The Student Room Group

How to organise my maths a level folder?

Starting year 12. Should I organise my maths folder by pure maths, stats and mechanics or a different method?

Scroll to see replies

yes u should organise your folders by this method only i am also doing the same it becomes easier this way when it comes to revising :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sarashie
yes u should organise your folders by this method only i am also doing the same it becomes easier this way when it comes to revising :smile:

So should I have one folder with three file dividers, one for each(ie pure, mechanics and stats)??
Whatever you prefer, this sounds sensible.
Original post by Fifty345
Starting year 12. Should I organise my maths folder by pure maths, stats and mechanics or a different method?

If your school uses a textbook for A-level maths, it will probably be useful to divide your folder by the chapters in the textbooks. Dividing by Pure, Stats, and Mechanics is fine, but since Pure is so big, you might find it hard to navigate if you don't have extra dividers.

Something else I have seen students do successfully for maths is to split the folder by 'type of notes' instead of my topic. So they had a section for the actual notes (theory / one or two worked examples per subtopic) and then a separate section for doing questions. This can work well because often when you're revising maths, you very rarely or never need to look back at your working out for textbook questions, but you often need to refer to your notes on theory and your worked examples.
Reply 5
Original post by bluebeetle
If your school uses a textbook for A-level maths, it will probably be useful to divide your folder by the chapters in the textbooks. Dividing by Pure, Stats, and Mechanics is fine, but since Pure is so big, you might find it hard to navigate if you don't have extra dividers.

Something else I have seen students do successfully for maths is to split the folder by 'type of notes' instead of my topic. So they had a section for the actual notes (theory / one or two worked examples per subtopic) and then a separate section for doing questions. This can work well because often when you're revising maths, you very rarely or never need to look back at your working out for textbook questions, but you often need to refer to your notes on theory and your worked examples.

Chapters? Right I haven’t started year 12 yet until next week so could u give me an example of this thanks
By the end of year 13, I had 2 lever arch folders with pure maths (1 folder per year) and 1 lever arch folder for all of stats and mechanics. I also had a separate, smaller folder for mock exams, end of topic tests, etc. The content was split up by topics which were laid out in the textbooks we had.
Reply 7
Original post by Emily5243
By the end of year 13, I had 2 lever arch folders with pure maths (1 folder per year) and 1 lever arch folder for all of stats and mechanics. I also had a separate, smaller folder for mock exams, end of topic tests, etc. The content was split up by topics which were laid out in the textbooks we had.

I might need more haha. I’m doing the entire maths a level in one year because I’m doing further.
I might need more haha. I’m doing the entire maths a level in one year because I’m doing further.

Oh I forgot - I actually had one more smaller folder as well as the others. And all of my folders were ready to burst! I only did maths (not further) so it was spread over both years
Chapters? Right I haven’t started year 12 yet until next week so could u give me an example of this thanks

Since you haven't started the A-level yet, perhaps it's best to wait to organise your folder until after your first lesson? Your teacher will probably either provide you access to a textbook, or give you a rundown of the structure of the course, and you can use this to inform your organisation.

In the textbook we use, I believe there are about 22 chapters, with about 14 for Pure and 4 each for Stats and Mechanics

Which board are you taking?
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
Which board are you taking?

Edexcel
Reply 12
Since you haven't started the A-level yet, perhaps it's best to wait to organise your folder until after your first lesson? Your teacher will probably either provide you access to a textbook, or give you a rundown of the structure of the course, and you can use this to inform your organisation.

In the textbook we use, I believe there are about 22 chapters, with about 14 for Pure and 4 each for Stats and Mechanics

Good idea thanks
Edexcel

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html

This is the specification so you can see how the exam papers are set out - see pages 5 and 6

Keep stats and mechanics separately - you also find this website useful: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

If you've done no prep yet look here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE.
So should I have one folder with three file dividers, one for each(ie pure, mechanics and stats)

i guess the syllabus is gonna be a lot so its better to make separate folders for each of them i have pure and stats so i have separate notebook for each so it prevents you from getting muddled up
Reply 15

Hi so i'm still a bit confused, i've seen a copy of the book, does this mean that there are 22 file dividers for pure. That's so much
Reply 16

sorry to disturb, in addition to my last reply, would you be able to pm me a pic or example of how you organise your folder, sorry i'm really keen to just get going because I am doing maths in just one year. Thanksssss
Hi so i'm still a bit confused, i've seen a copy of the book, does this mean that there are 22 file dividers for pure. That's so much

There's not really a hard and fast rule... But do bear in mind that A-levels are much bigger courses than GCSEs! So of course there are more 'parts' it breaks up into.

You can do dividers however you like though. I just think it's worth being aware that if you put all of Pure into one section, you might then find it hard to find specific topics, because Pure is about 2/3 of the whole AS course while Mechanics and Stats are each about 1/6.
sorry to disturb, in addition to my last reply, would you be able to pm me a pic or example of how you organise your folder, sorry i'm really keen to just get going because I am doing maths in just one year. Thanksssss

I'm a teacher, so I don't have one unfortunately!
Reply 19
There's not really a hard and fast rule... But do bear in mind that A-levels are much bigger courses than GCSEs! So of course there are more 'parts' it breaks up into.

You can do dividers however you like though. I just think it's worth being aware that if you put all of Pure into one section, you might then find it hard to find specific topics, because Pure is about 2/3 of the whole AS course while Mechanics and Stats are each about 1/6.

okay so would you say that having 22 file dividers for pure would be a good thing to do?

Quick Reply

Latest