The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Is Northumbria that bad ??

I am offered a place for law at Northumbria and there’s not other option for me to get accepted to other unis for this year or next year or with foundations or with alternatives. So I was wondering whether it’s acc that bad as people say and if so why is it that bad
No cos I go there and wherever I go it's always good.

Spoiler

Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Since you're doing Law, this has been said over and over again. Unless you'll be doing your Law degree at a Russell Group university, there is a very little to no chance that you'll be practising law or accepted at any law firm. Most Law graduates (about 60%) go into Law with such high expectations, and then end up going in a non-related field. If you'll be studying Law for the sake of it, then by all means, do so. However, do not expect to get a training contract with a degree from there. This isn't me even being negative. It's just the reality. Even Russell Group students sometimes fail to get training contracts if it isn't from a top ten university. I'd strongly advice you to take a financial degree. Law is an already saturated field, and getting a degree from Northumbria won't do you any justice other than a life of debt.
It's not about the uni, it's what you make of it- study hard at law get your degree and you'll be fine
Original post by Anonymous
It's not about the uni, it's what you make of it- study hard at law get your degree and you'll be fine

Please do not lie to this person. When it comes to a Law degree, it most definitely matters where you were taught at that.
Original post by Ali12121
Please do not lie to this person. When it comes to a Law degree, it most definitely matters where you were taught at that.

And please do not cancel out the possibility of this not happening to OP

Just trying to keep positive here, i know quite a few non-Russell group students who have managed to get training contracts one even got one from an MC firm

You are very true in the sense that law is a hard field to receive a training contract from, that why those people who do not get the best a levels or go to the best uni's balance this out with getting work experiences, internships, volunteering doing extra circulars and getting 1st in their degrees and are some what successful.
Northumbria is comfortably mid table for law, beating the likes of Sussex, UWE, Westminster, De Montfort. It's fine.
Original post by Anonymous
Northumbria is comfortably mid table for law, beating the likes of Sussex, UWE, Westminster, De Montfort. It's fine.

Northumbria beats Sussex? Who are you kidding?
Original post by Ali12121
Northumbria beats Sussex? Who are you kidding?

Sorry quite right - Essex I meant, according to Complete Uni Guide.
I’m going to Northumbria to just fill my gap year then I’ll be deciding whether to stay or transfer to my desired uni as I’m retaking my a levels. If you are planning to live in Newcastle you’ll be able to get a training contract from a regional firm. When I went to a law fair a lot of solicitors that were working at firms like Irwin Mitchell and Womble bond & Dickinson had graduated from Northumbria, so the people saying you won’t be able to become a solicitor, you can. You just need the relevant work experience. I’d say Northumbria is only really good for law, everything else is crap.
Reply 10
what about Civil Engineering?
Original post by bealaf
what about Civil Engineering?

Check the league table for civil engineering on the compete uni guide.
If your subject is high in demand ( needs more workers ) then I wouldn’t fuss about the university, however if it is competitive then I’d recommend to check the league table as thats what employers might look for and see which uni you applied for is the highest among them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending