The Student Room Group

The Current Year 9 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AUsmile
Quick question-Is anyone else’s school telling them they CAN’T wear masks on school property????

U know actually idk. My school hasn't said anything about masks at all but we will be in like year group pods so we won't be with a lot of students at the same time so we may not have to wear masks. But I think you should have the right to wear masks...like hello school people we kids are more sensible than you cus we are trying to wear masks for our health...
So are u not allowed to wear masks at ur school when u go back then?
Original post by Zara - Alea
U know actually idk. My school hasn't said anything about masks at all but we will be in like year group pods so we won't be with a lot of students at the same time so we may not have to wear masks. But I think you should have the right to wear masks...like hello school people we kids are more sensible than you cus we are trying to wear masks for our health...
So are u not allowed to wear masks at ur school when u go back then?

Yeah we’re not allowed on school property-I don’t think we’re gonna be in bubble because since we’ve picked our GCSE we have different lessons and classes.They even said we’re gonna follow our timetable.

We’re going back staggered.
Tue 8th-New year 7 and 12
Wed 9th-New year 8
Thur-Near year 9 and 10 (this includes me
Fri- new year 11 and 13(I think)
Then from Monday next week we’ll follow our normal timetable
Stationery addicts - what do you think about this binder as a "day folder" for Year 9 students and upwards? An all-in-one binder encompassing expanding folders, A4 lever arch, mesh pouch for pens/calculator etc. and pockets for refill pads/tablets etc...
Original post by Nelsonfi
Stationery addicts - what do you think about this binder as a "day folder" for Year 9 students and upwards? An all-in-one binder encompassing expanding folders, A4 lever arch, mesh pouch for pens/calculator etc. and pockets for refill pads/tablets etc...

Damn that’s pretty good.
Original post by Nelsonfi

As a fellow stationery addict,(I am obsessed with stationery I have spent £200 on back to school stuff so yh stationery addict) all I can say is wow. You have found a pretty good folder there my friend.
Hey I’m Alexandra, but call me Alex.

Hobbies/Interests
I love to draw and play video games. I’m not very sporty because I’m quite uncoordinated - I tried dancing and I looked like a drunk grasshopper. I’m interested in kpop (don’t attack me haha) and learning languages. I also want to learn to sing better.

Subjects currently studying
Most of the normal ones for KS3

GCSE choices
I want to do English Literature, Maths, Separate Sciences, Spanish, Geography, Business, Sociology, Psychology

Favourite subject: all the Sciences
Least Favourite: Probably computer science because some of it’s quite difficult to understand for me.

Predicted grades:
Don’t really know because I’m homeschooled

Future career: Veterinary Radiologist or Zoologist

How do you feel about starting year 9: Excited but a little nervous

One interesting fact: I have a lazy eye 🗿
Original post by Cardinally

Hobbies/Interests
I love to draw and play video games. I’m not very sporty because I’m quite uncoordinated - I tried dancing and I looked like a drunk grasshopper. I’m interested in kpop (don’t attack me haha) and learning languages. I also want to learn to sing better.

GCSE choices
I want to do English Literature, Maths, Separate Sciences, Spanish, Geography, Business, Sociology, Psychology

Least Favourite: Probably computer science because some of it’s quite difficult to understand for me.

Predicted grades:

Ah very nice to meet you Alex. You said you are interested in languages. What languages are you learning? I am learning well trying to learn 15. Also, if you want to sing better I recommend trying different songs not just from the pop category - it really helps. Also, I think whilst learning your different languages try singing in them as well - that helps as well. I do singing and I have done many exams on singing and can sing in literally any language I'm told to sing in but I have to know the song though - so yh trust me on my singing advice.
Ah very nice to meet you Alex. You said you are interested in languages. What languages are you learning? I am learning well trying to learn 15. Also, if you want to sing better I recommend trying different songs not just from the pop category - it really helps. Also, I think whilst learning your different languages try singing in them as well - that helps as well. I do singing and I have done many exams on singing and can sing in literally any language I'm told to sing in but I have to know the song though - so yh trust me on my singing advice.

I’m currently learning Spanish for school but I want to learn French, Norwegian and Japanese. It’s impressive that you’re trying to learn 15!

Thanks for the advice on the singing. I can kind of sing alright but my voice isn’t very strong so I just need to practice more. I will try to step out of my comfort zone with the genre of songs I sing.
I’m currently learning Spanish for school but I want to learn French, Norwegian and Japanese. It’s impressive that you’re trying to learn 15!

Thanks for the advice on the singing. I can kind of sing alright but my voice isn’t very strong so I just need to practice more. I will try to step out of my comfort zone with the genre of songs I sing.

If you are wanting to learn French, Norwegian and Japanese I recommend Duolingo. They do all the 3 languages you want to learn and for Japanese and French try FluentU - I have used both for my languages. FluentU will be better to help you learn french though - I have used it and I have been speaking French since age 3. So yh definitely check those 2 out. No problem on the advice for singing. To strengthen your voice I would definitely recommend trying various singing warmups as they will help you strengthen your inner vocals. For different genres, I would recommend jazz and classical. They have very varied notes so by using a variety of notes and using different vocal warm-ups this will help you strengthen your voice. I would also recommend listening to Eurovision songs. Eurovision is a song contest where countries from all around the world participate and their songs have a lot of genres but are also quite fun and some are also easy to sing. If you ever need help with any singing advice or like choosing a genre or if you need help with languages you can always chat with me on here or on direct email thingy on here as well.
If you are wanting to learn French, Norwegian and Japanese I recommend Duolingo. They do all the 3 languages you want to learn and for Japanese and French try FluentU - I have used both for my languages. FluentU will be better to help you learn french though - I have used it and I have been speaking French since age 3. So yh definitely check those 2 out. No problem on the advice for singing. To strengthen your voice I would definitely recommend trying various singing warmups as they will help you strengthen your inner vocals. For different genres, I would recommend jazz and classical. They have very varied notes so by using a variety of notes and using different vocal warm-ups this will help you strengthen your voice. I would also recommend listening to Eurovision songs. Eurovision is a song contest where countries from all around the world participate and their songs have a lot of genres but are also quite fun and some are also easy to sing. If you ever need help with any singing advice or like choosing a genre or if you need help with languages you can always chat with me on here or on direct email thingy on here as well.

Lol I was actually about to open Duolingo to do some practice. I really want to go to Japan and Norway in the future so I would like to become fluent in the languages.

Again thanks for the singing advice. 😊
As a fellow stationery addict,(I am obsessed with stationery I have spent £200 on back to school stuff so yh stationery addict) all I can say is wow. You have found a pretty good folder there my friend.

Thanks. This one is a prototype - I'm trying to see if the design needs any tweaks before I have these manufactured.

Hobbies/Interests

GCSE choices

Predicted grades:

Hey👋🏾
Original post by AUsmile
Hey👋🏾

Hey 👋🏻
Original post by AUsmile
Hi I’m Adaeze 👋🏾
I really like sports and I play Tag rugby,Netball,Athletics,Football etc.
I quite like things like Art and Bulley journaling.

I’ve picked my GCSE’s-I’m doing
Maths
English lit and Lang
Bio
Chem
Phys
Business
PE
French
Geo

Fav subject-PE or Bio
Least fav- Computer science 🤢

I don’t have predicted grades yet but so far I’ve been getting 9s,8s and the occasional 7 in Computer science 😅

I would like to be a doctor or maybe an investment Banker.
I’m excited to start year 9

One interesting fact-I LOVE stationery lol
And another one of my names is Ngoszi Chuckwu (a Nigerian name)

Kedu?

Good luck with Year 9 :h:
Original post by Vapordave
Kedu?

Good luck with Year 9 :h:

Ndeewo! O di my mma.

It’s cool to find someone else who’s Nigerian 😄

Hobbies/Interests

GCSE choices

Predicted grades:

What’s it like being homeschooled?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AUsmile
What’s it like being homeschooled?

I love it. I have a couple tutors who organise what I’m supposed to learn in their subjects. Then for the other subjects I just use textbooks and the internet. I sometimes look at curriculums from school websites to make sure I learn the correct things each year.

I am also able to make my own timetable and start/finish at my own times. This year I’m going to try and start at 8am and end at 4pm but that might not last lol.
I love it. I have a couple tutors who organise what I’m supposed to learn in their subjects. Then for the other subjects I just use textbooks and the internet. I sometimes look at curriculums from school websites to make sure I learn the correct things each year.

I am also able to make my own timetable and start/finish at my own times. This year I’m going to try and start at 8am and end at 4pm but that might not last lol.

That’s so cool.8am to 4pm sounds crazy 😭😂-if you’re able to keep it up that’s amazing tbh. Is it hard not having friends from school like most people? Also is it hard not having access to free extra curricular activities (like in school)?
Original post by AUsmile
That’s so cool.8am to 4pm sounds crazy 😭😂-if you’re able to keep it up that’s amazing tbh. Is it hard not having friends from school like most people? Also is it hard not having access to free extra curricular activities (like in school)?

yh 8am to 4pm is crazy - my school allows us to come in at 8 but we start at 8:40am and then we finish at 4pm but we can stay till 6. Im so shocked that Alex (Cardinally) actually does homeschooling - i get paranoid staying at home for more than 3 hours and i prefer school than staying at home nvm having homeschool - it must be real different.
Original post by AUsmile

I’m still in touch with some friends from primary and I’m hoping I’ll get to see them again soon. I also have two online friends I talk to, one from the uk and one from another country. Also, I’m not a really sociable person so I’m fine with how things are at the moment and will just make more friends when I’m older.

It is a bit annoying to not have access to free activities, because we haven’t got much money so can’t be spending loads on extra stuff. I try to do things myself, like teach myself how to dance, but it’s difficult and not as fun to be honest. Once again, I’ll just wait until I’m older.

Quick Reply

Latest