The Student Room Group

Math, Economics, Law & Business as A-levels; a few questions.

I'm taking the above mentioned 4 subjects as A-levels, starting in a few days. I've got a few questions;
1. I've heard Economics & Business overlap and this is looked down upon by unis, is this true? I am taking Business as a fourth subject after all. If so, should I drop Business for Accounting? I don't want to burden myself too much.

2. The reason I'm taking Law is that, tbvh, I might want to pursue it later on but I'm not too sure yet. Apart from Law, in order to pursue a degree in Law, do I need any other essay-based subject like English, or is Law A-Level enough?

All help and advice is appreciated. Please bear in mind the subject choices at my school are actually quite limited, I can only switch Business for Accounts or some soft-subject like Psychology or Sociology.
Original post by anaveragekid
I'm taking the above mentioned 4 subjects as A-levels, starting in a few days. I've got a few questions;
1. I've heard Economics & Business overlap and this is looked down upon by unis, is this true? I am taking Business as a fourth subject after all. If so, should I drop Business for Accounting? I don't want to burden myself too much.

2. The reason I'm taking Law is that, tbvh, I might want to pursue it later on but I'm not too sure yet. Apart from Law, in order to pursue a degree in Law, do I need any other essay-based subject like English, or is Law A-Level enough?

All help and advice is appreciated. Please bear in mind the subject choices at my school are actually quite limited, I can only switch Business for Accounts or some soft-subject like Psychology or Sociology.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4 subjects. I would just make sure I have 3 strong grades. Law degrees don't particularly like Law A-level (shocking-I know) as it is seen as a soft subject and would much prefer English/History, a traditional essay based subject. Some unis even require an essay based subject. Unis also don't like you to do Business and Economics together. It seems like you don't enjoy law A-level particularly so I would strongly recommend swapping that out for English and perhaps drop Business if you're not that bothered by it. Ultimately, you need to pick A-levels you will enjoy and that will get you where you want to be. There is also such thing as a 1yr Law Conversion degree that you do after your bachelors that is the equivalent of a normal law bachelors and will enable you to practice law if you decide you want to pursue law during/after your non-law degree. Hope this helps x
Reply 2
There's no need to take 4.

My understanding is that universities are fine with Law as an A level for Law but it's definitely not required. Taking it might give you a better idea whether you want to study it at university, but there are other more generally useful A levels you could do instead.

Very few universities demand an essay subject for Law, and even if they do then Economics may well count. I've know people get into top universities for Law with, e,g, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French. Don't pick English or History unless you enjoy it and think you could do well in it.
You don't need Law A level to study Law at uni but equally they don't mind if people have taken the subject. Some unis do consider Economics & Business to be too closely linked, notably LSE.

There is no need to do 4 A levels anyway so in your situation I would stick with Maths, Economics & Law.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/open-day-july-2018-applying-to-LSE-slides.pdf
Original post by millieg0061
Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4 subjects. I would just make sure I have 3 strong grades. Law degrees don't particularly like Law A-level (shocking-I know) as it is seen as a soft subject and would much prefer English/History, a traditional essay based subject. Some unis even require an essay based subject. Unis also don't like you to do Business and Economics together. It seems like you don't enjoy law A-level particularly so I would strongly recommend swapping that out for English and perhaps drop Business if you're not that bothered by it. Ultimately, you need to pick A-levels you will enjoy and that will get you where you want to be. There is also such thing as a 1yr Law Conversion degree that you do after your bachelors that is the equivalent of a normal law bachelors and will enable you to practice law if you decide you want to pursue law during/after your non-law degree. Hope this helps x

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely look into it. :smile: I do think I'd be better at Law than I would be at English Lang, even though I got a 9 in E. Language, but I've heard A-level English also encompasses some of the stuff like the roots of the language and other such stuff so it's not just all about writing...don't think I'd be too good at that. My school was advising me to take 4 subjects which is why I was thinking of taking Business since I've heard its not too much work & is broad-based.

Original post by Compost
There's no need to take 4.

My understanding is that universities are fine with Law as an A level for Law but it's definitely not required. Taking it might give you a better idea whether you want to study it at university, but there are other more generally useful A levels you could do instead.

Very few universities demand an essay subject for Law, and even if they do then Economics may well count. I've know people get into top universities for Law with, e,g, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French. Don't pick English or History unless you enjoy it and think you could do well in it.

Thank you for the advice. :smile: As you said, the reason I'm taking Law is that I think I would do better at it than English, and certainly better at it than History. My sole purpose for taking Business as a 4th subject is that I felt its a subject that won't cause too much burden, since Math, Econ & Law are burdensome enough and I don't wanna risk tanking all 3 just to fit a 4th subject in, and it's the only subject apart that's somewhat related to my other subjects. Apart from Business, my other options are realistically soft-subjects like Psychology, Sociology, Global Perspectives (Pre-U), Accounting or English Lang / Lit. History is off the table. :biggrin:

Original post by harrysbar
You don't need Law A level to study Law at uni but equally they don't mind if people have taken the subject. Some unis do consider Economics & Business to be too closely linked, notably LSE.

There is no need to do 4 A levels anyway so in your situation I would stick with Maths, Economics & Law.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Assets/PDF/open-day-july-2018-applying-to-LSE-slides.pdf

Thank you for the link & advice, this will be an interesting read. :smile: As has become abundantly clear, Business serves no clear benefit so I am actually considering dropping it, but is there any apparent disadvantage to keeping it? Does anyone know if it is the type of subject to distract me from my main subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest