The Student Room Group

do friendships always change from year 11 to year 12?

Hi, i’ve heard a few people say your friends
always change when you start year 12 and that it’s inevitable; but i’m really scared because i don’t want that to happen. even if we’re not all in the same forms or classes do you think we’ll remain friends or change friendship groups?

thanks x
Reply 1
Was not true for me. All my friends in year 11 stayed at my six form and we stayed friends in year 12.
can also back up i'm still friends with pretty much all my y11 friends! although we're not in a lot of the same classes we spend frees and lunches together. the only friends i've fallen out of touch with are ones who have moved away for sixth form who I was naturally drifting apart from anyway. I still talk to most poeple who moved away for sixth form though!
Reply 3
not always but most of the time. Like for example if your friendship group from year 11 are all going to the same school for year 12 then most of you will probably stay friends. But a lot of people move schools for sixth form so it’s inevitable that you meet new people and become friends with them. It’s nothing to worry about just see it as an opportunity to get to know new people :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ed H
Was not true for me. All my friends in year 11 stayed at my six form and we stayed friends in year 12.

thank you so much that’s really calmed me down about it all hahah
Friendships will change, it’s inevitable as people grow and their situations change it becomes harder and harder to hold on. You may realise that there are many people that you wouldn’t talk to if you didn’t have subjects or classes in common. When Sixth Form hits and everyone moves into smaller groups, friendships may gradually fade.

This isn’t bad though, of course those who you are really close with will still be there. However the way you interact is bound to change, if not now - in uni. Just because you aren’t talking as much does not change how close you are. Try to make the most of the moment, don’t worry about change.

If you want to keep something you have to fight for it, but if you find yourself losing contact or growing distant with someone - it might just be right.

Embrace change - who knows you might make new friends or get even closer with some, it’s not a bad thing.
Obviously if you move to a different sixth form then your social life is going to change. If you stay at the same institution, I doubt it will change much. You're old enough to maintain a friendship without being in the same classes all the time.

Personally I stayed at my old school for sixth form, and I didn't lose a single friend. I even made a few new ones because I mixed with people who I had little contact with before.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
can also back up i'm still friends with pretty much all my y11 friends! although we're not in a lot of the same classes we spend frees and lunches together. the only friends i've fallen out of touch with are ones who have moved away for sixth form who I was naturally drifting apart from anyway. I still talk to most poeple who moved away for sixth form though!

thank you so much! is the friendship strained in sixth form or different because you’re not in the same lessons at all if you don’t mind me asking
It did for me. A large majority of my friends ended up going to a college but I stayed at my school and went to its sixth-form. Don't get me wrong I still have Year 11 friends here but a lot of them left and the friendship simply died as a result.
Reply 9
Original post by Lime275
not always but most of the time. Like for example if your friendship group from year 11 are all going to the same school for year 12 then most of you will probably stay friends. But a lot of people move schools for sixth form so it’s inevitable that you meet new people and become friends with them. It’s nothing to worry about just see it as an opportunity to get to know new people :smile:

aghhh thank you! i just hope my friendship group ( only three of us) stays the same as we’re all going to the same sixth form
Reply 10
Original post by 15Characters...
Obviously if you move to a different sixth form then your social life is going to change. If you stay at the same institution, I doubt it will change much. You're old enough to maintain a friendship without being in the same classes all the time.

Personally I stayed at my old school for sixth form, and I didn't lose a single friend. I even made a few new ones because I mixed with people who I had little contact with before.

thank you so much!
Reply 11
Friendships will change, it’s inevitable as people grow and their situations change it becomes harder and harder to hold on. You may realise that there are many people that you wouldn’t talk to if you didn’t have subjects or classes in common. When Sixth Form hits and everyone moves into smaller groups, friendships may gradually fade.

This isn’t bad though, of course those who you are really close with will still be there. However the way you interact is bound to change, if not now - in uni. Just because you aren’t talking as much does not change how close you are. Try to make the most of the moment, don’t worry about change.

If you want to keep something you have to fight for it, but if you find yourself losing contact or growing distant with someone - it might just be right.

Embrace change - who knows you might make new friends or get even closer with some, it’s not a bad thing.

thanks! i just hope me and my two friends stay close and in the same group- do you think that’s possible or realistic?
It will probably depend on how many external students join the sixth form as well - if it’s quite a high percentage then things are more liable to change and vice versa
Original post by evie.e
thank you so much! is the friendship strained in sixth form or different because you’re not in the same lessons at all if you don’t mind me asking

I don't think it was at all! if anything being in different classes means you have more to talk about because you all have different stories of dumb stuff people do in class. for the most part I think if you want to keep a friendship, you'll put in the effort to keep seeing those people and you'll be fine! you'll likely make new friends just due to being in different environments and new people may join, but that shouldn't stop you from staying friends with people you've known for years
Reply 14
I don't think it was at all! if anything being in different classes means you have more to talk about because you all have different stories of dumb stuff people do in class. for the most part I think if you want to keep a friendship, you'll put in the effort to keep seeing those people and you'll be fine! you'll likely make new friends just due to being in different environments and new people may join, but that shouldn't stop you from staying friends with people you've known for years

that’s great tysm x
Hey, my high school didn’t have a sixth form so we all had to move to new places, and I felt the same way - I was scared that I would lose the friends that were going to a different college to me. There’s some people you’ll naturally drift from, but like everyone’s said that’s a natural thing and not always a bad thing. Having said that, I’m still in touch with all the people I wanted to stay friends with and it’s been a year since we’ve had any lessons together. Some of my best friends have gone to different places to me, and as much as I miss not seeing them every day, I think it’s actually made our friendship stronger because we have to put the effort in to make plans and stay in touch - if you’re just talking to someone because they’re in your class then it isn’t that close of a friendship. You meet new people at college and that’s great too, you get to hear more stories and make new memories, but the high school friends you’re close to won’t change if you both don’t want it to, so don’t worry!
Reply 16
Hey, my high school didn’t have a sixth form so we all had to move to new places, and I felt the same way - I was scared that I would lose the friends that were going to a different college to me. There’s some people you’ll naturally drift from, but like everyone’s said that’s a natural thing and not always a bad thing. Having said that, I’m still in touch with all the people I wanted to stay friends with and it’s been a year since we’ve had any lessons together. Some of my best friends have gone to different places to me, and as much as I miss not seeing them every day, I think it’s actually made our friendship stronger because we have to put the effort in to make plans and stay in touch - if you’re just talking to someone because they’re in your class then it isn’t that close of a friendship. You meet new people at college and that’s great too, you get to hear more stories and make new memories, but the high school friends you’re close to won’t change if you both don’t want it to, so don’t worry!

thank you so much that’s lovely to hear! we’re all going to the same sixth form and although we might not be in the same classes or forms, i do hope we stay friends ahahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending