The Student Room Group

are these good a-levels?

So I have just applied to these subjects in sixth form:
-Business Btec (takes up 2 A-Levels)
-History A-Level
is it okay if I only do these 2, or does it limit me?
would I be able to do law/international law or economics at university with these?
if not can someone suggest some subjects that would allow me to do that or just generally open doors for me

my other options could be
-History
-Economics
-Sociology
is this combination better?
Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 61818
-History A-Level
would I be able to do law/international law or economics at university with these?
if not can someone suggest some subjects that would allow me to do that or just generally open doors for me

-History
-Economics
-Sociology

Law yes as there are no subject requirements, although some of the elite unis might have an issue.
Economics yes, although some of the more competitive unis require maths A level.

You need to look at subjects , look at what interests you and you can get the best grades with least effort.

Try these.
Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Original post by 61818
-History A-Level

-History
-Economics
-Sociology

I think doing 3 a levels will look good especially for top unis
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Law yes as there are no subject requirements, although some of the elite unis might have an issue.
Economics yes, although some of the more competitive unis require maths A level.

You need to look at subjects , look at what interests you and you can get the best grades with least effort.

Try these.
Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Thank you for linking these websites they're really helpful.

So do you think taking my second possible combination is better? (History, Economics and Sociology and maybe Arabic as an extra one)
Original post by 61818

So do you think taking my second possible combination is better? (History, Economics and Sociology and maybe Arabic as an extra one)

Yes but its all about your best three grades.
The 4thb A level has limited value unless one of the 3 goes wrong, its maths, you can cope easily with the 3.
Reply 5
Original post by royalty1702
I think doing 3 a levels will look good especially for top unis

Yea, I'm considering changing to history, economics and sociology
or history, btec business and arabic
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 61818

Hi!

I would recommend that History, economics and sociology would be a great combination. You are covering a variety of bases here, I took history sociology and English and therefore there were a lot of essays, but economics (whilst a difficult subject) may be a nice change from the heavy essay-based other subjects. This combination can lead to a number of different job opportunities and degree choices so I would suggest this instead of business, unless you are really set on business of course!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

I would recommend that History, economics and sociology would be a great combination. You are covering a variety of bases here, I took history sociology and English and therefore there were a lot of essays, but economics (whilst a difficult subject) may be a nice change from the heavy essay-based other subjects. This combination can lead to a number of different job opportunities and degree choices so I would suggest this instead of business, unless you are really set on business of course!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice I actually really appreciate it. I just emailed my school asking to change my subjects to History, Sociology and Economics. I only chose business because I didn't know what else to do but now I think it's better for me to do the other subjects instead.
Reply 8
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi!

Sophie - Official Student Rep

Original post by 61818
Thank you so much for your advice I actually really appreciate it. I just emailed my school asking to change my subjects to History, Sociology and Economics. I only chose business because I didn't know what else to do but now I think it's better for me to do the other subjects instead.

Hey, so I just got an email from my school saying that economics and sociology are full :frown:
Hi I need urgent help ASAP.My subs are economics and law and I have to choose between history or business.I’ll either be studying in the UK or US.Plus I’ll be doing anything in the future except engineering or medicine etc as u can see from my subs...so please help me out and like also a subject amongst those which universities prefer aswell.Some say business is an unacceptable Alevel which I don’t even think is true .Thought i know that grades trump subject combination in Alevels.Also I want to know that can I take Economics,history and law and get admission into a business major course or will I need business Alevel for that.
Reply 10
Hi, so i actually ended up picking business btec and history and they’re going great. If you wanna do law in the future you dont have to take law now you can take english and history and evem economics. business is really good and it is respected. you can definitely take economic history and law and still get into business. and if you need more guidance look at university websites and see the specific requirements for the course that you want.i hope that helped :smile:
Original post by 61818
-History A-Level

-History
-Economics
-Sociology

I'd check the courses you are thinking of on unis websites to check their requirements
Original post by 61818
-History A-Level

-History
-Economics
-Sociology

I'd say doing 2 limits you, yes. If you wanted to do a degree in one of those subjects, you'd want to open up as many doors as possible and do 3. You'd have to do some research on unis that do that course - see what they require just to get an idea.

But yes, I'd assume they'd like History to be on there. If you want to do economics at uni, then do it at a level! Politics might be good too maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest