The Student Room Group

Composing music for GCSE

I was told to start my composition for my music GCSE during lockdown but I've got no idea how to start it or what I should put in it. I'm going into Year 11 in September and I don't want to leave it any later than I have to.
hey, I do A Level Music :smile:

first, think about the type of music you're really passionate about or, perhaps, that you would like to discover further. either way, you really need to have a balance of knowledge and passion to create successful compositions.

next, i like to come up with my main motif or melody line. this also helps me get a rough idea of the structure of my piece. (i'm not sure which exam board you're doing so you'll have to check what the duration of your composition needs to be)

how good is your theory? if you struggle with basic harmony like building chords and stuff, you might wanna brush up on this. there are a lot of good sites to help with this, and it's actually way easier than it looks :smile:

also, cheeky tip: take a look on Youtube for ideas. lots of people have uploaded their GCSE compositions and it's nice to see the level of quality you should aspire to

it's kinda difficult to give advice when i'm not sure of the genre/era/style you're thinking of. if you have anything, let me know and i'll try to help further!!

good luck love
Original post by bassplayer347
hey, I do A Level Music :smile:

first, think about the type of music you're really passionate about or, perhaps, that you would like to discover further. either way, you really need to have a balance of knowledge and passion to create successful compositions.

next, i like to come up with my main motif or melody line. this also helps me get a rough idea of the structure of my piece. (i'm not sure which exam board you're doing so you'll have to check what the duration of your composition needs to be)

how good is your theory? if you struggle with basic harmony like building chords and stuff, you might wanna brush up on this. there are a lot of good sites to help with this, and it's actually way easier than it looks :smile:

also, cheeky tip: take a look on Youtube for ideas. lots of people have uploaded their GCSE compositions and it's nice to see the level of quality you should aspire to

it's kinda difficult to give advice when i'm not sure of the genre/era/style you're thinking of. if you have anything, let me know and i'll try to help further!!

good luck love

Thanks. I haven't started it yet so I'll take a look on Youtube to see the sort of things others have done and start from there

Quick Reply

Latest