The Student Room Group

A-Level English Literature or Psychology?

I’m supposed to be choosing my subjects in 1 week and im still unsure if i should take English Lit or Psychology. I’d like to know which one is more interesting or easy so that I wouldn’t have to be so stressed? I’m thinking about being a Primary School Teacher in the future, so which one would help me achieve that career?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaraSophiaD
I’m supposed to be choosing my subjects in 2 weeks and im still unsure if i should take English Lit or Psychology. I’d like to know which one is more interesting or easy so that I wouldn’t have to be so stressed? I’m thinking about being a Primary School Teacher in the future, so which one would help me achieve that career?

Literature.
Reply 2
Original post by Cheesecake04
Literature.

Is there any reason why i should choose Literature? :confused:
Is there any reason why i should choose Literature? :confused:

I would recommend it as even though it is quite a hard subject it will allow you to go to university as it is more respected than psychology.
I would recommend it as even though it is quite a hard subject it will allow you to go to university as it is more respected than psychology.

More respected? What makes you say that
Original post by Ensoetre
More respected? What makes you say that

As it is a harder course they appreciate that you would of done the qualification and it is also a requirement for some university’s just to get into a course.
Reply 6
Personally I would go with Psychology, unless you love reading books(Fictional ones at that) English Lit at A level will be boring as ****
Reply 7
as someone who has done both English lit and psychology, I strongly recommend psychology and only going for English if you really and truly love the subject. I found that at times English lit can be really draining and leads to the occasional mental breakdown here and there. (but with that being said I am a perfectionist).

psychology is really interesting and for me it was the easiest subject out of the 3 I chose. I loved the content and if you just keep ur notes and revision up to date, I don't see why you wouldn't get an A or A*.

As for which subject is more respected? it actually doesn't matter. TRUST ME. Do whatever you love and don't be swayed by the so called 'respectability' of a subject.

I hope this helped xx
Reply 8
Original post by u4018
as someone who has done both English lit and psychology, I strongly recommend psychology and only going for English if you really and truly love the subject. I found that at times English lit can be really draining and leads to the occasional mental breakdown here and there. (but with that being said I am a perfectionist).

psychology is really interesting and for me it was the easiest subject out of the 3 I chose. I loved the content and if you just keep ur notes and revision up to date, I don't see why you wouldn't get an A or A*.

As for which subject is more respected? it actually doesn't matter. TRUST ME. Do whatever you love and don't be swayed by the so called 'respectability' of a subject.

I hope this helped xx

Thank you! This was really helpful :h:
Psychology
As it is a harder course they appreciate that you would of done the qualification and it is also a requirement for some university’s just to get into a course.

Personally I don’t agree with you but okay 😌
I’d say do psychology 😌 I didn’t take English Lit so I can only speak for psychology. Unless you need English for the course you’ll do at uni I wouldn’t take it. Psychology is very interesting and since you wanna be a primary school teacher I’m sure you’d be interested in the child psychology topic
I’d say do psychology 😌 I didn’t take English Lit so I can only speak for psychology. Unless you need English for the course you’ll do at uni I wouldn’t take it. Psychology is very interesting and since you wanna be a primary school teacher I’m sure you’d be interested in the child psychology topic

i saw there's a lot to take in, do you think that'll be tough? is there any tips you could give me?
i saw there's a lot to take in, do you think that'll be tough? is there any tips you could give me?

Well do you know what exam board you’ll be doing?
Well do you know what exam board you’ll be doing?

i'm doing AQA
i'm doing AQA

Ahh I acc did OCR but from my understanding AQA doesn’t require you to know as much so you’ll be fine. Like in OCR we had to memorise 20+ studies I don’t believe you do that in AQA. I’d definitely say stay on top of your work don’t let it pile up. Psychology is only hard if you make it hard for yourself.
Ahh I acc did OCR but from my understanding AQA doesn’t require you to know as much so you’ll be fine. Like in OCR we had to memorise 20+ studies I don’t believe you do that in AQA. I’d definitely say stay on top of your work don’t let it pile up. Psychology is only hard if you make it hard for yourself.

I see, thank you for the advice anyway! 🤗
I’m supposed to be choosing my subjects in 1 week and im still unsure if i should take English Lit or Psychology. I’d like to know which one is more interesting or easy so that I wouldn’t have to be so stressed? I’m thinking about being a Primary School Teacher in the future, so which one would help me achieve that career?

english lit has more respect and seems more suitable for you by the sounds of things
i don’t do english lit but i do psychology and as someone who loved english at gcse i love writing essays and that’s mainly what half the psychology paper will be. psychology was really my easiest subject and while it’s a lot of content, it’s really interesting and it all makes sense! a little tip if you do choose psych: i made little flashcards for each topic and memorised then all and that improved my grades from C to an A*! good luck in whatever you choose!
If you want to spice up your UCAS application, definitely English Literature. It's also more fun. I dropped out Psychology because of how boring and useless it was. It's more of a enjoyable subject to be explored in your free time, but the A Level certainly makes you hate it. The skills you get from such a saturated field aren't as transferable as an English degree or A Level qualification anyway..

Quick Reply

Latest