The Student Room Group

University note taking: Ipad Pro vs Ipad air

I am thinking of getting a Ipad although I can't decide between the pro or the air.

I see many videos online about how note taking is so much more efficient on an Ipad PRO over pen-paper and I don't fancy carrying around folders to uni.
I don't plan on spending tonnes of money since I haven't taken out a maintenance loan and travel + food costs hella money. It is that reason why I am leaning towards getting a Ipad air.
Anyone studying with an IPad know which one is better for note taking?

I see loads of vidoes online with medical students using ipad PROS for note taking but I am worried that I won't be able to take notes on the air as well as the pro. Should I be or is there no difference??

I think apple are selling the air as a bundle with free airpods so I probably will get that (student deal). This is probably because they will release a new ipad but I aint really interested unless its a crazy big change...
Any advice or help I would love to read!

Scroll to see replies

The thing is apple are doing these deals :
And my current android phone doesn't have a headphone jack so I could do with the airpods.
I genuinely wouldn't mind spending that.
It may seem that I have answered my own question but I still am in doubt.
(edited 3 years ago)
U think its worth getting apple care for 2 year £55?
Original post by Volg Paterson
I am thinking of getting a Ipad although I can't decide between the pro or the air.

I see many videos online about how note taking is so much more efficient on an Ipad PRO over pen-paper and I don't fancy carrying around folders to uni.
I don't plan on spending tonnes of money since I haven't taken out a maintenance loan and travel + food costs hella money. It is that reason why I am leaning towards getting a Ipad air.
Anyone studying with an IPad know which one is better for note taking?

I see loads of vidoes online with medical students using ipad PROS for note taking but I am worried that I won't be able to take notes on the air as well as the pro. Should I be or is there no difference??

I think apple are selling the air as a bundle with free airpods so I probably will get that (student deal). This is probably because they will release a new ipad but I aint really interested unless its a crazy big change...
Any advice or help I would love to read!

I'm also getting an iPad but it's for y9 and im getting it for my bday on 5th September. But there have been some rumours that Apple will be releasing a new iPad in September - if this is true then don't buy the iPad just yet because the new model may be better - I remember when I bought an iPhone x and then the week after the iPhone XR came out so yh I'd wait if the rumours are true but apple already released the iPad Pro in 2020 so they may not release a new iPad. If Apple doesn't release a new iPad my original decision is the iPad Pro and I have had the iPad pro before but I was really clumsy one day and I didn't have my screen protector on and it literally cracked like the whole screen cracked - this was 2 weeks ago. With the experience I have had with the Ipad Pro I can say it is really good for note-taking and many study YouTubers I watch say the Ipad Pro is better than the Ipad Air. I have seen the Ipad Air it isn't that amazing but it still is a good option. Also for the deal, I'm sure you can get any apple iPad or like MacBook with the deal - You just have to show that you're in y11,y12,y13, college or like in university to get the deal. My cousin, he got the Ipad Pro - he is going into y11 in September and he says the Ipad pro is much better than the air. But in the end, it's just which one you prefer to be honest. They are both really good but I think the Apple Ipad Pro is better in my opinion. Also, Apple Warranty is more expensive on the Ipad Pro - it is like £130 but on the Apple Ipad Air, it's like £60.
Original post by Zara - Alea
I'm also getting an iPad but it's for y9 and im getting it for my bday on 5th September. But there have been some rumours that Apple will be releasing a new iPad in September - if this is true then don't buy the iPad just yet because the new model may be better - I remember when I bought an iPhone x and then the week after the iPhone XR came out so yh I'd wait if the rumours are true but apple already released the iPad Pro in 2020 so they may not release a new iPad. If Apple doesn't release a new iPad my original decision is the iPad Pro and I have had the iPad pro before but I was really clumsy one day and I didn't have my screen protector on and it literally cracked like the whole screen cracked - this was 2 weeks ago. With the experience I have had with the Ipad Pro I can say it is really good for note-taking and many study YouTubers I watch say the Ipad Pro is better than the Ipad Air. I have seen the Ipad Air it isn't that amazing but it still is a good option. Also for the deal, I'm sure you can get any apple iPad or like MacBook with the deal - You just have to show that you're in y11,y12,y13, college or like in university to get the deal. My cousin, he got the Ipad Pro - he is going into y11 in September and he says the Ipad pro is much better than the air. But in the end, it's just which one you prefer to be honest. They are both really good but I think the Apple Ipad Pro is better in my opinion. Also, Apple Warranty is more expensive on the Ipad Pro - it is like £130 but on the Apple Ipad Air, it's like £60.

After doing a lot of research I believe that the air 3rd gen is the way to go although I would love to be proven wrong.
I read that
"this is because the A12 chip in the iPad Air is so powerful that to buy an iPad Pro is simply unjustified unless you plan on using it for about 1 year longer than you would with an Air. The Air has all the main features of the Pro such as a laminated display, Apple Pencil support, Smart Connector for the Smart Keyboard. The screen of the Air isn't particularly small either. At 10.5 inches, the Air is only 0.5 inches smaller than the Pro closest to its size. Honestly, don’t waste your money on a Pro, buy an Air as it gives you the most bang for your buck"

Your cousin that has the pro saying its better than the air just seems unjustified but it really is preference at the end of the day.
For 90% of students:
The pro is £350 more than the air 3rd gen and for our needs as a student I really don't think you or I need a pro. (You just want it)

As a student doing extreme creation and work with the apple pencil the ipad air 3rd gen seems like the way to go.

But if you got a lot of money to spend and require professional needs such as video editing etc I would go for the pro.
I've got the 2018 ipad pro and I don't regret it😂 I spent months deciding between different models but I think the pro is definitely worth it
Original post by Lookingzar
I've got the 2018 ipad pro and I don't regret it😂 I spent months deciding between different models but I think the pro is definitely worth it

What makes you think the pro is worth spending £300 more over the air. If you can try persuade, I will get it :biggrin:.
(edited 3 years ago)
Ive heard good things about the Surface Pros. I already got a laptop and tbh I don't think I really need one. Just need something that can take notes without me having to consolidate through folders and folders of paperwork.
What makes you think the pro is worth spending £300 more over the air. If you can try persuade, I will get it :biggrin:.

I got mine for £550 so it wasn't much of a price difference. I should have stayed that in my original post sorry
To be honest I can't even tell the difference between 60hz and 90hz on my phone, I don't think I need 120 anytime soon unless it works differently on tablets.
The screen to body ratio is aesthetically better and I think thats a good reason but not good enough to be spending 300 more. The faster USB type C shouldn't bother me too much (hopefully ) since I am gonna leave it overnight for uni the next day. For the camera I would prefer using my phone and sending it to my IPAD.
I think its clear what I need and what I want.
Original post by Lookingzar
I got mine for £550 so it wasn't much of a price difference. I should have stayed that in my original post sorry

Thats quite a deal. I would actually consider it if it wasn't for the free airpods I am getting in the bundle.
Case closed then I guess. I'd be gutted if they released a crazy IPad air 4th gen at the end of 2020 and its wayyy better. But if it was it would probably be way more expensive too.
Just puchased it and I am feeling soooo guilty. All that hard earn't money gone but hopefully its all justified since my intentions are for the best outcome at uni.
The thing is apple are doing these deals :
And my current android phone doesn't have a headphone jack so I could do with the airpods.
I genuinely wouldn't mind spending that.
It may seem that I have answered my own question but I still am in doubt.

Ipad air. Pro is a rip off. Pro is mainly for the people who do photoshop etc. For note-taking a pro would be like buying a lambo to go to tescos to buy milk. You don’t need a lambo, you can buy milk by walking or getting a cheap fiat (ie ipad air)
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey guys and girls!!

Just wanted to open this chat up again after the new apple event.

I spent a grand total of 540 for an apple pencil first gen, apple ipad air 3rd gen and air pods 2.0.

Do you think its worth me returning it all for the new Ipad air 4th gen. Looks a little overkill but its selling for 580 rn w/o student deals.

Any thoughts ?
I upgraded from an iPad Air to an iPad Pro and in my opinion it is so much better! I have a paper like screen protector on mine and a digital planner. I find that taking notes on the iPad Pro is a lot easier and you can use split screen to write notes from PowerPoints or virtual lessons etc.
I can't find at student deals bringing it down to 630 could you show me where they are ?
I checked unidays and the current deals are only on the latest ipad pro and not on the new ipad air. :frown:
Hey guys and girls!!

Just wanted to open this chat up again after the new apple event.

I spent a grand total of 540 for an apple pencil first gen, apple ipad air 3rd gen and air pods 2.0.

Do you think its worth me returning it all for the new Ipad air 4th gen. Looks a little overkill but its selling for 580 rn w/o student deals.

Any thoughts ?

Any updates? I recently bought the iPad Air 4 with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil for £570 and it’s amazing!
Original post by Y1_UniMaths
Any updates? I recently bought the iPad Air 4 with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil for £570 and it’s amazing!

howd you get it so cheap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending