The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor_Wormhole
I’m pretty much stuck. Have 3 projects relevant to my course but like the I haven’t still figured out the exact reason for applying. For some reasons, my motivation to study the course seems convincing to me but might not be that convincing for someone else. So I’m not happy with the draft i have in my mind. And idk what to do

I’m afraid I can’t offer much in this regard apart from have confidence in yourself. Your conviction will come across in your application. I’m sure your reasons are sound, and maybe it would help to run it by a personal tutor or professor in an appointment/email if you still feel unsure? Also, I think an application doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect, because if you were perfect already then why take their Master’s? They are looking for talent, hard work and doctoral potential, which I’m certain you can help prove with your array of projects.
(edited 3 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by KristinaMaria
Hello everyone! Oxford is my first choice but I'm a bit nervous as I'm not coming from a Russell Group Uni/Top Tier Uni and my undergraduate degree is different to what I'm applying for as a master's but hopefully there's still a chance!

- Current University: University of Sussex
- Current Course: Law with American Studies (with a year abroad)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (with a 3.99 GPA on my year abroad in the US)
- Prospective Course: MSt History
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Edinburgh, Glasgow and Sussex

Hi Kristina!
Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement. I have just completed my undergraduate degree from a non-Russell Group uni (UEA) where I did American Literature and Creative Writing as a part of their American Studies programme. I am starting at Oxford on the MSt History [US strand] in October. The competition is fierce of course, but being from a non-RG background (and indeed slightly changing subject area e.g. American Studies to History) will not put you immediately out of contention. Coincidentally, I also applied to Edinburgh and also received an offer for their History course too, so let this advice hold true for both universities. Good luck in your application!
Original post by strangewwways
I’m afraid I can’t offer much in this regard apart from have confidence in yourself. Your conviction will come across in your application. I’m sure your reasons are sound, and maybe it would help to run it by a personal tutor or professor in an appointment/email if you still feel unsure? Also, I think an application doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect, because if you were perfect already then why take their Master’s? They are looking for talent, hard work and doctoral potential, which I’m certain you can help prove with your array of projects.

Yeah makes sense! Thank you so much!
Hi everyone! I graduated from my undergraduate degree last November and have been working in a lab since then. I going to try to apply to Oxford so would be good to share experiences with other people in the same position! :smile: Good luck to all!

- Current University: Coventry Univeristy
- Current Course: Human Biosciences
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MSc Neuroscience
- Other Universities you’re applying to: UCL,
Original post by emmathereader
Hi Kristina!
Just wanted to give you a bit of encouragement. I have just completed my undergraduate degree from a non-Russell Group uni (UEA) where I did American Literature and Creative Writing as a part of their American Studies programme. I am starting at Oxford on the MSt History [US strand] in October. The competition is fierce of course, but being from a non-RG background (and indeed slightly changing subject area e.g. American Studies to History) will not put you immediately out of contention. Coincidentally, I also applied to Edinburgh and also received an offer for their History course too, so let this advice hold true for both universities. Good luck in your application!

Hello Emma!
That's really great to hear and certainly gives me hope for both Oxford and Edinburgh. I hope you have a fantastic time on the course this year!
Hi all :smile: Any neuroscience peeps out here?

- Current University: RG
- Current Course: Neuroscience
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st class
- Prospective Course: 1+3 DPhil Neuroscience and/or MSc Neuroscience, MSc Clinical & Therapeutic Neuroscience
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, UCL, Edin, King's
I'm so excited I finally get to participate in one of these threads:biggrin:

Current university: GO8 in Australia (similar to RG)
Current course: B Psych Science (Hons)
Achieved/Expected Grade: First
Prospective Course: MSc Psychological Research
Other universities you're applying to: Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Harvard, Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, Boston U
Original post by endophenotypes
Hi all :smile: Any neuroscience peeps out here?

- Current University: RG
- Current Course: Neuroscience
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st class
- Prospective Course: 1+3 DPhil Neuroscience and/or MSc Neuroscience, MSc Clinical & Therapeutic Neuroscience
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, UCL, Edin, King's

Hi! I'm looking to apply for Neuroscience too! Have you started your application yet as they open tomorrow for Oxford 😬
Reply 28
Anyone applying for the OMMS?

- Current University: King's College London
- Current Course: BSc Mathematics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (91 avg in second year but 77 in first year lol)
- Prospective Course: MSc Mathematical Sciences
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial MSc Pure Maths
So, Oxford opened their applications today!!! I'd love to apply right now as I'm that kind of person lol

When do others plan to apply?

I know Oxbridge application advice says to apply as early as possible as courses can fill up, but I'm going into the last year of my UG degree so I realistically won't be applying till late November/December. Hopefully anyway and this seems like an average time to apply so I'm not crazy worried. I'm 100% applying but I've 0% of my application ready for submission lol! For my prospective course (MSc in Education (Research Design and Methodology)) I need 3 references so that's the main thing I have to wait for, as for one of them I plan to ask my dissertation supervisor, who I haven't been assigned yet!
Reply 30
Original post by SaxaDeans
So, Oxford opened their applications today!!! I'd love to apply right now as I'm that kind of person lol

When do others plan to apply?

I know Oxbridge application advice says to apply as early as possible as courses can fill up, but I'm going into the last year of my UG degree so I realistically won't be applying till late November/December. Hopefully anyway and this seems like an average time to apply so I'm not crazy worried. I'm 100% applying but I've 0% of my application ready for submission lol! For my prospective course (MSc in Education (Research Design and Methodology)) I need 3 references so that's the main thing I have to wait for, as for one of them I plan to ask my dissertation supervisor, who I haven't been assigned yet!

I think the hardest part of the application to sort out is the 3 references. Im not going to be able to apply before the beginning of October because of that, but like you im trying to sort it out as soon as possible.

The other thing is the personal statement which im in the process of redrafting too
I haven't yet asked my references to write me letters and am planning to do it next week- so it'll just depend on when they get that done! Hopefully I will be applying in the beginning of October, though- I think I read on last year's thread that they have different deadlines throughout the year so not sure if it matters as long as you apply by each one?
Reply 32
Hello! From South East Asia, and shooting my shot for Oxford CDTs. We all miss those we don't take, or those we are grossly unqualified for. Eh.

Current university: Currently finishing up my Masters thesis, aiming to finish in late 2020 or early 2021, in Thailand!
Current course: Data Science for Healthcare (basically medical statistics, but emphasizing in machine learning stuffs)
Achieved grade: All courses are finished and graded but somehow thesis will get graded as well. pretty sure 2.1, 2.2 at worst?
Prospective course: EPSRC CDT Health Data Science
Other universities you're applying to: I was also gonna applied to Carnegie Mellon for their Machine Learning PhD, but this course seems to be more in my principle. Not sure yet, but started my process for collecting materials, and submit by December?

Also it seems this year research council studentships (UKRI) are applicable for international students as well, so crossing my fingers for that too.
Original post by petrichororange
I haven't yet asked my references to write me letters and am planning to do it next week- so it'll just depend on when they get that done! Hopefully I will be applying in the beginning of October, though- I think I read on last year's thread that they have different deadlines throughout the year so not sure if it matters as long as you apply by each one?

These things are course dependent, so check the website for specifics, but courses typically have different deadlines for being considered for scholarships, funding etc. and for getting a place on the course.

As in to be eligible to be considered for scholarships/funding you have to have applied by a November or January deadline. If you miss that you can still apply for the course until March, you'll just be out of running for funding. However, for many courses, the funding and place on course deadline is the same, as in, there is no deadline after January. On the flip side, some courses can also still be open to applications after March if they are not full.

Most course deadlines are on a Friday at 12.00 midday UK time and Oxford recommend applying as early as possible or by the January deadline, particularly if you have to get a visa, are requesting an application fee waiver because you are resident in a low-income country, or you are declaring a disability or long-term health condition (That is to help them with the college admission process and making sure the college has the adaptations the student requires, like ramps etc.). They also recommend to have your documents submitted at least a week before the deadline just in case there are any issues or you have questions. On deadline days they are usually very busy understandably, so they might not be able to help in time.
anyone know the difference between applying now and applying right before the first deadline? Have all the docs ready but not sure if i should submit already or continue working on it. I feel like i can keep revising them forever as long as i don't submit.
Reply 35
- Current University: Goldsmiths
- Current Course: English
- Prospective Course: Mst Literature and Arts (part-time)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Birmingham

I'm hoping at least someone here will be applying to the same programme...
There is absolutely no rush to apply earlier than a week before the deadline unless you're competing for external funding that requires you to do so. Don't stress out already guyss!!
I'm planning on applying for the same part-time Mst Literature and Arts!
Slightly nerve-wracking as it's been 15 years since I graduated with my undergrad in Music. With the break from academia and having not studied a core humanities subject, I'm not sure I have much of a chance. However, my undergrad dissertation focus and research interests align with this course, so hoping that will help. There aren't really any other part-time postgrad courses that fit my specific interests!

Original post by Ana1998
- Current University: Goldsmiths
- Current Course: English
- Prospective Course: Mst Literature and Arts (part-time)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Birmingham

I'm hoping at least someone here will be applying to the same programme...
- Current University: University of Toronto
- Current Course: History
- Achieved Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MSt History

Anyone have advice on the dreaded personal statement?
Currently trying to decide which college to put down! I'm between Magdalen and St. Catherine's, unsure which to choose! Kind of bummed we can't put down more than one preference, because I would definitely do that haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending