The Student Room Group

Tips for putting on weight?

I’m 4’11 and 7 stone and everyone always goes on about how skinny I am so I’d like to put weight on. Cause I’d love to start running again but I noticed my bum/boobs go first which makes me look even more skinner. Please help guys!

Scroll to see replies

just eat? alot?
Original post by vix.xvi
just eat? alot?

Not helpful.
Original post by Ali12121
Not helpful.

alright
Caloric surplus.
Original post by Lauododns
I’m 4’11 and 7 stone and everyone always goes on about how skinny I am so I’d like to put weight on. Cause I’d love to start running again but I noticed my bum/boobs go first which makes me look even more skinner. Please help guys!

Okay, so people who have no clue about nutrition or personal training (most people on Studentroom) would not be giving you any sensible advice. Gaining weight is as hard as losing weight and only professionals or those who have been through it would properly understand this. I would honestly suggest that you take protein supplements and work out which would motivate you to eat more and help you achieve a better appetite. Start with your normal plate and gradually add some more to it each day. Do not force yourself to eat a lot because otherwise, you'll end up feeling sick which is normal considering your stomach ain't used to getting more food in. Make sure it's gradual, exercise and go slow with it all.
Reply 6
Okay, so people who have no clue about nutrition or personal training (most people on Studentroom) would not be giving you any sensible advice. Gaining weight is as hard as losing weight and only professionals or those who have been through it would properly understand this. I would honestly suggest that you take protein supplements and work out which would motivate you to eat more and help you achieve a better appetite. Start with your normal plate and gradually add some more to it each day. Do not force yourself to eat a lot because otherwise, you'll end up feeling sick which is normal considering your stomach ain't used to getting more food in. Make sure it's gradual, exercise and go slow with it all.

Bit vague. Adding "more" isn't helpful if they'll end up gaining fat. What is better advice (and what I recommend) is to work out your TDEE and eat 200-400 calories above that figure. Any more, and you'll risk gaining too much fat, which isn't the point of a 'bulk' (completely depends on your own goals though).
Original post by gtty123
Bit vague. Adding "more" isn't helpful if they'll end up gaining fat. What is better advice (and what I recommend) is to work out your TDEE and eat 200-400 calories above that figure. Any more, and you'll risk gaining too much fat, which isn't the point of a 'bulk' (completely depends on your own goals though).

Bit vague? Your advice is stupid and generic.
Reply 8
Bit vague? Your advice is stupid and generic.

Salty much? My advice is not "stupid and generic". Only an idiot would see it that way. I've given helpful advice (far better than yours) which is far more beneficial.
Original post by gtty123
Salty much? My advice is not "stupid and generic". Only an idiot would see it that way. I've given helpful advice (far better than yours) which is far more beneficial.

You seem rather uneducated. Do not spread false information about fitness and health on here. It clearly isn't your specialty.
Get to the gym start do squats and lunges etc while taking whey protein as well as trying to bulk healthy in order to gain calories and therefore weight
You seem rather uneducated. Do not spread false information about fitness and health on here. It clearly isn't your specialty.

Of course I am. I didn't realise I'm against people who are experts (such as yourself).

@Dax_Swagg3r and @Nutritionist apparently I'm "rather uneducated". Please, scold me for spreading "false information" as claimed by the great @Ali12121.
I'm no professional, but I'd recommend eating slightly larger portions (adding an extra spoonful of potatoes, or having another slice of meat etc) and look to healthy snacks that are good for energy and sometimes high in calories, e.g. nuts. Don't start binge-eating, or going through lots of unhealthy calorific foods. Keep your nutrition/food types in a good balance. And, as I believe someone else mentioned, consult with a GP or nutritionist if you can, or if any concerns crop up. Good luck and be careful of yourself!

Bro your advice is literally eat more, most people who have trouble gaining weight overestimate how much they eat and if someone were to follow your advice they may not even gain weight. The only way they can be absolutely sure that they are eating enough is by calculating their TDEE and eating more than that, this is called a caloric surplus. Once they get a feel for how many kcals they need to gain weight and are gaining weight, proven by weighing themselves on a scale, they can stop counting kcals. Ofc counting kcals is not necessary in the first place, the only thing necessary is a caloric surplus, but it is the most accurate way and prevents overeating and gaining too much fat. Do you disagree with anything I said?

Also please point out which part of @gtty123 's advice you find stupid.
Reply 14
I used the my protein meal replacement as snacks aswell as meals and the weight gain aswell. Then i just made sure to snack alot x
Original post by gtty123
Of course I am. I didn't realise I'm against people who are experts (such as yourself).

@Dax_Swagg3r and @Nutritionist apparently I'm "rather uneducated". Please, scold me for spreading "false information" as claimed by the great @Ali12121.

Getting people at your defense, are we? Because you can't stand the truth? How sad..
Reply 16

Eat lots of carb and fatty foods. High protein food adds more muscles but carbs and fat are packed with calories. Fried foods are high in fat. Opt for fried food than oven baked food.

Foods to gain weight include fried chips, chicken/fish in batter, full cream yoghurts and ice cream, full cream milk, evaporated and condensed milk, cheese, white rice, white bread, brioche bread, digestive biscuits and shortbread biscuits, bakeries such as croissants, donuts, milk chocolate smoothies and shakes, full cream rice puddings, sponge cake with jam and cream fillings. Try these for a week and you will add a ton of weight. As you eat these, have a double portion during each meal, and eat the snacks like donuts and cream sponges in between meals.

Good luck.😊
Getting people at your defense, are we? Because you can't stand the truth? How sad..

It took you 16 minutes to figure out this response? That's pathetic lol.

Anyway, I have people who can defend me against your claim - that I'm "rather uneducated". It isn't "the truth" if you have no basic evidence against me. Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

Lol I'm 43kg and 5'5 and I get teased a lot for how thin i am. You probs just have a fast metabolism like me so dw, I've tried putting on weight before and it just didnt work
Original post by gtty123
It took you 16 minutes to figure out this response? That's pathetic lol.

Anyway, I have people who can defend me against your claim - that I'm "rather uneducated". It isn't "the truth" if you have no basic evidence against me. Unlike you, I know what I'm talking about.

No, I just don't have time sitting behind a screen, waiting for low lives like you to reply. Anyway, you've already proved that your opinions are dim-witted and that you're a confused lad, must be embarrassing carrying your delusional brain haha..

Quick Reply

Latest