The Student Room Group

German VS Psychology A Level

I really don’t know which one to do, I find them both so interesting. I’m also doing English Lit and history
Original post by Soph975
I really don’t know which one to do, I find them both so interesting. I’m also doing English Lit and history

Think about which one will be more useful to you in your future career / life. Do you want to do anything in Germany - live, work etc? Psychology is probably a more rounded subject as you cover a lot in it including biology.
How did you find them interesting? Through gcse or your own research?
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
How did you find them interesting? Through gcse or your own research?

I found German interesting through GCSE and psychology interesting through my own research
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Think about which one will be more useful to you in your future career / life. Do you want to do anything in Germany - live, work etc? Psychology is probably a more rounded subject as you cover a lot in it including biology.

I have no idea what I’d like to do, but I love Germany
Original post by Soph975
I found German interesting through GCSE and psychology interesting through my own research

Look at the exam structure of both and the topics you learn, especially in german, because you might like the topics but you might not like the way they assess the subject. For example, I do like German but I would not handle it at A level, especially some of the ways its assessed.
Original post by Soph975
I have no idea what I’d like to do, but I love Germany

I did German at A level, it was fun but it was also harder than I expected. At A level they expect you to know the grammar really well, obviously you learn as you go and you also learn a bit about the history of Germany which is really interesting, but yeah be aware. If you like German then go for it if you want to do it, you will learn the language pretty well. Plus a lot of employers like German I think. As long as you research your decision and are happy then you can go with either/the one you enjoy more.
What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 8
Hi, I take psychology A-Level (but I don't take any language, so I might be biased), but I really love it !!
I find the subject to be really interesting and sometimes when you come across something that fascinates you it makes the subject so much easier to learn from and revise and whatnot, and fortunately a lot of the stuff is fascinating. Personally, I find looking at the way people might respond because of situations really cool because of the way thought process work.

You mentioned you're thinking about English Lit too (which I also take), and I mean depending on the texts you study, psychology ties into it quite a bit. For example, we're studying Hamlet where the Freudian complex could be used to explain Hamlet's feelings and actions toward his mothers marriage.

Obviously it's also good to take what you want to do in the future into account, however, I never knew (still don't) what I wanted to do, so if that's the case for you, pick which one you'd rather do based on your enjoyment of the subject.
But if you really can't decide you could take 4 subjects and then drop one (or continue all 4 if you can !!)

I really hope this helped !!!!
Reply 9
Original post by Oxford Mum
What do you want to study at uni?

I think law, but I’m not completely sure :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by wolfienati
I did German at A level, it was fun but it was also harder than I expected. At A level they expect you to know the grammar really well, obviously you learn as you go and you also learn a bit about the history of Germany which is really interesting, but yeah be aware. If you like German then go for it if you want to do it, you will learn the language pretty well. Plus a lot of employers like German I think. As long as you research your decision and are happy then you can go with either/the one you enjoy more.

I enjoyed GCSE German a lot! I’m so scared about the difficulty of the A Level though - I’m not very good at the grammar stuff. I ended up with a 9 at GCSE, but obvs I didn’t do any GCSE exams
Reply 11
Original post by yazksj
Hi, I take psychology A-Level (but I don't take any language, so I might be biased), but I really love it !!
I find the subject to be really interesting and sometimes when you come across something that fascinates you it makes the subject so much easier to learn from and revise and whatnot, and fortunately a lot of the stuff is fascinating. Personally, I find looking at the way people might respond because of situations really cool because of the way thought process work.

You mentioned you're thinking about English Lit too (which I also take), and I mean depending on the texts you study, psychology ties into it quite a bit. For example, we're studying Hamlet where the Freudian complex could be used to explain Hamlet's feelings and actions toward his mothers marriage.

Obviously it's also good to take what you want to do in the future into account, however, I never knew (still don't) what I wanted to do, so if that's the case for you, pick which one you'd rather do based on your enjoyment of the subject.
But if you really can't decide you could take 4 subjects and then drop one (or continue all 4 if you can !!)

I really hope this helped !!!!

Psychology does look so interesting - I really want to start with 4, but I’m not sure if my school will let me:frown:
Original post by Soph975
I enjoyed GCSE German a lot! I’m so scared about the difficulty of the A Level though - I’m not very good at the grammar stuff. I ended up with a 9 at GCSE, but obvs I didn’t do any GCSE exams

Honestly it's not that bad, you just need to be on top of it, as with any A level or things start piling up!
Original post by Soph975

Hey! I did French A-Level and I couldn't recommend A-Level languages enough! I took Engish Lit and History too, and whilst I nearly took Psychology as my third A-Level, I stuck with my passion and followed through with French. I'm so glad that I took an A-Level that developed an entirely new set of skills and the course was a refreshing break from the other essay and content intense subjects that I was taking. In terms of difficulty, there's definitely a jump from GCSE to A-Level, but if your teacher submitted you for a 9 then you'll be more than capable of succeeding. I got an 8 at GCSE and ended up with an A* and I wouldn't say that French was any more difficult than my other subjects. You definitely need to take the initiative to be independent with your learning, but if you do then A-Level languages can be so rewarding. I can now confidently hold a conversation in French and enjoy reading books and articles in that language without any difficulty!

Putting my biased opinion aside, listen to your heart. It's a cliché, but if you're not interested in your subject, you won't do well. It seems like you enjoy both German and psychology though, so the choice is yours. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Hey! I did French A-Level and I couldn't recommend A-Level languages enough! I took Engish Lit and History too, and whilst I nearly took Psychology as my third A-Level, I stuck with my passion and followed through with French. I'm so glad that I took an A-Level that developed an entirely new set of skills and the course was a refreshing break from the other essay and content intense subjects that I was taking. In terms of difficulty, there's definitely a jump from GCSE to A-Level, but if your teacher submitted you for a 9 then you'll be more than capable of succeeding. I got an 8 at GCSE and ended up with an A* and I wouldn't say that French was any more difficult than my other subjects. You definitely need to take the initiative to be independent with your learning, but if you do then A-Level languages can be so rewarding. I can now confidently hold a conversation in French and enjoy reading books and articles in that language without any difficulty!

Putting my biased opinion aside, listen to your heart. It's a cliché, but if you're not interested in your subject, you won't do well. It seems like you enjoy both German and psychology though, so the choice is yours. :smile:

Thank you! Congrats on the A*. I’m so tempted to take German (along with English and history) - I do think that languages are fantastic and so useful and I think that I would be more likely to use German in the future, so maybe I should stick with my gut instinct :biggrin: German was my favourite GCSE , so i think I’ll try it
Reply 15
Original post by wolfienati
Honestly it's not that bad, you just need to be on top of it, as with any A level or things start piling up!

Ok thank you:smile: I’m going to choose German and hope that it doesn’t get too impossible!
Reply 16
Original post by Soph975
Psychology does look so interesting - I really want to start with 4, but I’m not sure if my school will let me:frown:

How come they might not let you ??
Original post by Soph975
Thank you! Congrats on the A*. I’m so tempted to take German (along with English and history) - I do think that languages are fantastic and so useful and I think that I would be more likely to use German in the future, so maybe I should stick with my gut instinct :biggrin: German was my favourite GCSE , so i think I’ll try it

In that case, I'd say go for it! Languages at A-Level are so much more fun than GCSE too- it will be so rewarding and satisfying when you start conversing in German with your classmates! :biggrin:

I also saw on another post that you're interested in Law? There are some universities that do qualifying Law with German Law degrees that you might be interested in which would give you a few more options. These degrees cover the same content as an ordinary LLB degree but some optional modules are swapped out for German Law modules. In your third year, you'll be able to go to Germany to further improve your language skills too! So if you're thinking about going into Law, A-Level German would be able to keep some doors open for you and would be an impressive A-Level regardless. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by yazksj
How come they might not let you ??

On the open evening they said that we should only choose 3, but i guess I might as well ask if I can try 4 :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by aconstanthamlet
In that case, I'd say go for it! Languages at A-Level are so much more fun than GCSE too- it will be so rewarding and satisfying when you start conversing in German with your classmates! :biggrin:

I also saw on another post that you're interested in Law? There are some universities that do qualifying Law with German Law degrees that you might be interested in which would give you a few more options. These degrees cover the same content as an ordinary LLB degree but some optional modules are swapped out for German Law modules. In your third year, you'll be able to go to Germany to further improve your language skills too! So if you're thinking about going into Law, A-Level German would be able to keep some doors open for you and would be an impressive A-Level regardless. :smile:

That sounds really good! My German teacher actually told me about combining German with law too! I feel as though it would be a more useful A Level for me, personally because I have family in Germany, so I travel there a fair bit :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest