The Student Room Group

Black man in Wisconsin remains in hospital after being shot by the police.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nathan_nacu
There is no justification for shooting an unarmed man *seven* times and paralysing him from the waist down. A taser could’ve been used, I have read multiple sources but there’s not a lot that’s going to do it for me 🥴 i mean you’re a cop, can you make me see that their actions were fair and justified???????

If it had been a black officer my message would still be “i hate all cops” lol, he’s just a black cop? I dislike Cops of Colour too ya know..........
I don’t particularly judge all police on one man’s actions because these incidents aren’t isolated, there is less reason for me to confidently trust them so I don’t. Yes, this isn’t America but my experiences with the police here aren’t very chummy either.

I'm not saying their actions were justified, only that we should hear their side of the story before judging. Right now you are making all sorts of assumptions, that they had no justification for dealing with this man, that there was nothing preventing the use of taser, that he posed no threat, that there was no justification for the shooting. All of those may seem self evident to you, but what if the officers have an explanation? If you want my personal opinion then from what I've seen in the video I don't think the shooting was reasonable, but I'm not completely confident in that judgement as I don't know about US policing or their training. I regularly deal with people who aren't very cooperative but I don't generally need to worry about them having a gun. That risk is always present in the US which changes things a bit and means an uncooperative suspect is going to be viewed as a much higher threat.

Would you like to give any examples of where you feel police in this country haven't been "chummy" enough with you?
Reply 41
They all clearly saw him walking in that general direction and they could’ve easily body tackled him *before* that. I just replay the situation and there was never any need to escalate to a gun. Even if there was, (wasn’t anyway) at least 1 shot alone should’ve been fine.

It's possible that their use of force training discourages that kind of thing because of weapon retention worries.
Black people will never matter in the US until there is something done in the system. It has to be updated and to do that a lot of black Americans needs to join politics and run for higher state positions. Chances of them wining is less but, trying never doesn't hurt.
Original post by iNeed2p
Black people will never matter in the US until there is something done in the system. It has to be updated and to do that a lot of black Americans needs to join politics and run for higher state positions. Chances of them wining is less but, trying never doesn't hurt.

What a nonsense generalisation
Original post by Underscore__
What a nonsense generalisation

Well, at-least i know what i know. No what i have seen or read from newspaper.
Original post by iNeed2p
Well, at-least i know what i know. No what i have seen or read from newspaper.

You’re rambling pal
Original post by JWatch
It's possible that their use of force training discourages that kind of thing because of weapon retention worries.

He was literally holding him by the shirt, a hypothetical weapon retention being a worrisome issue was beyond the realm of possibility by that point. And this is a hypothetical, the fact is it is poor decision making + lunacy.
Original post by JWatch
I'm not saying their actions were justified, only that we should hear their side of the story before judging. Right now you are making all sorts of assumptions, that they had no justification for dealing with this man, that there was nothing preventing the use of taser, that he posed no threat, that there was no justification for the shooting. All of those may seem self evident to you, but what if the officers have an explanation? If you want my personal opinion then from what I've seen in the video I don't think the shooting was reasonable, but I'm not completely confident in that judgement as I don't know about US policing or their training. I regularly deal with people who aren't very cooperative but I don't generally need to worry about them having a gun. That risk is always present in the US which changes things a bit and means an uncooperative suspect is going to be viewed as a much higher threat.

Would you like to give any examples of where you feel police in this country haven't been "chummy" enough with you?

If you are saying u aren’t justifying then proceed to say u want to “hear both sides” u are clearly looking for attempts of justification 🥴

If there was something preventing the use of a taser but *not* a gun I’m interested in what sort of magic excuse or limiter that would be.

There is no justifiable explanation for shooting a man *seven* times in the back while walking away. NOTHING will rectify that decision. If ur scared of him having a gun just bloody tackle him before he gets to the car, why would u shoot someone on the POSSIBILITY they might have a gun not once but SEVEN TIMES and PARALYSE them.

When they racially stereotype me e.g. “you match a description we have blah blah blah” meanwhile the description is nonsense (tall and black) that’s literally almost anyone looool, “you look rather suspicious blah blah blah” just because I’m wearing a tracksuit.
Another case of **** police training, If it doesn't involve a gun and cuffs they really don't know what to do.
I hope this guy gets a massive payout. He's going to need it.
Reply 50
If you are saying u aren’t justifying then proceed to say u want to “hear both sides” u are clearly looking for attempts of justification 🥴

I'm not. I don't personally think it was justified from the video I saw but I do think it's right to hear both sides of the story. Maybe they have an explanation, maybe they don't, but something I've learned in my profession is never jump to conclusions even if something seems obvious. With respect I think you are letting your dislike for the police cloud your judgement in not wanting to hear their side of the story. I know that you don't trust us. If officers have treated you badly in the past then I am genuinely sorry that you've experienced that. But if you were accused of a serious crime you would want us to listen to your explanation, you would want to have the chance to tell us your side of the story right? So why does these officers not deserve that same opportunity?
Original post by Underscore__
You’re rambling pal

Ok budd. Just wait while you hear another one get shot for no absolute reason. It will keep going on and on. Want black people to fix this issue? it's simple, let a lot of educated black minority be in the power and then apply the Malcom X number 1 rule which is, Black people have to sit down and accept themselves first before any one else does. Because i can tell you a lot of them are uncle tom and the rest are killing each other with guns, knives and drugs.
Original post by JWatch
I'm not. I don't personally think it was justified from the video I saw but I do think it's right to hear both sides of the story. Maybe they have an explanation, maybe they don't, but something I've learned in my profession is never jump to conclusions even if something seems obvious. With respect I think you are letting your dislike for the police cloud your judgement in not wanting to hear their side of the story. I know that you don't trust us. If officers have treated you badly in the past then I am genuinely sorry that you've experienced that. But if you were accused of a serious crime you would want us to listen to your explanation, you would want to have the chance to tell us your side of the story right? So why does these officers not deserve that same opportunity?

As i said, my judgement isn’t clouded. My reasoning is simple:

There is no justification for the shots especially the number
Suspect was unarmed
Fears of weapon retention became illogical when they gripped his shirt and didn’t just fully body tackle him
Due to the fear of weapon retention being illogical there are plenty of deescalation routes that could’ve been used (tasers, tackles).
if force isn’t allowed but gunshots are ill be damned
IF there was any magical reason which somehow made a gunshot justified (and i hold a 0.01% chance there was) then they should’ve stopped at 1 shot. 7 = borderline lunacy.

He was not accused of a serious crime, that is not his situation and it makes it easier to justify what happened by using a texas sharpshooter fallacy. The police were called for the women fighting but he decided to focus on the black man that he was NOT called for. Just that premise diminishes any hope of us viewing the situation as fair.

The police lost their right to ‘tell their story’ after they paralysed a man for no reason IN FRONT OF HIS THREE CHILDREN. If i had my way the officer who fired the shots would be publicly executed and buried in an unmarked grave to deter future occurrences like these ❤️

Black ppl keep getting told if they don’t want to die by the police we have to be saints, at this point if everytime a policeman unjustifiably murdered someone, then we executed them in the same way they killed their innocent victim, the problem would be stopped/solved much quicker 🥰
(edited 3 years ago)
Kenosha in flames

I'm laughing because these riots are all in Democrat cities and their communities will be ruined as all the business moves out.

LOL

*gets out popcorn*

These people have such low IQs

I am a White supremacist because Whites are superior just look at space travel it's nearly entirely a White invention.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by SmugConservative
I'm laughing because these riots are all in Democrat cities and their communities will be ruined as all the business moves out.

In the modern history of liberal cosmopolitan cities, many riots have come and gone, and their economic growth has only skyrocketed.
The Wisconsin police will shoot an unarmed black man seven times in the back.

But when a white man starts executing people in the street, not only do they not attempt to liquidate a violent armed criminal, but they initially made no attempt to arrest him.
There's probably a white man in a Wisconsin hospital after being shot by police too.
Reply 57
Original post by Kitten in boots
But when a white man starts executing people in the street, not only do they not attempt to liquidate a violent armed criminal, but they initially made no attempt to arrest him.

They may have even had a little hang-out with the little ****er and offered him some water.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/08/kyle-rittenhouse/
Video of the 17-year old shooter in Wisconsin

Word of warning, shots are fired, and someone collapses.

Spoiler

The hooded man is shot in the chest shortly after this picture was taken.

According to reports, this is one of the men who was shot by the 17-year old.

I cannot for the life of me understand the reasoning behind a 17-year old boy from Illinois, travelling to Wisconsin with a weapon (which is a felony)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Occitanie

I cannot for the life of me understand the reasoning behind a 17-year old boy from Illinois, travelling to Wisconsin with a weapon (which is a felony)

Because right-wing militias are actively encouraged by US law enforcement?

Here's the video where law enforcement can be heard telling the militia that they "appreciate them being here"

And here's one of the shooter's fellow militia members talking about how the police contrived to push the protesters toward the militia, so that they can "deal with them".

Quick Reply

Latest