The Student Room Group

3rd alevel option

so im going into year 11 so ive got some time to decide but in stuck.
gcse subjecys i do

Spoiler

subjects i really dknt want to do

Spoiler

i want to be a history teacher
ive decided already on history and biology.
phsychology sounds interesting but it also seems like it has a sociology vibe ti it and ive been tokd its super hard. english language i thought might not be to hard but i dont know english isnt my favourite subject. i also thought maybe an ict subject but i dont want to do the boring jct like computer svience i want to do fun things like create adverts or dvd covers.so im really stuck and i know i ahve a year but i like to be prepared and i wknt get much time to think about a levels again. so could anyone tell me what english language is like and also if phsychology is sociology like. or what other subjects i could do .

favourite subjects

Spoiler

edit: ive just been tokd about philosophy by my friend she said both her brother and sister did it and they said its super easy and that they did next to nothing and just waffled the exam and got A*. philosophy goes well with history and i dont know if im any good at re yet as i barely started before quarantine came as i joined a new school but i can remember like what happens and beliefs maybe not for islam the names of prayers and practices but christianity isnt to hard
(edited 3 years ago)
Psychology, judging by my friends' experiences, is a sort of combination of biology and sociology, content and learning-wise. Pretty interesting, can be difficult if you struggle with essays or the scientific side, although I would assume you'd be fine if your other two subjects are History and Biology. Psychology would be a nice link between them.

Does the college/sixth form offer media studies? It's an interesting mix of Art and ICT with the occasional bit of other subjects thrown in. It sounds like you might really like it!

English Lang and English Lit are different - Literature is one a lot of people looking to study History take as it's a critical, essay-based subject, but it's by no means necessary. English Language looks more, to y understanding, at the etymology and origin of words and languages, how they're used etc, although this may vary at the schools/colleges relevant to you than those I looked at.

I understand you're not choosing yet, but if you can't make your mind up when you do apply, then consider asking if you can trial two subjects (eg your third and fourth subjects) with a view to dropping one within the first few weeks to leave you with three subjects you genuinely like and enjoy. So you might trial Psychology and Media, for example, and end up keeping Media or vice versa. Most schools are happy to accommodate this, so long as you ask nicely and with plenty of time before you start.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by OCorOOC6337
Psychology, judging by my friends' experiences, is a sort of combination of biology and sociology, content and learning-wise. Pretty interesting, can be difficult if you struggle with essays or the scientific side, although I would assume you'd be fine if your other two subjects are History and Biology. Psychology would be a nice link between them.

Does the college/sixth form offer media studies? It's an interesting mix of Art and ICT with the occasional bit of other subjects thrown in. It sounds like you might really like it!

English Lang and English Lit are different - Literature is one a lot of people looking to study History take as it's a critical, essay-based subject, but it's by no means necessary. English Language looks more, to y understanding, at the etymology and origin of words and languages, how they're used etc, although this may vary at the schools/colleges relevant to you than those I looked at.

I understand you're not choosing yet, but if you can't make your mind up when you do apply, then consider asking if you can trial two subjects (eg your third and fourth subjects) with a view to dropping one within the first few weeks to leave you with three subjects you genuinely like and enjoy. So you might trial Psychology and Media, for example, and end up keeping Media or vice versa. Most schools are happy to accommodate this, so long as you ask nicely and with plenty of time before you start.

thanks i never thought of media as i thought it was mainly art and im terrible at art
and i dont just want to go of other people like whats hard for one person might nit be that hard for me. sociokogy i find incredibly boring but therr are somethings that have been interesting in sociology just the majority of what ive done is dull
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by X.243llie
thanks i never thought of media as i thought it was mainly art and im terrible at art
and i dont just want to go of other people like whats hard for one person might nit be that hard for me. sociokogy i find incredibly boring but therr are somethings that have been interesting in sociology just the majority of what ive done is dull

Yeh, I understand your point about different people's strengths. Find out how different subjects are taught, what type of exams do they have (eg are they more essay-based, is there coursework etc) and see what will suit you better. If you can get a variety (although history and biology are already pretty varied, luckily) then that's even better as it shows that you have different aptitudes, abilities and interests.

As for media, one of my friends takes it. He's done a lot of analysis of different films, magazines and such, and his coursework is to create his own magazine, which is why I thought of it!
Reply 4
Yeh, I understand your point about different people's strengths. Find out how different subjects are taught, what type of exams do they have (eg are they more essay-based, is there coursework etc) and see what will suit you better. If you can get a variety (although history and biology are already pretty varied, luckily) then that's even better as it shows that you have different aptitudes, abilities and interests.

As for media, one of my friends takes it. He's done a lot of analysis of different films, magazines and such, and his coursework is to create his own magazine, which is why I thought of it!

its deffinately one to go on the list and ive beej told that you dont have to do the subjects at gcse to be able to do the a level is that right?
its deffinately one to go on the list and ive beej told that you dont have to do the subjects at gcse to be able to do the a level is that right?

Yep! Again, referencing my friend - he did ICT at GCSE and our school didn't have Media at GCSE so he took both at A-Level, and whilst the ICT's helped a little, he's effectively been learning it all from the base up and been quite happy with it so far.
Some subjects would much rather you'd taken them before (definitely the languages, I think, and probs Geography/History) but those either don't apply to you or are already sorted, so I think you'll be fine in that regard.
Can you take an A-Level in SPaG?
Reply 7
Yep! Again, referencing my friend - he did ICT at GCSE and our school didn't have Media at GCSE so he took both at A-Level, and whilst the ICT's helped a little, he's effectively been learning it all from the base up and been quite happy with it so far.
Some subjects would much rather you'd taken them before (definitely the languages, I think, and probs Geography/History) but those either don't apply to you or are already sorted, so I think you'll be fine in that regard.

oh thats cool then as it would be nice to do a more creative fun subject as it is 2 years and theres less variety , im moving houses at the end of year 11 but media every sixth form or colledge does and ik not that bad at art if i put my head to it and acctually concentrate .
oh thats cool then as it would be nice to do a more creative fun subject as it is 2 years and theres less variety , im moving houses at the end of year 11 but media every sixth form or colledge does and ik not that bad at art if i put my head to it and acctually concentrate .

It's less directly Art and more looking at the composition and aesthetics of things? Understanding the theory behind the art, if that makes sense, and being able to analyse and understand its use. So I reckon you'll be fine!
Reply 9
It's less directly Art and more looking at the composition and aesthetics of things? Understanding the theory behind the art, if that makes sense, and being able to analyse and understand its use. So I reckon you'll be fine!

oh i like that creative imedia is very similar except its more to do with computers. but we do thibgs like moodboard and stpry boards and visualization diagrams and we have to write about its purpose and why its used. we often have to look at moodboards for example and see whats can be improved. i think media is perfect thanks and it sounds fun and if its similar to creative imedia then ill love it. thanks again
Reply 10

i just looked into the 3 media courses my school does and they do a btec that goes pretty much hand on hand with creative imedia as it does pre productions skills which is in creative imedia and its to do mire with online thanks this is defo something i think i coukd do in the future
i just looked into the 3 media courses my school does and they do a btec that goes pretty much hand on hand with creative imedia as it does pre productions skills which is in creative imedia and its to do mire with online thanks this is defo something i think i coukd do in the future

Ah, I'm glad you think it's definitely something you'd be interested in - good luck with everything! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Ah, I'm glad you think it's definitely something you'd be interested in - good luck with everything! :biggrin:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest