The Student Room Group

Tips for putting on weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ali12121
No, I just don't have time sitting behind a screen, waiting for low lives like you to reply. Anyway, you've already proved that your opinions are dim-witted and that you're a confused lad, must be embarrassing carrying your delusional brain haha..

Well, that's a lie. Why respond to me now? Idiot.

Of course, mate. I'm the confused one. If that's what helps you sleep at night, then so be it lol.

Considering that your mum is a "solicitor" (supposedly) then surely you'd base your opinion of me off of facts, not waffle you've invented?
Original post by Lauododns
I’m 4’11 and 7 stone and everyone always goes on about how skinny I am so I’d like to put weight on. Cause I’d love to start running again but I noticed my bum/boobs go first which makes me look even more skinner. Please help guys!

Remember, once you gain weight it's hard to lose it.
Original post by gtty123
Well, that's a lie. Why respond to me now? Idiot.

Of course, mate. I'm the confused one. If that's what helps you sleep at night, then so be it lol.

Considering that your mum is a "solicitor" (supposedly) then surely you'd base your opinion of me off of facts, not waffle you've invented?

Bro don't reply to him, obviously he enjoys insulting others rather than replying to my post.
Right, learn English, and then expect anyone to take your point seriously lmao, and why put solicitor in brackets? are you jealous or something? god, you must be raging right now, calm down bro, no need to throw your insecurities at me

😂😂. You idiot. You're actually hilarious.

Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Bro don't reply to him, obviously he enjoys insulting others rather than replying to my post.

True. Let's see if he responds to you. I highly doubt it.
Reply 24
Original post by H4ttie03
Lol I'm 43kg and 5'5 and I get teased a lot for how thin i am. You probs just have a fast metabolism like me so dw, I've tried putting on weight before and it just didnt work

Totally agree. I’ve got a friend she’s had 2 children and she eats anything she likes. She’s a lot skinner than me. I’ve never seen her put on weight except for her cheeks.
Original post by Ugodiya
Totally agree. I’ve got a friend she’s had 2 children and she eats anything she likes. She’s a lot skinner than me. I’ve never seen her put on weight except for her cheeks.

Lol your friend is like me (minus the children as I'm 16 lol) in the sense that I can eat whatever and I'm as still rlly thin, it's just because I've got a rlly fast metabolism
So I have a huge problem gaining weight because of genetics and all that so what has worked for me is eating normal meal portions at least ever 3 hours from when I wake up. snacking is optional but I find snacking doesnt necessarily lead to healthy weight. I also don't drink coke, I stick to diet if I have it and same goes for ant other fizzy drinks. But I still stick with water mostly. it doesn't work the quickest but as long as your meals are the same portions as before and your eating those meals within the 3 hours daily you should see a weight increase
Reply 27
Not helpful.

Original post by vix.xvi
just eat? alot?

I’ve tried that, I honestly eat a ridiculous about of stuff in a day! I’ve tried eating loads of healthy fats and I’ve tried eating loads of unhealthy fats and neither has worked :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Caloric surplus.

What is this?:smile:
Reply 29
Okay, so people who have no clue about nutrition or personal training (most people on Studentroom) would not be giving you any sensible advice. Gaining weight is as hard as losing weight and only professionals or those who have been through it would properly understand this. I would honestly suggest that you take protein supplements and work out which would motivate you to eat more and help you achieve a better appetite. Start with your normal plate and gradually add some more to it each day. Do not force yourself to eat a lot because otherwise, you'll end up feeling sick which is normal considering your stomach ain't used to getting more food in. Make sure it's gradual, exercise and go slow with it all.

Yeah I thought that but I knew some people would be able to help on here. I honestly eat so much now it’s helped very slightly but honestly not much at all...
Reply 30
Original post by gtty123
Bit vague. Adding "more" isn't helpful if they'll end up gaining fat. What is better advice (and what I recommend) is to work out your TDEE and eat 200-400 calories above that figure. Any more, and you'll risk gaining too much fat, which isn't the point of a 'bulk' (completely depends on your own goals though).

Sorry could u give me a quick explanation of what a TDEE is?:smile: I’d just like to gain more weight so I have more to work with like I can tone more (every time I’ve tried to tone up I loose loads more weight) and I’d like to be able to go on runs and not end up looking even skinner ect. I’d love to be able to grow my bum without loosing fat other places. I hope that makes sense!:smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Megaman101
Get to the gym start do squats and lunges etc while taking whey protein as well as trying to bulk healthy in order to gain calories and therefore weight

This sounds very helpful thank u!! Probably sounds silly but will it make me all muscly cause that’s not what I want I’d like to be a lot fit fatter than I am but toned if that makes sense x
Sorry could u give me a quick explanation of what a TDEE is?:smile: I’d just like to gain more weight so I have more to work with like I can tone more (every time I’ve tried to tone up I loose loads more weight) and I’d like to be able to go on runs and not end up looking even skinner ect. I’d love to be able to grow my bum without loosing fat other places. I hope that makes sense!:smile:

Yeah sure 🙂. A TDEE is your 'Total Daily Energy Expenditure'. Once you input your information (based on your stats) you'll get a figure called your 'maintenance'. Your maintenance calories are the calories you need to consume to maintain your weight. For example, let's say your TDEE was 2700. If you wanted to 'bulk' you'd eat between 2900 to 3000 calories for a safe and healthy weight gain. If you wanted to lose weight you'd eat 500 calories less than that figure.

Careful here (the bold highlighted point). You, unfortunately, don't determine where you lose weight. You can't "grow [your] bum without [losing] fat [in] other places". Either you gain muscle or you don't. I don't mean to come across harsh here, I'm just being honest so you won't get mislead 🙂.

Use this calculator to determine your TDEE: https://tdeecalculator.net

However, keep in mind that no calculators are accurate. You'll only find out what works for you through 'trial and error'.
What is this?:smile:

Eating more kcals than you burn. Search up 'tdee calculator' to estimate how many kcals you burn a day and the basis is you have to eat more than that. Do you want to gain mainly muscle or fat?

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure.
Reply 35
Original post by OCorOOC6337
I'm no professional, but I'd recommend eating slightly larger portions (adding an extra spoonful of potatoes, or having another slice of meat etc) and look to healthy snacks that are good for energy and sometimes high in calories, e.g. nuts. Don't start binge-eating, or going through lots of unhealthy calorific foods. Keep your nutrition/food types in a good balance. And, as I believe someone else mentioned, consult with a GP or nutritionist if you can, or if any concerns crop up. Good luck and be careful of yourself!

thank you this is very helpful! I went through a phase where I ate really fatty/junk foods and it didn’t work so I tried eating like Loads healthy fats and it didn’t work either. But I’ll definitely try adding more meat potato’s ect that might work. I’ll try have bigger meal portions and maybe less fatty snacks
Reply 36
Original post by Pchim
I used the my protein meal replacement as snacks aswell as meals and the weight gain aswell. Then i just made sure to snack alot x

A lot of people have mentioned protein things! Thanks for ur Other advice
Reply 37
Original post by Ugodiya
Eat lots of carb and fatty foods. High protein food adds more muscles but carbs and fat are packed with calories. Fried foods are high in fat. Opt for fried food than oven baked food.

Foods to gain weight include fried chips, chicken/fish in batter, full cream yoghurts and ice cream, full cream milk, evaporated and condensed milk, cheese, white rice, white bread, brioche bread, digestive biscuits and shortbread biscuits, bakeries such as croissants, donuts, milk chocolate smoothies and shakes, full cream rice puddings, sponge cake with jam and cream fillings. Try these for a week and you will add a ton of weight. As you eat these, have a double portion during each meal, and eat the snacks like donuts and cream sponges in between meals.

Good luck.😊

Thank u so much!!! This is so in depth I really appreciate the examples and stuff thank u:smile:x
Reply 38
Original post by H4ttie03
Lol I'm 43kg and 5'5 and I get teased a lot for how thin i am. You probs just have a fast metabolism like me so dw, I've tried putting on weight before and it just didnt work

It’s such an awful feeling isn’t it. Yeah maybe your right maybe nothing will work:frown: x
Reply 39
Right, learn English, and then expect anyone to take your point seriously lmao, and why put solicitor in brackets? are you jealous or something? god, you must be raging right now, calm down bro, no need to throw your insecurities at me

Guys please can youse stop arguing on my post, it’s not that deep! If youse don’t agree with each others advice please don’t just cause arguments over it! X

Quick Reply

Latest