The Student Room Group

is starting uni aged 20 too old?

hey there,
i have been made to defer for a year by my doctor due to my mental health - i have a place at a top russell group to study law
however, due to when my bday falls, i will therefore be 20 when i start uni. is this bad and will it make me less likely to develop friendships?
of course 20 isnt too old at all. it’s not even “old”. you’ll be fine.
Original post by Anonymous
hey there,
i have been made to defer for a year by my doctor due to my mental health - i have a place at a top russell group to study law
however, due to when my bday falls, i will therefore be 20 when i start uni. is this bad and will it make me less likely to develop friendships?

No you will be fine.
Reply 3
hey there,

No.
hey there,

No it’s completely fine! I found the majority have not come straight from school, and are usually around 19-21! Also there’s no reason you wouldn’t develop friendships with 18 year olds, there’s not much of a gap!
hey there,

nope you'd be surprised how many ppl take gap years so they wont all be 18
hey there,

Hi there!

I hope you're doing well.

You will absolutely make friends! Don't worry about that, people start university at all different stages in their lives :smile:

I wish you the best of luck with your university experience, you'll do great!

Becky
hey there,

Hi!!

No - 20 is not old at all! There are many students who took a gap year, or who decided to go university later. In my first year, I had 9 flatmates of which two of them were 20 :smile:

Some of my friends in my course were 20/21 as well :smile: So do not stress - you'll be fine and you will not be the only one:smile:

Marlena - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending