, Manchester and Newcastle and wonder if I have a chance to get an interview from them. Does anyone know how they shortlist applicants from Canada? Are AP courses a requirement?
I got my ucat score of 2590. May i know which universities are recommended for me to apply as an INTERNATIONAL student ? I have a few universities in mind, which are Queen Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Are these okay ?
Original post by rraayynnaa
I got my ucat score of 2590. May i know which universities are recommended for me to apply as an INTERNATIONAL student ? I have a few universities in mind, which are Queen Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Are these okay ?

Have you considered Liverpool? I don't know how it stands in terms of international students but UCAT only counts for 25% of the application.

What band SJT did you get??? I'm asking this because Edinburgh use it fairly substantially compared to other schools. SJT is worth 15% there so its something to consider
Original post by McGinger
As above.

Nursing and Medicine are totally different roles -being really simplistic, nursing is more concerned with the patient's response to illness/injury/healing and delivering treatment, but medicine is more focused on diagnosis and prescription of drugs/treatment rather than delivering that treatment. They are obviously complimentary roles, but nursing is not the 'downgraded' version of medicine.

Because of this different focus, you have to have a different mindset to be a Nurse. A PS about Medicine will tell the Uni that actually you dont want to be a nurse at all, and that you dont have the aptitude for that role.

Most people make their 5th choice (if they use it, you dont have to) something like Biochemistry, Medical Science, Cellular/Molecular Medicine etc. These subjects know that despite you applying for Medicine, you may not get it - and they dont care if they see a Medicine PS, they'll consider you for their course anyway.

I understand. Thank you very much xx
Original post by claireestelle
Bad idea generally, you d get rejected from nursing as your personal statement will make it clear it's a back up , a better back up choice would be something like biomedical sciences.

Thank you.
Hello! Any help is appreciated.
I’ve got a UCAT score of 2660, IGCSES of 4A*, 3A, 2B, predicteds of 3A* + EPQ, and a decent amount of work experience/ volunteer work. I’ve also got a second qualification from school (SABIS) since I self studied my igcses (not that I think it matters).
Do you think Aberdeen, Southampton, St George’s, and QUB would be safe choices? Or should I be looking else where?
Thank in advance!
Hi folks,

I'm applying as a graduate to undergraduate medicine (aside for maybe Swansea). Can someone help me decide which universities I might have the best chances at? Thanks.
UCAT: 2730 (average 682.5)
- SJT: 600 (UCAT ANZ gives SJT as a raw score rather than bands. Not sure how this translates to band 1-4)

GAMSAT score of 65 (weighted average)

Bachelor of Biomedical Science (non-Honours, long story but Australian Honours is a stand alone research project which many UK universities are aware of and accommodate by requiring a GPA of 5/7, or Distinction/High Distinction instead)
- Overall grade point average of 5.85/7, or ~83%.

Secondary school grades (not sure how this translates to A-levels):
- Queensland OP 3 (equivalent to ATAR ~95.5)
- English and Maths at Very High Achievement
- Biology and Chemistry at High Achievement

The universities I'm considering applying to are: Dundee (first preference), Newcastle (A100, not A101), Swansea (graduate entry), Plymouth (applying as a non-direct school leaver using my GAMSAT), Queen's University Belfast, Nottingham, and East Anglia. Currently I'm thinking of applying to Dundee, Newcastle, Swansea, and Plymouth, but I'm not sure if this is the most strategic or not, especially given how competitive international places are.

Thanks for your help!

Latest

Trending

Trending