The Student Room Group

Civil Service Interview

Hi!

I've been given an interview for the Civil Service but I've just seen the feedback for my application and I only scored a 4, so now I'm worried that I'm only being interviewed because I'm classed as disabled. Is this a bad sign for the interview? It doesn't seem like I'll have much of a chance if my assessment score is anything to go by. Also, I have a PhD - does that increase my chances or will it hinder it? Thanks!
Original post by Moana92
Hi!

I've been given an interview for the Civil Service but I've just seen the feedback for my application and I only scored a 4, so now I'm worried that I'm only being interviewed because I'm classed as disabled. Is this a bad sign for the interview? It doesn't seem like I'll have much of a chance if my assessment score is anything to go by. Also, I have a PhD - does that increase my chances or will it hinder it? Thanks!

If you applied and declared a disability (did you have the option to apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, and said yes?) and met the required levels for tests and competency scoring then you’re automatically offered an interview.

However, you’ve met the required level, so you’ve also gotten it on merit. Don’t dwell on what ifs - so what? You’ve got an interview so go for it :smile:

Also, depending on what role you’ve gone for - some roles require certain qualifications and others don’t. I’ve interviewed for a work coach role and have a social work degree BUT nowhere during the application process was I required to list my qualifications - despite the fact it may be useful. The interview invite was based purely on test scores for verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests, written competencies and experience/examples given in interview. So my degree hasn’t even really been a factor and isn’t a prerequisite for the role.
Reply 2
Original post by PrittyVacant
If you applied and declared a disability (did you have the option to apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, and said yes?) and met the required levels for tests and competency scoring then you’re automatically offered an interview.

However, you’ve met the required level, so you’ve also gotten it on merit. Don’t dwell on what ifs - so what? You’ve got an interview so go for it :smile:

Also, depending on what role you’ve gone for - some roles require certain qualifications and others don’t. I’ve interviewed for a work coach role and have a social work degree BUT nowhere during the application process was I required to list my qualifications - despite the fact it may be useful. The interview invite was based purely on test scores for verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests, written competencies and experience/examples given in interview. So my degree hasn’t even really been a factor and isn’t a prerequisite for the role.

Thanks! I guess I'm hoping that someone will pop up and say 'I only got a 4 in my application, but I still got the job', although I think it's wishful thinking on my behalf!!
Reply 3
Original post by Moana92
Thanks! I guess I'm hoping that someone will pop up and say 'I only got a 4 in my application, but I still got the job', although I think it's wishful thinking on my behalf!!

Your application is based on limited information so be chuffed that you got a 4! It’s difficult to shine when you have a limited number of words to play with. You now have the opportunity to elaborate and strengthen your examples. When through to interview, your test scores and application are no longer considered. It’s all about the interview 😊 So give it your best shot 👍
Original post by Moana92

They won’t look at that marked competency again - that’s purely for the initial sift. If you get the job, it’ll be based on your interview :smile:
Original post by Moana92

I actually do know someone who applied under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme and got an interview following a score of 4. They also thought it was only because of the GIS that they got the interview, although that is literally the point of the GIS so it is nice to know it works! Anyway, they got the job, so don't doubt yourself!
Reply 6
Original post by nj4es
Your application is based on limited information so be chuffed that you got a 4! It’s difficult to shine when you have a limited number of words to play with. You now have the opportunity to elaborate and strengthen your examples. When through to interview, your test scores and application are no longer considered. It’s all about the interview 😊 So give it your best shot 👍

Original post by PrittyVacant
They won’t look at that marked competency again - that’s purely for the initial sift. If you get the job, it’ll be based on your interview :smile:

Original post by EeSeeTwoAy
I actually do know someone who applied under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme and got an interview following a score of 4. They also thought it was only because of the GIS that they got the interview, although that is literally the point of the GIS so it is nice to know it works! Anyway, they got the job, so don't doubt yourself!

Thank you everyone - that makes me feel much better! I've always been advised to be honest about not being the healthiest of people from the start so that they know that I may need some time to attend clinics etc but I was worried that that was the only reason that I was given an interview so thank you for making me feel better about it. I think that it's better that they give you a clean slate in the interview - I found it difficult to keep to 250 words, so I'll be able to explain things in more detail when I speak about my experiences.
Reply 7
Update: I had my interview 10 days ago, and really can't tell if it went well o'r not. I thought that I'd messed up a couple of the questions but the interviewer gave me a reassuring comment at the end which maybe I hadn't done as bad as I thought. Still waiting on the outcome though...!
Reply 8
Any appointment made in the Civil Service will be based on the interview score. You won't need to worry about the score at application as this shouldn't we taken Into account.
Original post by Moana92
Update: I had my interview 10 days ago, and really can't tell if it went well o'r not. I thought that I'd messed up a couple of the questions but the interviewer gave me a reassuring comment at the end which maybe I hadn't done as bad as I thought. Still waiting on the outcome though...!

How did you get on? I scored all 4s at my interview so unsure what to expect!

Quick Reply

Latest