The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

**UPDATED FOR 2024 ENTRY**

Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending) - check thisone out as their website is not 100% clear, but I read it as this still being the case
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting, need A*AA after resit)
Manchester, (ABB first sitting and A*A*A after resits with A*in resat subject(s))
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting or apply with achieved grades, if lower)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (need AAB at first sitting)
Aston (no clear restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three; from 2022, only 1 subject resit allowed with AAB minimum first sit requirement)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Liverpool are saying that Autumn resits only will not be considered a resit (and presumably exempt from first sitting minimum grades). Their website says "Calculated grades (awarded in 2020) are considered to be equivalent to A-level grades and so we will consider your application based on the calculated grades declared. However applicants may choose to take A-levels. Both grades will stand and at Liverpool we would therefore use the best combined grades in decision making. Applicants from England, who choose to take A levels, will be expected to be taking their exams at the autumn sitting, should these be available.
However, please note that if you applied to us we may request clarification if you are sitting Alevel examinations this coming autumn, or in summer of 2021."

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have TWO threads??? :eek::dance::dancing::groovy:
Why would I mind?! Saves me typing it 50,000 times! Thank you :hugs:
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (no restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

many unis here want me to have abb or bbb in my first sitting to retake i got A*AB in my first sitting could i still apply to these and fix my B grade?
Original post by ElikwuA18
many unis here want me to have abb or bbb in my first sitting to retake i got A*AB in my first sitting could i still apply to these and fix my B grade?

well duh? right. it’s a minimum
Reply 4
Original post by ElikwuA18

Sure, as long as you make at least the grades mentioned, med schools would consider an application with new predicted grades at resit.
Some med schools will take your grades as they stand )dependent on subject) - Leicester (who would offer you a guaranteed interview if you meet some minimum requirements), Edge Hill and Liverpool, plus HYMS, Lancaster and Sheffield if you also have an EPQ at an A
Not sure if I will be able to explain my question properly.

This year A-levels students have not done the exam (so far), and students who are unhappy with the Algorithm result and/ or CAG result are sitting the Autumn exams.

My question is concerning these specific students: If for example, a student has A level (algorithm / CAG) result was ABB or BCC, and in Autumn Exam the result becomes AAA or A*AA will these students still be considered under as Resit criteria as these Autumn result will be first results.

So for eg. Sunderland needs AAB in first sit, will this student be able to apply to Sunderland? or Leicester. Shd this year A level not be considered as Resit in reality.
Original post by SpaceTravel
Not sure if I will be able to explain my question properly.

This year A-levels students have not done the exam (so far), and students who are unhappy with the Algorithm result and/ or CAG result are sitting the Autumn exams.

My question is concerning these specific students: If for example, a student has A level (algorithm / CAG) result was ABB or BCC, and in Autumn Exam the result becomes AAA or A*AA will these students still be considered under as Resit criteria as these Autumn result will be first results.

So for eg. Sunderland needs AAB in first sit, will this student be able to apply to Sunderland? or Leicester. Shd this year A level not be considered as Resit in reality.

At the moment it seems like each individual med school has their own take on it - as far as I can tell the vast majority seem to be considering autumn (and oftenish summer) 2021 as a first sitting but worth checking with the school individually?
Reply 7
Hi, edge hill university is asking for BBB for medicine with foundation year course. From my CAG I got given BBB. I originally applied to study pharmacy this year but decided to do October tests to get in to medicine. Do you think it's a possibility to apply and get into edge hill this or next year with my CAG grades?
Original post by Pesika
Hi, edge hill university is asking for BBB for medicine with foundation year course. From my CAG I got given BBB. I originally applied to study pharmacy this year but decided to do October tests to get in to medicine. Do you think it's a possibility to apply and get into edge hill this or next year with my CAG grades?

Well, if you have BBB in Bio, Chem and another subject you meet their A level requirements. The Foundation Year course has lots of other requirements, though (GCSEs, living in North West, various WP factors as here https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/medicine-with-foundation-year/tab/entry-criteria/) - do you meet those? You'll also need to sit the UCAT and perform well at interview, as the course only has 15 places!

@GANFYD any thoughts? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by becausethenight
Well, if you have BBB in Bio, Chem and another subject you meet their A level requirements. The Foundation Year course has lots of other requirements, though (GCSEs, living in North West, various WP factors as here https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/courses/medicine-with-foundation-year/tab/entry-criteria/) - do you meet those? You'll also need to sit the UCAT and perform well at interview, as the course only has 15 places!

@GANFYD any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

You are spot on, as usual
Original post by GANFYD
You are spot on, as usual

:ta:
Original post by becausethenight
At the moment it seems like each individual med school has their own take on it - as far as I can tell the vast majority seem to be considering autumn (and oftenish summer) 2021 as a first sitting but worth checking with the school individually?

Thank you for your reply.

Ideally, should this year's Autumn exam sitter be given a later date to send the UCAS form instead of the deadline of 15th October; maybe after the results come out in mid December, as they can choose the target Medical schools as per the results they achieve.

I understand medical schools need more time to co-ordinate interviews however this is an exceptional year, and forcing students to fill the choices when they will be considered as Resits by many schools, and they do not have own exam results at hand on 15th Oct is a bit unfair to this batch.

Thoughts!
Reply 12
Is it possible for me to apply for medicine this October as a person who is aiming to do their autum retakes this year?
Original post by Pesika
Is it possible for me to apply for medicine this October as a person who is aiming to do their autum retakes this year?

Yes. You'll apply with predicted grades for the autumn exams, as I understand it. Talk to your referee :smile:
Birmingham @GANFYD :smile:

If you did not receive an offer for 2020 entry, and are wondering how Centre-Assessed Grades (CAGs) will affect a future application:

If these grades meet our offer requirement we will not require examination results from Autumn or Summer exams. If our offer requirement is not met, we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

If you applied in 2019 and received an offer for 2020 entry, but your application was rejected:

For applicants who applied in 2019 and received a medicine offer from the University of Birmingham but were unsuccessful because of the results from the Centre-Assessed Grades, we will need to review a new UCAS application but we expect to make you an identical offer based on results from examinations in subjects taken either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021 (each subject must be examined in only one sitting). In these circumstances, we will not require a UCAT result, nor will we need to re-interview you. We will accept a combination of calculated and examination grades and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.
Reply 15
Original post by Laycity
Birmingham @GANFYD :smile:

If you did not receive an offer for 2020 entry, and are wondering how Centre-Assessed Grades (CAGs) will affect a future application:

If these grades meet our offer requirement we will not require examination results from Autumn or Summer exams. If our offer requirement is not met, we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

If you applied in 2019 and received an offer for 2020 entry, but your application was rejected:

For applicants who applied in 2019 and received a medicine offer from the University of Birmingham but were unsuccessful because of the results from the Centre-Assessed Grades, we will need to review a new UCAS application but we expect to make you an identical offer based on results from examinations in subjects taken either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021 (each subject must be examined in only one sitting). In these circumstances, we will not require a UCAT result, nor will we need to re-interview you. We will accept a combination of calculated and examination grades and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

Thanks for sharing

This is going to become so complicated, and I really CBA to get my head around it for just one year.....

Any more info anywhere, please add it on here and we at least know where to direct people!

I can add:
Hull York medical school have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.
Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I am looking for information to help my son. He had an offer for medicine at Nottingham AAA but unfortunately he got ABC in his CAGs as his school did not inflate grades or give allowances for those applying for medicine even though they told him to prioritise medical interviews over mocks, with no right of appeal.
Nottingham have said that if he gets A's in Biology and Chemistry in October they will defer his place to 2021.His initial plan was to not do UCAT and go all out for the A's. He is now really struggling as he only has 6 weeks hasnt been in school for 6 months and didnt finish the syllabus. The dilemma is if he decides to do UCAT/BMAT and do summer exams it looks like no one will consider him with the C.
Please help, he is very stressed and I dont want to give him bad advice.
Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by David1ncholson
Hi I am looking for information to help my son. He had an offer for medicine at Nottingham AAA but unfortunately he got ABC in his CAGs as his school did not inflate grades or give allowances for those applying for medicine even though they told him to prioritise medical interviews over mocks, with no right of appeal.
Nottingham have said that if he gets A's in Biology and Chemistry in October they will defer his place to 2021.His initial plan was to not do UCAT and go all out for the A's. He is now really struggling as he only has 6 weeks hasnt been in school for 6 months and didnt finish the syllabus. The dilemma is if he decides to do UCAT/BMAT and do summer exams it looks like no one will consider him with the C.
Please help, he is very stressed and I dont want to give him bad advice.
Thanks

Will Nottingham let him do his exams in the Summer, or is it October or nothing?
They ususally accept resits and I cannot see that anywhere can enforce first sit minimums when people have not sat the exams at all.

Clarify with them if they will accept both sittings, or even just the Summer one.
If it is only October, he still has nothing to lose by doing both, as if he does not get the grades in Oct, he can have another go in Summer.
My understanding of how UCAS is going to work is that, just for this year, you can have 2 applications on the go at the same time (although not certain they have confirmed exactly how this will work) and you have to choose between the 2 by January.
So he could hold his Nottingham place, dependent on Oct exams but put in another application for 4 different med schools based on Summer exams, if he needs to sit them. Having said that, if he did, he would have to do the UCAT before October and that is going to be a push now.
Alternatively, he can hold his Nottingham place but if misses Oct grades and they will not allow Summer resits, he can reapply next yer with achieved grades in hand

is there a UCAS expert around you can call upin to advise how this is all going to work, please?
Reply 18
I know, but was hoping you might have one hiding up your TSR sleeve? (or at least know who to call upon?!)
Original post by GANFYD
Will Nottingham let him do his exams in the Summer, or is it October or nothing?
They ususally accept resits and I cannot see that anywhere can enforce first sit minimums when people have not sat the exams at all.

Clarify with them if they will accept both sittings, or even just the Summer one.
If it is only October, he still has nothing to lose by doing both, as if he does not get the grades in Oct, he can have another go in Summer.
My understanding of how UCAS is going to work is that, just for this year, you can have 2 applications on the go at the same time (although not certain they have confirmed exactly how this will work) and you have to choose between the 2 by January.
So he could hold his Nottingham place, dependent on Oct exams but put in another application for 4 different med schools based on Summer exams, if he needs to sit them. Having said that, if he did, he would have to do the UCAT before October and that is going to be a push now.
Alternatively, he can hold his Nottingham place but if misses Oct grades and they will not allow Summer resits, he can reapply next yer with achieved grades in hand

@ecolier is there a UCAS expert around you can call upin to advise how this is all going to work, please?

This is interesting as when I rang UCAS they said that my son could put his insurance and firm schools and add up to two more medical schools on the same application. I am just not sure how it works with new UCAT/BMAT. I will try and get something in writing tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending