The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is QMUL a good university? How does it compare to KCL, UCL?

Never really considered QMUL before because I was under the assumption that it wasn't a very well recognised university (quite dumb of me to believe my friend's word and not do my research but oh well). But I'm starting to consider it as an option. Any opinions? (I want to study Law)
Original post by chloenix
Never really considered QMUL before because I was under the assumption that it wasn't a very well recognised university (quite dumb of me to believe my friend's word and not do my research but oh well). But I'm starting to consider it as an option. Any opinions? (I want to study Law)

QMUL is a Russel group university so is in the same league as UCL, KCL, imperial etc. I think what puts some people off is that it is located in east London (which is considered as a less nice area of London). But it is a very good school, I’m not sure about their law course, and has a fantastic reputation
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by spacegirl3
QMUL is a Russel group university so is in the same league as UCL, KCL, imperial etc. I think what puts some people off is that it is located in east London (which is considered as a less nice area of London). But it is a very good school, I’m not sure about their law course, and has a fantastic reputation

Oh great thank you so much! I think I might consider applying there then :smile: Is it in a rough place?
Oh great thank you so much! I think I might consider applying there then :smile: Is it in a rough place?

Not really but other universities are in better ones. Like I said it’s a great university and I know people who have really enjoyed their time there
It's fine. It's certainly not a 'top' university in the same league as Kings or UCL, but it is RG. The east end of London is a bit... interesting, though.

It is a pretty rough area as far as I know. East London generally is imo but I’m not sure specifically about the uni as I live quite far so I wouldn’t be able to say. Maybe @Mesopotamian. can help?
Reply 6
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
It is a pretty rough area as far as I know. East London generally is imo but I’m not sure specifically about the uni as I live quite far so I wouldn’t be able to say. Maybe @Mesopotamian. can help?

Okay thank you!! :smile:
Original post by Chopinnocturne31

QMUL as a university is good, it has lots of student support available, some very good lecturers and staff and good facilities and study areas (especially the Mile End campus which I presume is where you’ll be for law).

As Chopin said, it’s in East London which is not the best of places in London with beggars, drug users and general weirdos a common sighting, however it’s very close to central London and Stratford (Westfield) so there are positives to the location.
Since you’re studying law, you’ll be at the Mile End campus which is much better than the Whitechapel campus eyesore at least.

Btw this is just my opinion since I’m not from East London. A lot of students like the area (generally those from East London lol) but the university itself is quite safe and outweighs the negatives of the location. I’d definitely recommend considering it, maybe attend virtual open days or talk to student reps from the uni :smile:

I can’t give any insight into how it compares against KCL or UCL for law as that isn’t my area of expertise sorry! But KCL is very central in the London Bridge area in terms of location. UCL is also central although I can’t remember it’s exact location, sorry.
Reply 8
Original post by Mesopotamian.
QMUL as a university is good, it has lots of student support available, some very good lecturers and staff and good facilities and study areas (especially the Mile End campus which I presume is where you’ll be for law).

As Chopin said, it’s in East London which is not the best of places in London with beggars, drug users and general weirdos a common sighting, however it’s very close to central London and Stratford (Westfield) so there are positives to the location.
Since you’re studying law, you’ll be at the Mile End campus which is much better than the Whitechapel campus eyesore at least.

Btw this is just my opinion since I’m not from East London. A lot of students like the area (generally those from East London lol) but the university itself is quite safe and outweighs the negatives of the location. I’d definitely recommend considering it, maybe attend virtual open days or talk to student reps from the uni :smile:

I can’t give any insight into how it compares against KCL or UCL for law as that isn’t my area of expertise sorry! But KCL is very central in the London Bridge area in terms of location. UCL is also central although I can’t remember it’s exact location, sorry.

Wow this is fantastic thank you so much for your help!

I think I might take a day trip to visit the surrounding areas or something just so I can get a feel for the area. I googled the Mile End campus and it looks great so that's a positive :smile:
Wow this is fantastic thank you so much for your help!

I think I might take a day trip to visit the surrounding areas or something just so I can get a feel for the area. I googled the Mile End campus and it looks great so that's a positive :smile:

That’s a good idea! Also I forgot to mention that the Mile End Campus has Regents canal running through it and a park just across the road, with a few restaurants and cafes and shops both on campus and around so it isn’t too bad by day :biggrin:
It’s mostly Whitechapel I’d stay clear of, but since you’re not studying medicine or dentistry you should be fine :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Mesopotamian.
That’s a good idea! Also I forgot to mention that the Mile End Campus has Regents canal running through it and a park just across the road, with a few restaurants and cafes and shops both on campus and around so it isn’t too bad by day :biggrin:
It’s mostly Whitechapel I’d stay clear of, but since you’re not studying medicine or dentistry you should be fine :smile:

Great thank you so much again :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending