The Student Room Group

Can Uni take place away because of stupidity? b:

I am so stressed out about settling on a course. I have an offer from a brilliant uni, but maybe want to study another course. So, I asked them several times (at different times; situations in clearing) whether I can change.
Now I´m afraid of them taking my initial offer away because they´ll think I´m stupid or something. Is this possible?
I didn´t provide false information or anything
Original post by ninjacaty
I am so stressed out about settling on a course. I have an offer from a brilliant uni, but maybe want to study another course. So, I asked them several times (at different times; situations in clearing) whether I can change.
Now I´m afraid of them taking my initial offer away because they´ll think I´m stupid or something. Is this possible?

Make your mind up one way or the other and if you have an offer accept it or not.
Check on the uni site about the criteria for changing courses.
Wouldnt it make more sense just to apply for the course you want?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Make your mind up one way or the other and if you have an offer accept it or not.
Check on the uni site about the criteria for changing courses.
Wouldnt it make more sense just to apply for the course you want?

I like both courses, the one I have and the other one I want to change to. The second one just appeals to me a bit more. However, I would still study the first one. Could the uni say, they will withdraw my first offer because of my indecision, and leave me with nothing?
If I got an offer for the second course, i´d take it, however, if they won´t let me change, I´d stick with course number 1.
They can't (and would't realistically even if they could) rescind your offer for asking whether you can change.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
They can't (and would't realistically even if they could) rescind your offer for asking whether you can change.

are you 100 % sure? That´s great news. I don´t mind if they think I´m crazy or anything but I really don´ t want to lose my place O:

I'm sure the Uni will understand you being a bit wobbly at the moment, it's been a very hectic year for Unis and students alike. You do need to come to a decision though. You could always accept your current offer, go to the Uni then ask to change courses.
I like both courses, the one I have and the other one I want to change to. The second one just appeals to me a bit more. However, I would still study the first one. Could the uni say, they will withdraw my first offer because of my indecision, and leave me with nothing?
If I got an offer for the second course, i´d take it, however, if they won´t let me change, I´d stick with course number 1.

Honestly I bet the people from admissions just want you to make up your mind and then contact them when you have.
Highly unlikely they would withdraw an offer based on you being annoying and indecisive.
Unless they have stated the offer will be open for a set time as they sometimes stipulate, then they can withdraw an offer any time before it is accepted. They will have said something.
Youd better get your skates on and make your mind up before the offer expires if they set a deadline.

Ps you will see my answer is different from that of artful lounger.
(edited 3 years ago)

They will not take back your offer, but they do need to know ASAP what course you wish to do because of availability and admin-y stuff. Contact them as soon as you have decided, when you have decided. What courses, just out of interest? :smile:
Reply 8
Honestly I bet the people from admissions just want you to make up your mind and then contact them when you have.
Highly unlikely they would withdraw an offer based on you being annoying and indecisive.
Unless they have stated the offer will be open for a set time as they sometimes stipulate, then they can withdraw an offer any time before it is accepted. They will have said something.
Youd better get your skates on and make your mind up before the offer expires if they set a deadline.

Ps you will see my answer is different from that of artful lounger.

I already accepted the uncondtional offer. Does this change anything?
Reply 9
Original post by CTLeafez
I'm sure the Uni will understand you being a bit wobbly at the moment, it's been a very hectic year for Unis and students alike. You do need to come to a decision though. You could always accept your current offer, go to the Uni then ask to change courses.

Thanks, i have accepted the offer back in June (it was not through clearing), but now think about switiching to a course in clearing. Honestly, it´s pretty stressful to force myself to know what I want, but as long as the uni won´t withdraw my unconditional offer, all is well :biggrin:
Thanks, i have accepted the offer back in June (it was not through clearing), but now think about switiching to a course in clearing. Honestly, it´s pretty stressful to force myself to know what I want, but as long as the uni won´t withdraw my unconditional offer, all is well :biggrin:

Don't you have to 'give up' your offer to go into Clearing?... Seems a tad risky if so. I'm sure someone more in the know will respond soon.

I thought you were wanting to change courses internally at the same University. If so, maybe you're better asking your Uni internally rather than externally through clearing.
I already accepted the uncondtional offer. Does this change anything?

Why didnt you say that at the beginning?
Yes you now have a contract.

I repeat again all the advice I said previously which you seem to have ignored.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by CTLeafez
Don't you have to 'give up' your offer to go into Clearing?... Seems a tad risky if so. I'm sure someone more in the know will respond soon.

I thought you were wanting to change courses internally at the same University. If so, maybe you're better asking your Uni internally rather than externally through clearing.

Yes, that´s exatly what I´m doing. I have accepted an unconditional from my uni and want to switch to another course at the SAME uni. Of course, I won´t go into clearing, but ask them to change since clearing places are available.
I was just afraid of them taking my place away because of my indecision.
Reply 13
Why didnt you say that at the beginning?
Yes you now have a contract.

I repeat again all the advice I said previously which you seem to have ignored.

Indeed :b
Indeed :b

Just contact them when you are certain that if they say 'yes' on the spot you will not change your mind again. All they can do is say no, and leave you with your current course which you have said you like anyway. None of us can really advise you until you have spoken to the uni :smile:

They won’t think you’re stupid and there was no harm in asking. If they can move you to the new course they will but if not your existing choice is safe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending