The Student Room Group

PhD Question?

Does anyone have an idea of how competitive it is to get place on a funded PhD in human behaviour? So a topic which is quite inter-disciplinary and incorporates Biology, Psychology, Archaeology, Philosophy?

I have a 2.2 and a pass for MSc.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Does anyone have an idea of how competitive it is to get place on a funded PhD in human behaviour? So a topic which is quite inter-disciplinary and incorporates Biology, Psychology, Archaeology, Philosophy?

I'm in the Humanities rather than the Sciences but I think PhD funding is pretty competitive across the board, and even more so if you're seeking funding for your own research project or question.

That said, an inter-disciplinary topic that clearly identified a gap in existing knowledge and asks an interesting research question that attempts to fill that gap is a good starting point for attracting the attention of funding bodies!

You're probably best discussing your project idea with potential supervisors, and/or existing tutors from your MSc. They'll be able to help you hone your research question and project design to ensure that it has the best possible chance of attracting funding.

Amy :smile:
The requirements for UKRI PhD funding are a 1st at Bachelor's or a 2.1/Merit at Master's. In practice they are much more competitive and a 1st/High Merit at Master's level is needed. Other PhD funding tends to be even more competitive, and so a 1st/Distinction is typically expected. Getting funding with your grades would require substantial additional experience if it's even possible.
Original post by Bongo Bongo

Unfortunately, with your current qualifications, you would find it hard to get research council funding (which usually requires at least a 2.1 and Merit). A university may give you funding (of a kind) if you are able to demonstrate that you could succeed at PhD level, but you'll need to work hard to prove this.

You might be able to find funding for charities, relevant organisations etc. if they are interested in your project, but that would only be piecemeal and small amounts. The doctoral loan is an option if you have no other avenues to explore.
It borders between slim and none, and slim has left town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending